To all fellow Louisianians

by minu 41 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Like, Major Ewwww! That's nasty. Thanks for the heads up on the 'dead' water-critters!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You know you're in Louisiana if you get a bo-bo, and when you get one, you jump and down yelling oo I Yi Yi Yi Yi Yi. I thought everyone everywhere called boo boos bo-bos until I saw that band aid commercial about boo boos healing fast.

If you get mad at someone and want them out of your car, you tell them, "Get out the car." Or "Get out my haus. (house)" If you want to emphasize something, you say for example: "Mad, oooo, talk about mad. He was mad."

Down in Morgan City, people sometimes called boys by their given name with boy after it, kind of like the Waltons, only not as corny. Lee-boy. But his daddy was called, Uncle T-Lee.

If your name is Richards in Texas, it becomes Ree-shard in Louisiana. My maiden name ryhmed with Bridge. The changed it to Bri-jshay.

We played in alligator and snake infested woods and nobody worried a second about us. While were out there, we swung on vines from stump to stump, explored the sticker mounds and my brothers built huts out of palmettos, like the ones on Gilligan's Island.

And you call grown women by their first name with Miss in front. My mother was Miss Jackie. My neighbor was Miss Hannas. But you called your school teachers Miss and then last name. When you got punished, you were made to kneel in the corner. But by that time they didn't make you pray because it was illegal to pray in school anymore. But it being so influenced by the Catholic Church where we were, you still had to kneel.

And along with those lillies you mentioned on the lakes, sometimes there were these things that looked like small watermelons all in the water. My dad used to take us out in the woods with his pistol and use them for target practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit