To all fellow Louisianians

by minu 41 Replies latest jw friends

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

all you locals will love this site. anyone planning a visit may want to read it.

http://www.bananacourtyard.com/lingo.htm

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

don't know why i'm having trouble linking tonight, let me try again.

http://www.bananacourtyard.com/Lingo.htm

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

For people my age, when I was a kid they didn't throw those ugly gold, purple, and red beads at Mardi Gras, they threw all kinds of colors of different shaped beads, there would different colored beads on the same necklace. The beads were transparent. I miss those. I just can't get used to the new ones.

I miss fried shrimp po boys and crab and shrimp boils or bahls. I miss the Shrimp and Petroleum Festival in Morgan City. My daddy was an oceanographer for Oceanics. Everyone's daddies worked for the oil or shrimping industry, unless they worked in retail.

I can't find a thing about Polycarp, the cartoon show host from Laffayette, that used to play in the mornings in the 1960's. Anyone remember him. He was cajun and funny as all get out. Buckskin Bill and Morgus, you can find on the net.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

flying high, they have new morgus episodes. same guy, same set, you'd think they were re-runs. they did a perfect job with the re-creation. they still run the old ones, but, they didn't tamper with it for the new ones. it's awesome. i can send you some gulf shrimp if ya want. lol

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm a Yankee, but I visited New Orleans many years ago, and loved everything about it. That city has more character and soul than every other American city I've visited (and I've been to a lot of them).

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

They have cajun food all over the place here in the pacific northwest, it became very popular a few years back. It's pretty good, but it's not cajun food. Northerers have an amazing way of making "blackened" food, that somehow isn't hot, just black. And you can never find squirrel in the gumbo.

And they don't even brew their tea here, just mix up some kind of awful powder and call it "ice tea" I never leave my house without a jug of real tea in my car, cause you can't get it anywhere here (except my house).

Don't even get me started on the barbecue here, it would break your heart......

Picken up pawpaws, put'em in your pocket, way down yonder in the pawpaw patch................

• ajwnm
    ajwnm

Love your list. Brings back all kinds of memories. Born and raised in NOLA- the Irish Channel then Algiers. Moved to Mississippi but am now in the midwest. I'm getting too old to go thru any more total losses from hurricanes. I gave up and moved north. But my heart is still in Louisiana.

I can remember going fishing and crabbing to out-of- the- way places with my momma and daddy on backroads made from shells. I was in my 20's before I realized that other people had gravel roads but ours were made from shells.

I remember miles and miles of ditches filled with those purple and blue lillies so unique to southern La.

I remember thousands of turtles sunning themselves in those very same ditches.

I remember having a contest with my siblings to see who could count the most snakes on our trips.

I remember "neutral grounds" and brick streets.

I remember home.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When I first moved to Bayou Vista, most of the streets were paved with white oyster shells, including mine. They hurt your bare feet when they are new. After hurricane Betsy, they came and paved our neighborhood with concrete streets and no ditches. The flooding was much milder after that. At least during the regular, Louisiana down pours.

Living in St. Mary Parish was a simpler, yet happy way of life.

• minu
    minu
    we speak like people from brooklyn or boston. in north louisiana, they have typical southern accents.

HA! yeah, my husband lived in MA for a while and he always tells me that I have an accent similar to Bostonians.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

ajwnm, what you wrote was beautiful. i've lived away from new orleans a few times. i always couldn't wait to get back. i love living here. where else can you find a party 24-7 and just walk down the street and hear music flowing out from the shadows. i don't know how you can stand leaving. espically the channel daw'lin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit