To all fellow Louisianians

by minu 41 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Bigdreaux, how is now after Katrina? I am afraid visiting there would be heartbreaking, seeing all the piled up debri and so on. Some of my fondest memories of childhood are visiting the French Quarter in 1969 and getting the autographs of real hippies in Jackson Square and other trips there. And also a field trip to Baton Rouge and Girl Scout Camp at Evangeline State Park.

• minu
    minu

FHN: as far as i know, the quarter wasn't affected like the 9th ward. last time i went, (a couple of weeks ago) some of the hotels and buildings on the way in to the quarter were still missing windows but n.o. is strong.........it'll get back to what it was.....

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

*psst*...*whispers* why can't you eat dead crawdads? Don't the live ones pinch on the way down?

• minu
    minu

hee hee hee.......okay what that means is.........if they are dead b-4 ( <---- this is very important) you put them to boil their tails are straight out when they get dumped on the table and ready to eat......if they were live when put in to boil then their tails are curled........you don't eat the "dead" ones, even tho by the time u r eating they are all dead.......i kno it doesn't make sense to most people.......but makes perfect sense to me!

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's been a long time since I lived down there but I do remember they called me "Sha" (that's with a short "a") after they got to know me. And instead of saying something like Brother Hebert (pronounced A-Bear) they said Brudda Hebert. I really loved the people.

• minu
    minu

journey-on: that's sweet...not being an ass but it's spelled chere'.........it's short for ma chere'...........or "my dear".

• journey-on
    journey-on

Thank you, Minu. I do remember that now. Like I said that was a long time ago but I have lots of fond memories of that period of my life.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

We used to catch crawfish in square nets, with bait in the middle. When we got home, daddy would bag them and put them in the freezer live. Then later my parents would cook them.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

flying high, first off, we no longer have debris piles. everything is cleaned up. the rebuild effort is about to get into full swing. the french quarter and uptown were untouched. they are fine. all the businesses are back up and running. it's not until you get into chalmette, new orleans east, and the ninth ward, that you see any damage. all the tourist areas are fine and are better than ever. the french quarter is actually clean now. they have people cleaning up 24-7 so it remains relatively clean. i'd like to invite you all down to have a part in our re-build effort, even if it's just as simple as listening to jazz and having some drinks.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

the joke about not eating dead crawfish confuses people. obviously, when you go to eat, they are all dead. but, when you put live crawfish in hot water, they naturally curl up. if they are not curled when you go to eat them, they were dead before they hit the water. if they were dead too long, you'll get a mouthful of something terribly foul. it may even get you sick, so, you have to be careful and only eat curled ones. it's easier to show than explain. but, when we say, don't eat the dead ones, that's what we're referring to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit