What if you're missing the purpose?

by journey-on 161 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

For instance not getting lost in the story or becoming paralysed by it, or being defined by it - but on the other hand its also possible to become lost in the oness story.

Very important point, ql. It is possible to create an ego identity around being a spiritual person who is "aware" and "enlightened". One man in my meditation group told a story of how he was on a retreat and the person next to him asked him for his "spiritual resume".

"My what?" he asked. "What is a spiritual resume?"

She replied, "Your resume of all the retreats you have been on, all the teachers you have met with, all the spiritual books you have read, etc"

He told us he burst out laughing and she got offended. He still shakes his head over that one. Talk about missing the point. It can be almost competitive. (You show me your enlightenment and I'll show you mine) Let's impress each other with our spiritual credentials. Not that different from JW's with their BO, DO, CO, PO designations. They are lost in the story of their "differentness" from Christendom's clergy/laity divisions. Ha! Talk about delusion.

Cog

• poppers
    poppers

Spiritualized ego's are especially difficult to be around. People really love to identifiy themselves as "spiritual" so they become very entrenched in that identity, making it hard to get rid of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit