What if you're missing the purpose?

by journey-on 161 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

From cog: "Well, it is a journey and this is where I currently am on my own path."

You have come a long way in one sense, journeyed down an interesting and at times a frightening patht; in another sense, a truer sense you haven't gone anywhere. Every situation is an opportunity, an invitation, to accept fully what is no matter how that appears. In that complete acceptance in every situation you will realize that you've consciously come home to a place you never really left. The journey ends when you see that the journey was all in the mind.

You said, "but I still feel lonely and unfulfilled much of the time."

Allow the feeling of this when this is felt - immerse yourself in it completely, but leave the story of it behind. The story is dead and gone because it is of the past, but the feeling is there, so feel it and accept it. That feeling will dissolve in the light of consciousness, releasing you into greater freedom. To continue to tell yourself the story behind the lonliness will continue to keep the feeling trapped inside you. The time for it to be gone is now, for that is the only time you have - right now. You are so close a feather could push you over.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Poppers

Curious. What is it about that song that speaks to you?

• poppers
    poppers

From cog: "Poppers, are you in a relationship with someone who shares your spiritual path?"

No. I have just a few female friends that I share this with but no one who has taken this to heart. I remain "single" yet fulfilled, though I don't rule out the possibility that that will remain the case.

• poppers
    poppers

From twitch: "What is it about that song that speaks to you?"

It summarizes the dilemma people have in their struggle to find happiness and the way out of that struggle - learning to be still. This is what I have found to be true. The song beautifully encapsulates the human dilemma and the simplicity of the answer. But because that answer is so simple most people don't even consider it a worthwhile one to explore. Most would rather continue searching outside themselves. Those with sincerity and true courage will actually look into it; and those who have an unquenchable thirst for the answer to what they are will find "learning to be still" the only thing necessary.

"Even if your heart is breakin'
    It's waiting for you to awaken
    And someday you will-
    Learn to be still
    Learn to be still"

That pretty much says it all.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

The time for it to be gone is now, for that is the only time you have - right now. You are so close a feather could push you over.

Sometimes I "feel" very close to a major transition. I feel urges to totally isolate myself, immerse myself in lonlieness as you say, not speak with anyone, not even my teacher for a prolonged period. I believe I will emerge on the other side of this experience of aloneness with greater strength and clarity. Yet, circumstances, and sometimes fear prevent me. Sometimes, I think too much aloneness just breeds depression and distorted thinking (think Tom Hanks in the castaway). Then I will look outside myself for a little boost. A pleasurable encounter with another person, a Starbucks double latte, etc. I do feel torn between immersing myself in solitude as much as possible or reaching out to others. I guess this is just another duality slide. Whatever situation I find myself in, should become my practice. Still, the urge to experience loneliness on a grand scale so as to face my fear of it is very strong. I even consider ending my marriage sometimes as I got married very young and have never really lived alone. A serious step and not to be taken lightly.

Cog

• poppers
    poppers

From cog: "Whatever situation I find myself in, should become my practice."

Yes, precisely. There is no need to recreate lonliness for the sake of facing it. Simply face it when it shows up unbidden. To think that you HAVE to change your situation for something that, to the mind, appears better is to become lost in a fantasy. The reality facing you in each moment is all you need to become free. But notice what actually IS real and what is mind based. Learn to recognize when mind starts to formulate future scenarios that seem to hold promise; in the moment of recognizing them for what they are, you begin to free yourself from them.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    "Even if your heart is breakin'
    It's waiting for you to awaken
    And someday you will-
    Learn to be still
    Learn to be still"

Funny how affairs of the heart can set in motion events that jumpstart one's metaphysical journey. Or alter it's course drastically to say the least.

BTW there was this woman a few years ago,....

PS Now I understand why I chose the words I did to complete my profile,....lol

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

There is no need to recreate lonliness for the sake of facing it. Simply face it when it shows up unbidden. To think that you HAVE to change your situation for something that, to the mind, appears better is to become lost in a fantasy. The reality facing you in each moment is all you need to become free.

Good advice, poppers. Loneliness shows up often enough without seeking it out. I find it difficult to live with already. The fantasy I continually have is that changing my life in some grand, dramatic gesture, reinventing myself, will speed my progress to enlightenment. Perhaps on a subconscious level, I am aware that is not true and that's what prevents me from doing anything too drastic without insight into whether it would truly be harmful or beneficial.

Still, good to have feedback and reminders from others. We all help each other on the journey. Thanks.

Cog

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

And also witnesses like to say we can see the truth others can't - so if there is any hint of exclusive understanding/knowledge to anything I'll keep questioning.

I hear you loud and clear ql.

Ironically, it's the lack of exclusivity to this way of thinking that draws me to it.

It's universal. It's real. No books or external revelations are needed to experience awareness. Tolle's book IS NOT the answer. It's just a way of explaining that which has always been there.

NVR The struggle for existance has also always been there and that too is universal. Which brings me back to the start of journey-on's thread - re to allow the struggle for ourselves, to engage with it and learn how to live.

That's why I feel that we need to allow our stories, our indiviuality our idiosyncracies, our differences. We come out of our struggles realising that we are not alone and that we are supported by the world around us.

I do practice eckhart tolle's pointers but with my own modifications. For instance not getting lost in the story or becoming paralysed by it, or being defined by it - but on the other hand its also possible to become lost in the oness story.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Most days, I love humanity and nature too, except for on the days when I hate it (often coinciding with PMS days, strangely enough!) This too is awareness of the cycles of life.

me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit