How Do You Stretch Your Food Dollars?

by compound complex 49 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK

Wild mushrooms. A few days after a good rain, local people head into the woods and pick mushrooms. It's on my to do list to learn because you have to know which mushrooms are edible. They are very delicious and the best part, they are free.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes it's very expensive in California. When I went last year I shopped at a Safeway and was amazed to find that a dozen eggs cost $2.99 and an eighteen count carton was $4.69. Eggs here for a dozen large range from 79 cents to $1.29.

Oh I have a link for that Share program in California if you're interested: http://www.atcaa.org/whatisshare.htm

And here's another link for the program in other states: http://www.wholesaledistributorsnet.com/SHARE_food.html

And here's a national number if needed 1800 637-5508

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Red Beans and Rice

Lots of protein, filling, and tasty!

Soak 1 bag of red beans overnight in bowl of water, salted 1 tsp. salt.

Drain and place in large stew pot. Add water to cover beans and simmer for 2-? hours til soft. Take 1/2 beans and mash and re-introduce to pot. Add a little more water if too thick. Add 1 tsp. of tobasco, 1 tsp. of pepper, 1 tsp garlic salt, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and salt to taste. Cut up some scallions (about 1/4 cup) and put in.

Rice:

Boil two eggs til hard boiled, de-shell, mince and place to the side.

Bring some water to boil and add 1/4 cup chicken livers and cook til done. Mince.

1/4 cup celery minced.

2 cups of chicken stock, celery, and bring to boil. Add 1 cup rice, reduce to simmer and cook as long as mentioned on package of rice.

Add chicken livers, egg, garlic salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp. hot sauce.

Pour red bean mixture over rice and enjoy!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Five hours later ....

Thank you DJK, Josie and Country Girl,

Wild mushrooms are certainly the way to go, but with a book or expert gatherer at hand! Will try those links, J. You're sure right about egg prices - there's even an explanation posted at the refrigerator case about the rise in grain prices, etc. Now I know what to do with all those chicken livers frozen away since the dawn of time! I had no imagination on their prep [I really do love liver].

I am grateful for your contributions.

CoCo

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    sour dough starter

Hortensia - is this what I would call 'perpetual bread'? We had that when I was young - you let the dough rise, only bake half of it and then the unbaked half you'd add a little more flour and water (? - I was young, can't remember!) and leave it to rise again - but you only ever had to bake half of it each time.

My staple diet is potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts - all home grown (works out very cheap and tastes nicer!), pasta because you don't need much to fill you up, and tinned tuna - both are very cheap here. If I buy anything in tins, I don't go for brand names because that's usually what you're paying the extra for! Couscous is nice too - with lemon and coriander.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

An excellent side dish that is very inexpensive to prepare is Fried Plantains. Usually they are around 3-4 for a Dollar. Peel them, then slice them fairly thin, fry in the oil of your choice to a nice golden brown, salt (if allowed), and you have a nice side dish. They make a nice alternative to fries.

• flipper
    flipper

CoCo- I agree with one of the posters here who says buying 6 packs of chicken breasts help. Mrs. Flipper and I in our Raleys in our area get these breast fillets, a pack of 6 or 8 for at times $1.98 per pound. Sometimes a little more, but what a great barbeque! Have to try it sometime!, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

With good bread being so expensive, I think it is worth it to learn how to make it. You could probably get a free breadmaker on Freecycle or craigslist if you think you can't make it. It is really easy though, most standard general cookbooks have fairly easy to understand directions.

Rice is good for you, inexpensive and filling. You can turn your broth into a gravy with a little flour and butter. Buy spaghetti sauce (like hunts) when it is .69-.79 a can and stock up a bit. Put it with any kind of noodle and cheese and you have a great pasta dinner. Have a stone soup party, and provide the bread and broth:)

• PEC
    PEC

COCO,

Here in So Cal, we buy much of our food at the $.99 store, they have fresh fruits and veggies, you never know what they will have, buy what they have and get the rest at the grocery.

Philip

• ninja
    ninja

hey cokey...I have a good idea how to add meat to the soup.....give me a paypal addy and I will add some greenies to it and help you out mate....ninja.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit