How Do You Stretch Your Food Dollars?

by compound complex 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I will add some greenies to it

ninjy I hope the merrycans don't have the same definition of 'greenies' as we have here in Yorkshire lol!

Ewwww!!!!

• bsmart
    bsmart

Chicken soup with rice

Start brown rice cooking(takes about 55 minutes at my altitude.)

Add onion and seasonings, chop celery(one or two stalks) then add

Leftover chicken or chop raw chicken to bite size or simmer chicken pieces and de-bone.

After every thing is simmering I take 1/2 cup portions of frozen peas and nuke one minute to defrost, then add to each bowl. I hate how peas get soft especially in leftovers so that is my solution.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I love using bacon in things but don't use it much, so I separate one package and freeze several strips together so one package goes for a long time and doesn't get bad.

Beans and rice are staples in this household.

You can make fried rice with so many leftover bits ( I begin with a chopped up strip of bacon and some onion, then go from there). what seems worthless to keep as leftovers ( small amounts of veggies, pieces of meat) , will make excellent additions to the fried rice.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, bsmart and nonjwspouse, for bringing this back. Love your recipes!

I still am strrrretttccchhhing my food $s!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I buy rotelli and stretch it into angel hair. >cymbal crash<

Soak chia or flax seeds in the leftover water from canned sardines for a faux caviar. Consume it with sham-pagne. >cymbal crash<

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I don't really skimp on food. I try to by the best quality I can afford. But I do stay away from pre-packaged and convenience foods that cost more.

For example, my family loves hummus. I buy the dried chickpeas . I soak overnight, then boil them with a little baking soda. Two cups of chickpeas, some tahiti, garlic and lemon juice goes a long way for a little money.

I also make lots of stir fries that require little meat and lots of vegetables.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

IF you transport more than five gallons of mushrooms out of the forest you will need a permit from the local sheriff's office in Washington State.

They're only thinking of you...

https://youtu.be/kKQSghkrAds

• Listener
    Listener

I've been buying short cut bacon. It is only the top part of the bacon which has the most meat and less fat. When it's on special I will buy a kilo or two, break it up into much smaller quantities, put it in freezer bags and freeze it.

It's a great addition to many dishes for extra flavour and I don't add extra salt. It can also serve as the only meat in some dishes, with very little needed. That includes fried rice, spaghetti sauce and baked potato dishes.

One of my favourite soup's is split pea. Soak the dried split peas overnight then cook with plenty of water, bacon or bacon bones, a little grated carrot and finely diced onion and celery. Celery is a great addition in any soup, it adds a lot of flavour.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If you are willing, making home made bread, either traditional american style loaves or flatbread like naan or pita or roti are opioid much cheaper. Flat breads can be made on stove and a batch of dough kept in fridge for fresh loaves every meal if desired. Ye as st can be bought much cheaper in bulk pound sizes rather than the criminal prices for individual packets.

Also, buy dry beans and cook yourself. Cheaper than cans, can keep in freezer and delicious.September-december has a lot of great deals-if you can stretch your budget the next few months, you can stock up everday staples.

Use foodbank. Make friends with produce guys at local markets. They . Might discard the not quite good enough or excess veg your way.

Learn how to prepare food for freezing so if you get a great windfall that you can take advantage without eating so many carrots that you turn orange. For example.

Watch brothers Green on youtube. Lots of creative ways to eat cheap and healthy. Super funny, too.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Wannaexit, today I made my first batch of tahini. Yum. I bought 4# of sesame from Amazon. Hummus heAven tomorrow!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit