Why would a young sister marry an old brother?

by JH 61 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I recall a MS brother about 62 years old dating and marrying a sister about 30 years younger.

I respect their choice and if they are in love, well good for them. But I don't think it's to the best interest of the younger one.....

Do JW's accept bigger age differences in marriage than other religions?

• Emma
    Emma

I don't understand it. I suppose they let themselves think that in the "new system" they'll both be young. My sister married a "brother" nearly old enough to be our grandfather; a former pioneer partner married a "brother" older than her parents. I think there's not much to pick from for young women in the borg.

• 5go
    5go

Emma nailed it no suitable spirtualy minded brothers their age or their parents age. They can not live with the worldy normal youthly learnings that JW's and everyone else goes through during their teens, tweenties, and thirties.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I remember an old joke:

Older man and much younger woman get married. They go on their honeymoon at an inn.

The next morning, the waiter in the breakfast area sees the old man arrive, with a spring in his step, and whistling a happy tune.

The young bride arrives, looking exhausted.

She tells the waiter, "He said he'd been saving up since he was a teenager....I thought he meant MONEY!"

• rebel8
    rebel8

For a variety of reasons, one of them being the same reason the younger party feels secure in a mind control cult--to be told what to do by others who claim to be more experienced and wise....to not have to take personal responsibility for one's life by substituting "just following orders" like the Nazis.

My 19 yr old friend (who was emotionally about age 13 or so) marrying a 39 yr old purported virgin with admitted pedophile leanings...that was one of the main catalysts for me and at least 2 others leaving the borg.

We were seated together at the wedding reception & were moping around, so sad and horrified for our friend...and some older ladies at our table said, "Don't worry, don't be jealous! You will find a brother soon!" We tried to explain we were sad b/c of the age difference and overall sick nature of the relationship, but they refused to believe it and said we were just jealous.

• juni
    juni

Perhaps it's a "father" figure JH? I remember a very young sis marrying a really old bro. What a site to behold. Thought it was weird at the time.

Juni

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Maybe thi$$ is a reason why.

I never accepted the idea of marrying some unsuitable person in the religion. Any woman over 30 with a brain had to look outside for a decent guy because there was nothing there to choose from.

LHG

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never saw any problem with people of different ages marrying, any more than interracial marriages or those where the people are from two different countries. It's just one more thing that can create differences. There can be a problem when an older sister who has been independent for 20 years or more marries an immature brother where he is going to make crap decisions and she will have to abide by them. This is more of a problem in the Tower, where such control is the rule.

What is a problem is where the sisters have little or no choice in the matter. If they have no one to pick from because they have to marry within the Tower, they are going to get stuck with a lemon either way. And, in many cases, the age difference is the least of their worries if the husband turns out to be a tyrant or otherwise abusive of the wife or the children. And, there is no way of justifying an older man initiating the use of force or fraud, or threat of force, to get the sister to marry. That includes having them marry underage sisters, often because the sisters are scared that they will be left without any other choices. That, not just the age difference, is what is wrong.

• dawg
    dawg

I love you all but sometines you say things that really piss me off... first off, I lived with an Asian lady for 4 years who was 25 years my jounior. So the post about Asians pissed me off and now you guys think people in the so called truth marry older men more than those outside. I've dated ladies younger than me, older than me, and the same age as me... loved things about all off them-hated things about all of them. If I found someone I loved whatever legal age, I'd enjoy their company... I've also dated ladies in every race.... I mean every race with the exception of Indian. They were all just people to me, plain and simple.... so for whomever thinks that us old guys are now some part of some sub species... you can kiss it!

• eclipse
    eclipse

um, dawg, 44 isn't old..not by a long shot!.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit