Why don't Lurkers Post?

by sweet pea 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

It's against the Lurker's Code of Ethics

• eclipse
    eclipse

Lurker should be changed to readers...since that is what they are doing...reading...right?

geek alert

• besty
    besty

I lurked for over a year without posting - selfish really - I was getting support without giving anything back - I s'pose I felt that I couldn't add anything as a lot of topics were being covered with me not seeing anything meaningful I could add - not really the point though.

also didn't want to build up a post history so I could deny it all if I got caught :-) seems silly now

happier contributing now though.

I'm with you Amber Rose - I've got much more aware of illogical statements and questions since looking into JW malpractice :-)

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi Besty

I've always had a considered approach to most things.

I don't think it's particularly selfish to lurk - just different personalities.

Not all of us chuck all our JW books after 3 days and then want them back

S

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I lurk more than I post. There are a couple reasons why-

1. I feel like my opinion has already been expressed by someone else, hence, I have nothing to add to a thread.

2. Limited time- I have a family, work two jobs and lot's of other responsibilities... I don't even have time to read all the threads, much less post.

3. I've never felt compelled to. I've always felt that this was a place to "come as you are". There are a lot of different personalities, experiences, styles etc here. No one should ever feel forced to do something they aren't comfortable with for whatever reason. It would make me sad to think that anyone who doesn't post but reads every day (like myself) feels that they are less than anyone else because they don't put their 2 cents in.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Some people like to talk, some people would rather listen. Sometimes people like to size up what they are walking into and how comments are received before they decide to post.

• Marcel
    Marcel

when i came here i posted IMMEDIATELY.
    but i lurked around on another (in my monther tongue) a little while.
    but not more than 1 week though :)

i think for most lurkers its FEAR which keeps them from posting. they want just a free peak into another world. without consequenzes.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

The forums move so fast with alot of in jokes and side conversations.

From a lurker's perspective, it's like a group standing in the middle of a raging river calling out to the people on the shore:

"Come on in, the water's fine!"

Just a bit overwhelming in my opinion.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Could be that some consider conversing honestly about the Witness cult to be taking the plunge from doubting to apostasy.

It could also be that they are happy to just read. Either way they are committing the unforgivable sin and will be doomed to eternal destruction. Just kidding lurkies.

GBL

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

In my case, it's because my I don't get much time without my wife within eyeball distance of our computers, especially now that I have lost my network connection out in my workshop.

She thinks you guys and girls are very nasty people and I am having a very difficult time getting through to her without the added problem of her knowing that I communicate with you nasty apostates.

Cheers

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit