Big Love - Disfellowshipped?

by unique1 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• unique1
    unique1

Did anyone else see Big Love last night? When Nicky's mom found her with the runaway and denounced her and disowned her, it was so familiar to me and I am sure many others. It showed the pain Nicky felt when her mother turned her back on her even though she was just trying to do what she thought was right. On the other hand it showed the pain Nicky's mother felt, turning her back on and disowning her own child for her actions.

We know when we are disfellowshipped and or disassociated that it hurts our family members hearts just as much as it does ours but that they are so deeply entrenched into a religion that they can't see their way out to love naturally. I just thought this episode captured both sides beautifully. I almost cried myself. It REALLY hit home.

Did anyone else see it? Your thoughts?

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes I did.

So many similarities between all high control groups.

I was discussing this very same thing with some friends last night...regarding parents who support an organization that has issued a decree of execution any and all those who the WTBS tell them. Even if it is nothing more than not attending meetings...an execution prayed for daily when they plead for the end to come.

Meanwhile they force loved ones to treat each other like lepers.

I just can't stand it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, what an excellent episode!!!! I almost cried, too. As usual, similarity after similarity with the fundy mormons and jw's. They presented the different situations so well.

• unique1
    unique1
    an execution prayed for daily when they plead for the end to come.

Holy crap, I never thought of it that way before. I always viewed praying for the end to come was more or less praying that peace and love would return to the earth and all those hungry and poor will have their own fig tree and house, etc. I never thought of it as praying for an execution, but I guess I was. Weird.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Unique,

I saw it and cringed all the way through. The way her mom said it.....(thats how witnesses would love to deliver the message)....

If you think about it, the compound itself is like the inside of a KH ...and the way Nicky kept defending it. All the blackmailing going on, her father manipulating things behind the scene, his "police", etc. etc.

It was all way to close to home.

r.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I saw it and cringed all the way through.

Now, I've never been through any JC or DF'ing, or heck, even baptism-but, I also cringed SO much last night! There were goosebumps on my arms.

Then, when Rhonda ran away at the end, I thought, that's the only way to get out as a minor, to run away and start life from scratch, freedom included.

If you think about it, the compound itself is like the inside of a KH ...and the way Nicky kept defending it. All the blackmailing going on, her father manipulating things behind the scene, his "police", etc. etc.

Yes. The kangaroo court, "UEB"/BOE, rewards like an additional wife = positions in the cong., & hiding the truth from authorities of what really goes on, making it all look like something it's not.

• Swan
    Swan

When Nikki was called an "apostate" and you could just read the hurt in her face. Chloe Sevigny is such a good actress. She plays that part so well.

Nikki is nasty and manipulative at times, but you can also see how hurt and damaged she is underneath from having to live in the compound. It was hard for her to say anything bad about the compound, because it was so counter to her programming. She fears exposure in the outside world in which she now finds herself, but she also fears what living away from the compound might do to erode her faith and her salvation.

She is conflicted when it comes to a decision of loyalty between Bill or her father, "The Prophet." Like she said last week, she's given up hundreds to live with just ten, but she is afraid to expose her vulnerability and show her love for them, resorting to relying on the "principle" to explain her place and commitment to her marriage and family. She puts up a cold hard facade to mask her fears.

Of all the characters, I think I like her the best because her journey mirrors my own.

Tammy

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

That is SUCH a good show. They pack so much into one hour that we can't even make comments for fear of missing something! And yes, last night's episode reminded both me and Chris of the Witnesses. Just as screwed up.

My favorite character is Joey's wife, Wanda. I love how her mind works . . .

Nina

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

The actress who plays Bill & Joey's mom is a riot!!!

When Nikki was called an "apostate" and you could just read the hurt in her face. Chloe Sevigny is such a good actress. She plays that part so well.

That is actually a part when I held back tears. Chloe is great, I agree.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I absolutely love this series and agree with all your comments!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit