Big Love - Disfellowshipped?

by unique1 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• restrangled
    restrangled

Just adding to this thread about last nights documentary (7/4/07) on the series Big Love. Did anyone see that? They interviewed current and Ex members of this faith.

The subject of shunning was brought up and how many people are automatically kicked out if they disobey the leadership with all family ties completely cut. There was one young fellow that reminded me of Richie Rich. Even looked like him a bit, saying how much he missed his mom but was not allowed to speak to her. It absolutely sounded like the JW faith. It showed young teenagers having to leave with just the clothes on their backs....unable to even back a few belongings because other members would turn them in.

One of the commentators said that this practice showed the religion for what it really was and that the public in general needed to know about this awful practice. (Funny how these fundamental religions are able to keep their questionable antics from the eyes of outsiders) Sound familiar? This just burns me up.

r.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I haven't been following it but kind of wish I had. I've caught 20 minutes of it, and there were some creepy familiarities.

We know when we are disfellowshipped and or disassociated that it hurts our family members hearts just as much as it does ours

I don't. It's one of me vs. 100 of them. It hurts me more.

• unique1
    unique1
    Did anyone see that?

Yep, I was suprised so many of them were willing to be on tv. The stuff they were spewing in defense of their faith was so one sided, like they are unable to see that they could possibly be wrong. They are so closed minded, just like the JW's, except in my opinion slightly nuttier.

• sandy
    sandy

I think they really did do an excellent job showing the mother's pain. She was almost redeemable to me when she destroyed that tape.

I cannot say enough good things about this show. Each week leaves you wanting more. The wives are all great too. Margene is adorable. Nicki is a great actress . . . She is so mentally messed up from being raised on the compound and not to mention the daughter of the Prophet. I hate her one minute then feel for her the next.

Isn't he creepy, the Prophet Roman Grant? I don't know the actor's real name but I think he does an excellent job playing that character.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I cannot say enough good things about this show. Each week leaves you wanting more. The wives are all great too. Margene is adorable. Nicki is a great actress . . . She is so mentally messed up from being raised on the compound and not to mention the daughter of the Prophet. I hate her one minute then feel for her the next.

I agree, I actually have ended up loving this show more than Soprano's. Just the entire concept. I love the first wife, she's just the best and the fact that she even goes along with it all for her husband. But Margene- she is completely adorable and probably my favorite because she tries so hard and she's just a great character. I completely agree about Nicki- just when I decide I can't stand her, she goes and does something redeemable. It's a great show and so many things that remind me of witness mentality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit