eclipse

It changed me when I was 8 years old....wonderful story

• nowisee
    nowisee

the life changing books for me were:

the diary of anne frank

your erroneous zones, and pulling your own strings by wayne dyer

the women's room by marilyn french

there must be others but these immediately come to mind as having a huge impact.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Choosing Life:

Have you ever posted on a thread so you can find it later for a link or something else? Basically I want to save this thread so I can have a nice selection of good books to choose from as I know there are many great minds here.

Yep. BTW, here's a little advice to help any newbies avoid a JWD Homer Simpson moment like I did a while back. I had been posting and Private Messaging up a storm for a few months before I realized that my JWD "Inbox" automatically purges itself of anything over 30 days old. "DOH!!"

But, if you've either started or posted to a thread, then it's there for as long as JWD survives. (Hopefully that will be right through Armageddon.) Tee hee.

Open Mind

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Re: Velveteen Rabbit

If you were moved by that, there's a fairly new book that you may enjoy. It's about a toy rabbit as well and had me in tears when I read it. It's by the same author who wrote "Because of Winn Dixie".

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (it will be in the Kids section of your local bookstore).

http://www.edwardtulane.com/

tall penguin

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Speaking of books enjoyed when younger, I've been reading the Beatrix Potter series of books to my sons at night.

I enjoyed the series growing up and am actually reading them from my copy of "Mr. Mocker" that was given to me in grade 5.

All three of them love the stories and the chapters are only 3-5 pages long so it makes for a quick bedtime story. It really helps if you can put on a thick deep southern accent. :)

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Clarification from previous post, it is "Thornton Burgess" not Beatrix Potter.

I had Peter Rabbit and Peter Cottontail mixed up.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I'm a real omnivore when it comes to books but the following list is five that impacted me the most:

Up From Slavery - Booker T Washington

There are no excuses.

The Devil Drives: A Life of Sir Richard Burton – Fawn Brodie

What I wanted to be.

Advise and Consent – Allen Drury

The beginning of political understanding.

Basic Economics: A Citizens Guide to the Economy – Thomas Sowell

How things really work

A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14 th Century – Barbara Tuchman

People only 'think' things were bad in the 20th Century and now in the 21st..

• Open mind
    Open mind

Wow Fangorn! Nice post.

Informative & brief.

Two things I'm working on.

Open Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit