Great Books Thread

by Open mind 119 Replies latest social entertainment

• tinker
    tinker

BA....ditto of NVR....could you please break up your thoughts into paragraphs. Very hard for us Boomers 50+ eyesight.

I love BOOKS.....very short list of my favorites....

The Good Earth

The Secret Lilfe of Bee's

The Language of God

Kitchen Confidential

The Joy of Cooking

no time now to share the LONG List.....maybe later......but I love this thread. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have alot of amazon reviews to read.

• nvrgnbk
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Bttt this 3 year old thread.

Any new recommendations?

om

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The Silence recommended to me "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson

I'm not done it yet, but I'm loving it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gargoyle-Andrew-Davidson/dp/0307388670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291412613&sr=1-1

• streets76
    streets76

Catcher in the Rye.

Slaughterhouse-5.

Grapes of Wrath.

Huckleberry Finn.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks palmtree & streets76.

Any weekend readers have any recommendations?

om

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I just finished this book and it is really, really good.

Really good.

From The New Yorker
    Fallada wrote this novel in twenty-four days in 1947, the last year of his life; he was addicted to drugs and alcohol, and had just been released from a Nazi insane asylum. The story is based on that of an actual working-class Berlin couple who conducted a three-year resistance campaign against the Nazis, by leaving anonymous postcards at random locations around the city. The book has the suspense of a John le Carré novel, and offers a visceral, chilling portrait of the distrust that permeated everyday German life during the war. Especially interesting are the details that show how Nazi-run charities and labor organizations monitored and made public the degree to which individuals supported or eschewed their cause. The novel shows how acts that at the time might have seemed “ridiculously small,” “discreet,” and “out of the way” could have profound and lasting meaning.
    From Publishers Weekly
    Starred Review. This disturbing novel, written in 24 days by a German writer who died in 1947, is inspired by the true story of Otto and Elise Hampel, who scattered postcards advocating civil disobedience throughout war-time Nazi-controlled Berlin. Their fictional counterparts, Otto and Anna Quangel, distribute cards during the war bearing antifascist exhortations and daydream that their work is being passed from person to person, stirring rebellion, but, in fact, almost every card is immediately turned over to authorities. Fallada aptly depicts the paralyzing fear that dominated Hitler's Germany, when decisions that previously would have seemed insignificant—whether to utter a complaint or mourn one's deceased child publicly—can lead to torture and death at the hands of the Gestapo. From the Quangels to a postal worker who quits the Nazi party when she learns that her son committed atrocities and a prison chaplain who smuggles messages to inmates, resistance is measured in subtle but dangerous individual stands. This isn't a novel about bold cells of defiant guerrillas but about a world in which heroism is defined as personal refusal to be corrupted. (Mar.)

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Dies-Alone-Hans-Fallada/dp/1935554271/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291483190&sr=8-1

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I'm reading this book right now:

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just got done reading reviews & descriptions of THE GARGOYLE, EVERY MAN DIES ALONE & DEVIL'S ADVOCATE.

They all sound like very good & disturbing reads.

Thanks,

om

• Giordano
    Giordano

I always have a couple of books working at the same time. Lite night time reading by my bedside. Heavy stuff in the bathroom (no pun intended) just early morning is best for non fiction and theology (which is sort of fiction I guess). And for lunch a good solid book that compels me to eat slowly and spend an hour treating myself to something wonderful. Plus A couple of heavy books, I mean heavy as in weight, to do arm curls with while reading something else, that's my version of multi tasking!

My selections should be in your local library

Best Theology reading: John Shelby Spong (was an Episcopal bishop of Newark)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=john+shelby+spong+&x=20&y=21

He's a believer but is rewriting the way we should read and evaluate scripture. He's tossing out a lot of the goofy stuff anti women, gays etc.

And to prove that I am a well balanced person:

Bart Erdman,Bart D. Ehrman is an American New Testament scholar, currently a Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. And he is an agnostic.

He is the author of a number of books, including Misquoting Jesus (2005), God's Problem (2008), and Jesus, Interrupted (2009)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bart+ehrman&sprefix=bart+ehrman

Sci Fi and Fantasy, George R.R. Martin, The Song of Ice and Fire Book One (check out how many reviews there are).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=george+r+r+martin&sprefix=george+r+r+martin

WARNING!! This series is highly addictive. Definitely start with book one.

History: To the Last Man by Jeff Shaara, World War One, I know you saw the movie.........why go there again? It's what I didn't know that was so fascinating. Anyway he blends accurate historical fact with enough fiction to allow the reader to experience a deeper involvement in the story.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Novel-First-World/dp/0345461347/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291492303&sr=1-10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit