Great Books Thread

by Open mind 119 Replies latest social entertainment

• Violia
    Violia

bttt

• Open mind
    Open mind

Mouthy: "DOUG??? WHO IS DOUG."

Farkel has revealed more than once on this site that his name is Doug.

I would never "out" even someone's first name without their permission.

Hadit: I've read a few on your list already, but "Hold On To Your Kids" is one I haven't heard of nor read. I'll check it out even though our kids are getting to the age where we're having to "let go" not "hold on". But I'm sure there's some good insights in there.

On the Rocks: Thanks for the recommendations.

Violia: Thanks for including what they meant to you.

Here's a little addition of my own: John Grisham. He's become a brainless guilty pleasure of mine.

I heard someone describe his writing as "He writes the same book every year."

With just a few exceptions, this is true. I'm currently zipping through "The Associate" instead of watching TV. It's definitely a typical, formulaic Grisham novel.

Keep 'em coming!

om

• Heaven
    Heaven

DOUG??? WHO IS DOUG. IF it is Farkel No I cant do that I love him too much

Yes, Farkel is Doug. Or possibly this game .... we're not exactly sure now...

Farkel Party Dice Game

• jay88
    jay88

Education and the Significance of Life and Think on These Things both by J.Krishnamurti

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh so Farkel is Doug!!!! Thanks for telling me...He makes me laugh ..so I will keep him

• Violia
    Violia

wrong thread.

• zarco
    zarco

OM - what a great thread. I imagine we would be great friends if we didn't live across the world from one another. I also love:

Fountain Head

The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Guns Germs and Steel - most thought provoking book I have ever read

A Moveable Feast by Hemingway - love all of his books, this one really provides a deep look into his thinking, friendships and profound guilt as a young writer in Paris

East of Eden - Steinbeck's best, amazing character development and he makes the Salinas Valley come alive

Freakonomics is a fun read

I read a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson on the plane to Australia and laughed the entire plane ride

All the best to you,

zarco

• Open mind
    Open mind

zarco: "Guns Germs and Steel - most thought provoking book I have ever read"

I worked my way through this on Nvrgnbk's earlier recommendation in this thread.

I agree. There were quite a few "well duh!" moments in this book for me.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

bump for 2012.

FWIW, I'm currently reading "Merle's Door" by Ted Kerasote.

If you love dogs and want a good cry, it fills the bill. I'm only 1/4 through it, but I know there's going to be some tears shed before it's over.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

Any recommendations from those who had yesterday off work?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit