Richie's Random Thoughts: Moral Ambiguity

by RichieRich 28 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

nicely put, JamesThomas

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

By immoral we are not talking about sexual behavior. We are talking about acceptable principles of right and wrong behavior. - Blueblades

I love it that you clarified this Blueblades. Seems to me that all too often religion instills a mindset that 'sexual behavior' and 'morality' are synonymous. LOL

Way to nicely widen the tunnel vision!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Everythings only black and white at the kingdumbhall.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Yeah, even photocopier's have shades of gray.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Moral ambiguity? Not in my mind. LOL.

Happy weekend everyone!

Here's to us all.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

One right is another left.

And what was left is all gone now.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Rich-I love ya bro. keep up the deep thoughts and watch out for metal detectors.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I think a good place to start when determining if an action is "right" or "wrong" is to ask, will this action I plan to take be harmful or beneficial? Harmful to whom? Beneficial to whom? If there is no clear answer or an ambiguous answer because the action may cause benefit to some but harm to others, then one has to ask, does the potential for benefit outweigh the potential for harm. If they are equal, then whose interests should take priority? Why? Whose responsibility is it to make such a decision? On what authority? This is the stuff ethics classes are made of.

These are not simple black and white issues and for people who work in the medical and legal systems they are sometimes daily occurences. Much thought and discussion and hopefully consensus needs to happen. This would preclude making impulsive decisions in the heat or passion of the moment. I think, though, that if you ask those types of questions, and consider all possible answers thoughtfully with the intention to benefit yourself and others, the answers often becomes surprising clear.

Just for example, let's ask those questions about a kid stealing a book from a church. Was any person actually harmed by the stealing of the book? No! Did anybody suffer any type of financial loss because of it? No! Was there any good that came out of stealing the book? Well, lots of people were inspired by the kids courage, perhaps to make a stand for what was true and right. The truth was exposed about what harmful attitudes and actions go on in secret behind closed doors in regards to abuse victims. Proof was obtained. Perhaps many people who read the proof on the internet became more enlightened about JW's and abusive systems and were motivated to stay away or get away from that system. It looks to me that the only "harm" came to the kid who actually stole the book, (he lost his family and suffered financially because of it) but he knew the risk he was taking and took the responsibility anyway. But the benefit that came to the kid outweighed the harm, because he learned that not only could he survive on his own, but he could THRIVE! and enjoy an even better life than the one that was being offered by his parents and the abusive system. So, no harm no foul!

So, yeah Richie, it could be said with a certainty that you did a GOOD thing!

Cog

• Twitch
    Twitch

cognizant dissident

Great post.

These things make for complications these ethics. What the "right" thing to do is the hardest decision to make sometimes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit