Richie's Random Thoughts: Moral Ambiguity

by RichieRich 28 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

In high school, it was sad day when "Beloved" by Toni Morrison hit my desk. The book was thick and worn, with a bright purple cover that was sure to smile up at me mockingly from my bag whenever I looked in it.

The teacher who dropped it on my desk was a wise woman. She was young, and had just finished her PhD. All the students in her class were bright, and she made each of us feel as if we all held a solid portion of the world's future on our shoulders. As a person, she was well liked. When her father died, the whole class pitched in and bought her 3 dozen red roses. As a teacher, she was hated. She thought her class was the only one that required homework or outside research and reading. Most of us had several classes with teachers of the same mindset, thus making us pretty stressed. But for some reason, no matter how busy or unmotivated I was, I always made sure the work for her class was done. She'd make us arrange all the desks in the room into a circle, and we would all sit there and discuss themes and topics found in the books we read. We'd spend days on the same topic, and then the students would continue to argue their opinions and points after class, through lunch, and even via instant message that night. We were fish flopping on the shores of the beaches of knoweldge. We couldn't wait to get immersed.

In case you haven't read "Beloved", its about a woman who is an escaped slave. She has 3 children, and although the ages escape me, they were all young, and one was an infant. One day, she sees that the slave catchers are coming. She knows that their capture is imminent, and doesn't want her children to live the slave's life like she has for so many years, and so she drowns all three of the children. In a well. Shortly thereafter, she is captured.

The day after everyone had read that, we walked into class bewildered. Why had the woman killed her children? How could she live with herself after doing that? Why didn't we, as readers, feel mad or angry at her?

That day we learned what moral ambiguity is. It's against the law to speed, but its ok for an ambulance to speed to get someone to a hospital safely.

Its not right to take someone else's life, but what if they are trying to take your own?

A lot of these questions seem easy to answer, but I think this topic merits discussion.

Is it ok for a man to lie to his spouse so that he can free himself from the mental slavery of a cult?

Is it ok for a kid to steal a book from a church building, knowing that it has the potential free others from lies?

Is it ok for a child to talk to strangers in order to gain an understanding of their parent's religion?

Is it ok to give public discourses on certain Bible topics when you don't believe in what the Bible says, or any of the doctrines suppourted by the religion you're supposedly representing?

Why does everything have to be black and white? Where does gray become white or black?

• snarf
    snarf

WOW, very deep, moving and thoughtful. I don't think I have ever posted on your topics before, but I had to at least give ya a "wow". Nice to meet you.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Richie Rich! You are so right on, my friend. And so young for such a profound realization. I struggled with whether or not there is pure evil or pure good in this existence for a long time. My summations thus far (though I'm still working on it) are thus:

We are pure potential good/evil/light/dark and every spectrum in between. And no, there are no strict boundaries. In fact, what if I were to tell you good/evil, light/dark are just the same things at their core....only "differing" in degrees not fundamentally.

I know it sounds crazy--Hey, blame it on the book Daystar and I are reading. You should see our little 2-person book club choices. We're like the perfect little witness couple reading and studying together....but they ain't no Watchtowers, lemme tell ya LOL!!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Ouch!!

How'd you get a voodoo doll that looks like me?

Open Mind

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There are two types of people in this world: admitted moral relativist, and liars.

;) lol, guess that's a bit b/w isn't it?

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

pain/pleasure principle

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Fascinating and most important Richie.

Once morality and ethics begin to be evaluated on the basis of how much real suffering an action causes, humanity will progress to a new level. If reason and morality can be reconciled we'll find ourselves free like never before.

Thanks for pointing out the gray.

• poppers
    poppers

"In fact, what if I were to tell you good/evil, light/dark are just the same things at their core....only "differing" in degrees not fundamentally."

Good insight. You cannot have one without the other. This is the dualistic world we find ourselves in when we limit ourselves to the conventions of the mind. Is there something grander, something so sublime that it allows the existence of these opposing ideas yet remain untouched by them? And even more importantly, can we consciously attune ourselves to that "something" so that we ourselves can also accept these without being touched by them?

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

"When I was a young man every thing was black and white, good and evil you see. But then I grew to realize that there was only grey" ~ The Highlander

I'd like to believe that it is not black and white but technicolor. Certain animals are endangered, but I'll be damned if I go hungry protecting one. The problem with judgements that seem moral to the person making the choice that feels right to them is that it takes little consideration into the rights and freedoms of others. This is a difficult question to answer because it is wrought with emotion. There is no answer that one can come to that is perfectly in line with the thinking of others. It falls to us to make the choice that is right for us and for the parties that we affect by said choice to the best of our ability.

Parenting is one of these areas. Discipline as well. A main cornerstone of rebellion and establishing our own values is to tear down in thought the boundaries that our parents placed on our thoughts and the immobility placed on our actions to better understand who we truly are.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Great post, Richie.

Why does everything have to be black and white? Where does gray become white or black?

Not everything is black and white, most of it is grey. There are infinite shades of it and all of them have both black and white. One is all colors, the other being nothing.

I'd like to believe that it is not black and white but technicolor. Certain animals are endangered, but I'll be damned if I go hungry protecting one.

LMAO

ditto

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit