I'm starting to really get into the New Testament. This is great!

by MichaelM 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

The bible is overrated and badly written, God needs to go to school.

On a more serious note, has anyone tried to interpret the bible by taking God completely out of the equation it actually makes a lot more sense

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Mariusuk - do you have a Masters in dragging other people down? Ok so these folks here are actually enjoying literature that you think is a pile of crap. That's where they're at and this is where you're at. Is it really to much to ask that you leave them be??

MichaelM - That's one of my favourites too - with a good lesson not only about forgiveness, but showing basic good manners to others () Carry on reading and enjoying

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Sad emo

My comment was clearly said in jest, hence the part about God going to school, I am not dragging anyone down, everryone is entitled to their own opinion, I would not mock someone for their beliefs or what they find interesting

get yourself a glass of perspective and soda and chill

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Of the New Testament books, I love the gospels because they include much of what Jesus taught, and will take his words over anybody else's (including the apostle Paul). I also like John's epistles, Peter, James and Jude.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Dear Micheal, It's so good to see someone posting here that still reads and values the word of God. Congratulations! Enjoy your reading. seek2find

• LiveLife
    LiveLife

Marius,

You might do well to consider that not all posters here are from the UK or understand the wry humor thing you guys are so brilliantly gifted with. Most Yanks don't keep a stiff upper lip and comments can pain most of us like slugs to the gut, so you might want to use emoticons.

I have really enjoyed your biting repartee, but I can see how the missing cues could make some uncomfortable. They can't see the wry grin and twinkling eyes, you know.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Good for you MichaelM

I found it so refreshing to go back and examine the Biblical stories and their history aside from all of the JW nonsense put on top of it.

Looking back I see that the WTS is very 1950's American in their approach to the way they look at the world. Trying to read a 2000+ year old book the way the Watchtower tells you to can be quite unfulfilling.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

When I first read the gospel of John as a book and read it through (I guess when I was 18 or 19), I cried too. The story can really hit you if you read it on its own terms. The story of Joseph in the OT also can have a strong emotional impact.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Leolaia,

You just said a mouthful,

When I first read the gospel of John as a book and read it through (I guess when I was 18 or 19), I cried too. The story can really hit you if you read it on its own terms. The story of Joseph in the OT also can have a strong emotional impact.

When I read the prologue to the Gospel of John in the Contemporary English Version, I couldn't stop crying. The part about the Light shining in the darkness and the darkness not overtaking it hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew then and there that wherever that Light was, I wanted to be there, too. I believe that's why the Society doesn't spend too much time in the Book of John. Oh, they'll wear Matthew, Mark, and Luke clean out. Especially chapters 24, 21, and 13 respectively, but they'll skirt around the Gospel of John because they are no fools. They know that anyone reading the Gospel of John will quickly see through their flimsy doctrines.

I find it interesting, too, that Tolstoy called the account about Joseph the most perfect narrative ever written. The Bible is truly a Book for all persons.

Snowbird

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Especially chapters 24, 21, and 13 respectively, but they'll skirt around the Gospel of John because they are no fools

OOPS! I should have written chapters 24, 13, and 21 respectively. My bad

Snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit