I'm starting to really get into the New Testament. This is great!

by MichaelM 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MichaelM
    MichaelM

Stuff I never really touched much when I was a Studying with the Witnesses. I'm in awe.. amazed.. at the things Jesus is saying/doing.. Some of it is even putting me in tears. One chapter that I really love so far is i'm in Luke and I'm reading about the woman who came into the Pharisee's home and started kissing Jesus' feet and Jesus told the story of the Two people that owed money.

This is great!

[quote] 36 Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."

40 Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
    "Tell me, teacher," he said.

41 "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, [d] and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"

43 Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
    "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.

44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." [quote]

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

If you think that is good wait till you read Lord of the Rings it will blow your mind

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Hi michaelM

The new testament has some really amazing stories. Jesus was so courageous, radical and inspiring in that story.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The spirit of the JWs is stack in the Old Testament because they are under heavy influences from Judaism, they don't like much the New Testament presentation of God because he is not strict and intimidating enough for their purposes.

Thus reading the gospels has a liberating effect on those influenced by the JW mindset. God is seen as a loving Father rather than a harsh Lord as was the case under the Mosaic law.

• emptywords
    emptywords

[quote] 36 Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. 37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

• emptywords
    emptywords

37 When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, 38 and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

this is very special to me, shows how loving the real truth is, so loving and humane something I have always felt concious of in the KH, my past was very much like this, and I never really felt good enough in the troof.

• brinjen
    brinjen

It blows your mind doesn't it? I remember when I first properly read those chapters about Jesus. I couldn't put my bible down. It was a first for me. I was around 10 years old(?) at the time. I remember wishing he was still with us on earth.

He had to have been the most liberal minded 'person' to walk the planet. Have you ever tried to picture what he might be like if he were here today? I see him on a motorbike, jeans and leather jacket using words like 'cool' and 'dude'.

It's true the JW's don't like to use the New Testament much, as pointed out by Greendawn, it's too liberating for them. Kinda makes you wonder who they would be most like in those accounts. Pharisees?

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

It really is great when you read the bible without someone telling you what you should read into it. Enjoy.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

It really is great when you read the bible without someone telling you what you should read into it. Enjoy.

• sparrow
    sparrow

How long did it take you guys to not hate the bible/religion/meetings/etc to start reading the bible? I haven't reached the subject within my own reasoning of - "ok - I don't believe the WBTS anymore - what do I believe" At the moment I am happy where I am but I know I am going to deal with this at some point...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit