What do you think?

by jaguarbass 27 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Here's my 2 cents: Yes, the WTS did you wrong, yes it's hard to overcome, but, it can be done. And depression and anger can be overcome as well. For some it takes meds (if one does not work, there are many others), for some it takes therapy of some sort, for others it takes a bit of both. I understand they can be expensive, but you absolutetely cannot afford to go on living life miserably.

A good book I've recommended many times is: Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. He deliniates 10 negative thinking patterns we can fall into and how to change those patterns. However, if you have an underling chemical inbalance, you will need meds . I speak from many years of experience managing my own issues, and I too was raised a witness and feel the WTS stole my childhood.

Please don't let more of your precious life slip away in an unhappy state of mind. Don't give up, you absolutely can be happy.

• flipper
    flipper

Jaguarbass- Peace to you my friend. Mr. Flipper here. I have people in my family who have had depression, I've fortunately never had it, but empathize with those that do. But something I've had that you have is an insane worh schedule with weird hours. I've worked self -employed janitorial for about 25 years with a schedule odd like yours. Go to sleep 10:00 P.M. get up at 2:30 A.M. Work till about 9:00A.M. then drive hour to hour and a half home and get a nap then start over the next night. I find in my case if I don't get a nap before working the next night, I feel like I've been in a war zone, dragging physically, mentally. It's been said in the world of medicine that we all need that REM sleep because we dream and get the deep sleep our minds and bodies need to stay healthy. I know you have a lot on your plate, but is it possible for you ,my friend to get just a little more sleep? Maybe an hour or two in between work. It just might help a bit.It has helped me survive all these years.Sometimes I've been so tired I get concious amnesia while driving wondering where the hell I'm at, then I suddenly snap out of it. Jags, we all feel your pain, I was raised in the jw's from birth too, and I try to make lemonade out of lemons life has given me. Please know you are in our hearts, be kind to yourself, don't berate yourself or let others do it to you, you are a good man, get some rest when needed. Peace to you, Mr. Flipper

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Ok, so now I'm home from work and have had a chance to read the whole thread.

I work in adult corrections, and yes it is one of the most stressful jobs around. I think that the inmates are only a small part of the stress and the majority of it lies on the part of the crazy policies and procedures.

You have every right to be pissed at being raised a JW, and yes at your age jobs do get scarce, so I can understand what you are going through.

I wouldnt recommend Paxil or anything else unless you are suicidal. I dont think they could fire you for being on anti-depressants but it could prevent you from being hired at another job if you decide to switch to another agency.

As for depression I think that what you and I went through we have every right to be angry, in fact if someone isnt angry I find them to be abnormal. It's just not normal for anyone to be shit on like we were and then be accepting of it.

I learned to channel my anger into my activism and that's where I'm at today.

Does your agency have anything like civil service protection or a merit board?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings and better days ahead to you, Jag -

Thanx for speaking out and thanx to those who've replied, to your benefit, most importantly, yet also to mine. As nowisee stated, your story mirrors mine. Ditto. And Flipper's crazy hours as a janitor - double ditto.
    I said I'd never go back to janitorial but I have recently. Art and music, my fellow musician, don't pay the bills. I've said it over and over here at JWD how an example of endurance can be an excellent teacher as well as boost to the morale. Case in point - that of Ed Dunlap and Ray Franz. They went to work at the age of 70 and mid-50s, respectively, after their ouster from Bethel. Hard, physical labor. The story of the evil done them by the WT didn't directly improve my lot in life, but it gave me a reason to start anew.
    I hope you find peace and a workable solution to your circumstance. A measure of serenity and contentment have come my way, but it hasn't been a free ride. You are a valuable person and contribute to us on the board and I'm sure, too, to your real-life community. It's hard to see the blessings when you're down, but they are there!

A friend among many,

CoCo

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Nowisee. Hugs back to you. I was just having a bad day. I see I have to reevaluate my thinking. Today is a good day. I have 2 days off for the weekend. Jag

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Hello Carmel. I think your right. I just had kind of a melt down. thanks for the advice. Hello Changeling. I am going to the bookstore shortly too look for the feeling good book. thanks. Mr. Flipper thanks for your comments. I agree about the sleep issue. I try to get plenty of sleep. I try to get 5 to 6 hours in the morning then 2 more before I go to work. Sleep is good. It is very good. Hello Junction Guy. The inmates for the most part are cool. It is the crazy policies and procedures. Does your agency have anything like civil service protection or a merit board? As far as activites at work. They made me the defensive tactics and policy instructor. So I have lots of extra duties. I teach the new recruits how to defend themselves and the policy and I refresh the veterans 8 hours once a year. I can see you channel your anger into your activism and I admire that. I wish the best to you in knocking down the Wac tower. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I just need to reasses my thinking. Everyone here has helped me see that. CoCo thanks for the good word. I spent my hours doing janitorial also. I used to go 3 nights a week after being a machinist for 10 hours a day and clean offices for 3 hours with my wife. I havent had to do that for 10 years now. All these good comments have refortified me and given me strength. And today is day 1 of my weekend.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Corrections Officer is a depressing job, dealing with JW's is a depressing thing.

If you don't want the meds or are better off financially without them, that is your decision.
    I would seriously look into relaxation techniques. Many workout vigorously to take out
    frustrations, or bicycle or jog or swim. Some find relaxation in a sport or hobby, while others
    need a quiet place. Maybe a book or a DVD of favorite movie/television will help.
    Some like to have a dog and take it for long walks. Some get hammers and saws out and
    build something, or tear something apart.

I spend too much time on JWD. That works for awhile, but I need to do active things to deal
    with depression. I am trying learning how to cook- that is doing pretty good.

• done4good
    done4good

Jag,

I consider myself lucky to have an education because of a very liberal dub "big brother", about your age, who forced me to go to college, even though the borg was dead against it stil in 1991. If I can offer any advice back to someone, it's that they are never too old to go to school, learn something you like doing, and DO it. You'll be much happier in the end.

Jason

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit