Well now I'm just angry

by lola28 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

I just read Blondie’s WT review and it made me angry. How can the Society continue to place more importance on pioneering than getting an education or getting a good job? Why do these men insist on making young ones (and even older members) feel bad for wanting to have a secure future, what the hell is wrong with not wanting to live in a tent?

When I was sixteen the sister that studied with me went on vacation and for the two weeks that she was gone she had me study with another sister, we will call her Carmen. Carmen is a sweet woman she was 30 when I was sixteen and still living with her parents, why was she living with her parents? Because she dropped out of school and could not afford to move out. She also drove a car that was always close to breaking down (thankfully it never did so while we were out in service at 5:00am). Even as a 16 year old that fully believed in the "truth" I felt that something was wrong with her situation and with that of many of the pioneers in the hall. Some of them *most of them* had a hard time making ends meet, it always struck me as sad that some of them could not afford five bucks to go to Burger king at lunch time ( this is in no way an exaggeration), often times the older sisters would treat the pioneers to lunch.

For those of you that may be lurking, I hope you understand that there is nothing wrong with getting an education and a good job, if you really believe this is the truth that’s fine, but do not place all your eggs in one basket. It is not wrong to want to get an education, it is not wrong to want to have a good job. Wanting to own a home and have a good car does not make you materialistic. It is entirely normal to want to be able to support yourself; living from pay check to paycheck is NOT what you should want for yourself, not when you can do so much better. Remember that the society will NOT take care of you when you are older and can’t work anymore.

End of rant.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    End of rant.

And a very good one, at that.

Warlock

• Mum
    Mum

Of course the best reason for education is to expand your horizons and find your passion. A liberal education is about much more than good employment, although job skills are just fine, too. I found that I have a facility with language, and I have studied several languages, and wish I had more time for travel and study. I wish I liked math better because that's where the money is.

After taking a few college courses, it is easy to discern the reasons why the Watchtower discourages education. Information is their enemy.

I never learned anything that I considered a waste of time.

Regards,

SandraC

• R.F.
    R.F.

Rant on lola.

I agree with you. It's sad that many fall for this deception by the WT. I even fell for it and even quit college for the religion. I hate I messed over those few years but fortunately i'm still young. I want to go back and finish.

I know if MANY JWs that are struggling to the point of hardly eating, and all they look to is "getting out in service more, sit back and watch Jehovah provide."

I hope many more JWs wise up, especially the young that are really just beginning life.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I pioneered for almost 5 years out of highschool. II had no idea what I was doing, no plans for the future. I went to all those conventions and let them drill their crap into my head about pioneering as a career. I knew that I did not want to live with my parents for the rest of my life. (Although it seemed like thats what they wanted, goofballs) But how could I afford to live on my own working 3 days a week for $7-8 an hour? Meanwhile the elders who pushed me to do more had great jobs, fancy new trucks, every toy they wanted and could never go out in service because they were too tired.

• free2think
    free2think

I agree with you completely Lola. I hope people who are lurking take note.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Meanwhile the elders who pushed me to do more had great jobs, fancy new trucks, every toy they wanted and could never go out in service because they were too tired.

AR, you just hit the nail on the head...........................with a sledge hammer, but don't forget the homes. Most of them owned homes.

Warlock

• Vinny
    Vinny

"Meanwhile the elders who pushed me to do more had great jobs, fancy new trucks, every toy they wanted and could never go out in service because they were too tired."

• Rubens
    Rubens

And you know what? I fear its getting worse with time. I remember a "brother" I studied with had two young beautiful kids, both under the age of 7. However, these kids never attended a regular school. They were completely home schooled and to the best of my knowledge, it was the parents intention to do that as long as possible.

Now lets say these kids grow up and decide to be pioneers, maybe even going to Bethel. Essentially, the father was trying to keep them away from "the world". What happens if they have children of their own and have to leave Bethel? It boggles my mind to imagine what kind of shock those kids are going to have when they are introduced to the real world. As much as I understand the concept of pioneering and keeping your kids away from the world, they do need to experience to grow on their own.

Those extremists may as well wrap themselves and their kids in a bubble...

(End of my Rant)

Rubens

• greendawn
    greendawn

Lola that is a good point, usually good education equates with social respectability and a good standard of living. Why would any youth capable of a university education make such sacrifices for the sake of a self serving cult? Supposedly they will be serving God not the manmade org! What a smart deception: we make you work for us by making you beleve that you are working for God and that he will reward you very richly soon!

Amber Rose I don't know how they could advise you to what amounts to a vow of poverty when they were so well off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit