Any Circuit or District Overseers That Made An Impression On You?

by minimus 84 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

Minimus, L Brown was black and he also served in Brooklyn and I think Queens NY.

He was not a company man and he did not think that the elders should get involved with family matters

My dad who was not a dub got along really well with him and when ever he visited our congo, he always stopped by to watch sports on TV with my dad.

• minimus
    minimus

Was he a big guy?

• juni
    juni

Don't know the guy Jeff. Sorry.

Juni

• steve2
    steve2

I'm enjoying reading about poster's varied accounts of the COs and DOs: A lot of nice people caught up in a mostrous orgnaization. Interesting that these men (and, if married, their wives) all eventually leave the organization in one way or another: Either through fading or literally dying. So much for millions now living....blah, blah, blah. Ah, there is an end to this nightmare called the Watchtower Society!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I had some fun in service with a CO named Lubomir (Luby) Sawkiw.

One time I found myself alone in the field service with him and his wife Pat, and he took me to a McDonalds and started a long conversation about the TV series "Star Trek -- The Next Generation" and all the characters he liked.

Another time between morning and afternoon service when he visited, he and I did competing versions of Beethoven's "Fur Elise" on the piano. He was an accomplished musician.

If memory serves me right, he was also the same one who popped in a tape of "Beauty and the Beast" songs while we were between calls one morning.

Luby was a pretty fun guy, in spite of being a circuit overseer.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Minimus - yes he was tall and large.

• minimus
    minimus

Years ago, I left a wedding to come back to give a public talk. I was a newly appointed MS then. I drove almost 5 hours to get to the Hall. Sitting in the parking lot in a big Cadillac was a brother in a very large "cool" hat and his wife. They put their window down and asked my wife and I if we were there (early) to hear the public talk. My wife answered, "yes, and my husband is giving it. We just came all the way from Vermont". The sister said, "I doubt that your husband will be giving the talk as MY husband, the Circuit Overseer, is scheduled to give it". Then the CO smiled and asked me what my name was and that he would be SURE to make sure the elders knew about their error. He seemed to feel bad but I could tell by the look in his eye that soomeone was gonna get hell.....I'm almost positive he was "Brother Brown".

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Best CO we ever had was a new one, a young married couple from Kentucky, Tim and Patricia Antonio.

The last two we had were so discouraging, it made for six years of banging my head on the wall, and DREADING rather than anticipating the visit.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Sounds like him.

I am sure their was a very unhappy service overseer after that mix up.

I was in field service with him once and an elderly sister was having a hard time getting into a small car. The elder driving the car became impatient waiting for her to get in and he yelled at his wife to get out of the car and help the sister. L Brown heard this and without missing a beat yelled back to the elder, "why don't you get off you fat butt and help your elderly sister".

Needless to say the elder was completely embrassed in front of the entire FS group, but we all had a good laugh about it later on behind his back.

There are tons of stories about L Brown.

We used to call him JR's evil twin..

• minimus
    minimus

Most COs left people alone but could be pains in the ass with the elders. When they torture everybody, people tend to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit