Any Circuit or District Overseers That Made An Impression On You?

by minimus 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Black Man,

R.L. Jones: The coolest CO I ever knew. Armani suits, stacy adams shoes, cool wife. Knew about the politics behind the publishing corporation.

I had him not that long ago. I think he's starting to lose it a little, but he's a pretty good guy. My craziest sheparding call I've ever been on involved him and a very sick sister in my hall. I really couldn't follow what he was talking about (from org politics - he was not a Rutherford fan to actual US/world politics). The sister didn't really know how to react but I think she appreciated the attention. Of course, he was involved in org politics as well and was the only CO I had when an elder that ordered me to sack one of my fellow elders (which I did not).

I did like his wife as well. He was one of the few COs that actually raised kids and thus was a favorite among elders with children because at least he had a little balance (for a CO).

Edited to add: I always loved his "wrap-up sessions" with the Service Committee. After one particularly difficult visit, he told us that he 1) felt sorry for us having to deal with some of our fellow elders, and 2) he was going to need a couple of glasses of scotch to settle down after the visit so lets cut this meeting short and go home!! I also called him on the carpet on something and his reaction was unusual. He said, you're right, I'm wrong and I'm sorry. I've never seen a CO that humble.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Paul Illingsworth is a DO and an MTS instructor last I heard. Was in Service at Patterson for a little while. Very interesting MTS brothers said he would write koene greek on the whiteboard during classes on the NWT. Appeared very prim and proper, but he had a fun sense of humor. I seen him in a pic during one MTS in his office with his feet on his desk, reading sports illustrated...big golf fan apparently. met him once, one of the genuinely nice guys in the Borg.

Beltrami was/is in St. louis I think for awhile.

here are some other names...anyone remember these fellas? Mel Branam from TX,,,was in MO/IL/WVA (retired to KS..dont know if he is still alive or not), Harley Breneman, Les and Joanie Bailey (real decent guy...had a heart attack or something in Colorado. I think he is in CA now). Albert Cobble (That idiot was selling LCI/ACN phone service while serving as CO ...made a ton of money, wife sold t-shirts she designed out of their trunk...always dropping hints to the friends to buy them things....money grubbers....got booted out of circuit work finally..think he is carolinas now), Michael Emilio ..still single CO (from 1st class of MTS...served NV and IL, now in Italian circuit east coast), Dan Walke (was in WI/IL, now I think in KY) Robert "Yukon Bob" Hartman (served as CO for 16 years in Alaska..see 84 YB)....then District work...IL/MO, OH,...then had health problems...heard he was in CA in Circuit again....still single....ought to be 80 by now...another real nice guy.

just a few names that come to mind.

SnakesInTheTower (of the Fading Sheep Class)

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Goff was teaching (or getting ready to teach) MTS in Hawaii when he died...he was from KS...I think they sent some MTS brothers there. another nice guy....his death means he is free of the borg..... a real nice guy and a real loss to humanity (and I sincerely mean that)

SnakesInTheTower (of the Fading Sheep Class)

• choosing life
    choosing life

Worst CO would have to be the one who flew his son into each congregation he served and helped him set up a multi-level marketing system with the son at the top, of course. Had to do with a new telephone company. Still going on today and many pioneers are still with the company.

The CO, on the other hand, was finally deleted due to the numerous complaints about his using his position to make money off the brothers. I hear he and his son are quite well off now.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Doubting Bro,

Yeah, R.L. definitely was cut from a different tree. And because he raised a family before getting into the work, I feel it made him more balanced and not as fanatical as some of the other COs. His wife Claire complimented him real well and you can't help but root for guys like that. He once told me that he could've been a DO, but he just didn't want to boot-kiss to do it.

Does anyone remember Bro. Silva - a greek brother that served the Michigan area in the early 1980s? I hear that he isn't a DO anymore and is doing a slow fade, I believe in Florida somewhere. I am sure at some point that he has posted here. He had a great speaking quality, very charismatic, well-researched, very engaging and was one of the more even-keel COs that I knew as well. Knew Greek pretty well, too.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Pedro and Levine? Hines.

They were from I think Philly and were in their early 30's attractive and had graduated college.

They actually encouraged me to go to college and I was made a MS my sophmore year. I was also a poineer at the time, but at least most of them left me alone about my education.

JR Brown was also my CO for a time, and I considered him to be a mentor to me.

He tried to talk me into going to Bethel, but I back out at the last minute.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Another sidenote on Illingworth. He was in the service department at Bethel for awhile and HATED it. He wanted to be out on the road, and the WTS obliged. Now he is the registrar (head instructor) for MTS last I heard............

• moshe
    moshe

I have purged that memory bank. I can't remember the name of one CO or DO. Sometimes a name is mentioned on JWD and it will jog my mind about them. I wonder what became of some of these company men as they had invested their entire life in a promise of going into the new order and never dying.

• Quandary
    Quandary

The best CO ever was W.J. Kalandros, I believe he is in So. Cal area now. He and his wife Rosalyn (Roz) were truly genuine people who knew how to have a good time.

Q

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

There was only one CO that in my mind was memorable, J.F. Alee. I really liked him and his talks always captured my attention he was/seemed very sincere. I still remember from one of his talks:
    "Big bricks little bricks baked in the sun. Work, work, work and they'll never get it done"...
    I think that talk was about being sidetracked form spiritual needs with secular work. My family had him to our house a few times for meals, he always seemed like such a nice guy and he actually talked to us kids- I don't ever remember any other CO doing that.

** also I'm not certain if that's the right spelling of his name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit