Who Likes 80's "Modern Rock"?

by Open mind 55 Replies latest social entertainment

• nvrgnbk
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Leolaia:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my 13th grade education had a pretty tough time absorbing too much of it. I too did a little googling and found a site that's peddling memory aid stuff but that had a few teaser articles that were more layman friendly. Here's the link:

http://www.memory-key.com/Language/music.htm

And here's a brief excerpt that sums up what I was thinking of:

Language, music, and emotion

I mention this now because he also suggests that both music and language helped humans knit together in social groups, and maybe music was first. We are all familiar with the extraordinary power of music to not only evoke emotion, but also to bind us into a group. Think of your feelings at times of group singing - the singing of the national anthem, singing 'Auld Lang Syne' at New Year's Eve, singing in church, campfire singing, carol singing ... fill in your own experience.

Dunbar also observes that, while skilled oratory has its place of course, language is fairly inadequate at the emotional level - something we all have occasion to notice when we wish to offer comfort and support to those in emotional pain. At times like these, we tend to fall back on the tried and true methods of our forebears - touch.

So, while language is unrivalled in its ability to convey "the facts", there is a point at which it fails. At this point, other facilities need to step in. At an individual level, we have touch, and "body language". At the social level, we have music.

Language and music then, may well have developed together, not entirely independently. More evidence for this comes from recent neurological studies.

(END OF EXCERPT)

Seems pretty reasonable to me. In fact, I think this whole 80's Music Thread demonstrates music's ability to help people "knit together in social groups".

Open Mind

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Did anyone mention Nik Kershaw?

• Open mind
    Open mind

"Wouldn't it be good" if someone did?

Open Mind

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Did anyone mention Nik Kershaw?

"Wouldn't it be good" if someone did?

OMG! Open mind made a funny! LOL!

• sir82
    sir82
    Mojo Nixon

!

Don Henley must die!

• Open mind
    Open mind

This reminds me of something I used to do for grins in my 15-20 yr old days. I'd try to see how many quotes from pop music lyrics I could work into a TMS talk without getting talked to.

I was usually good for at least 4 or 5 "hidden" quotes per talk.

Open Mind

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hey guess what, the very performance I saw is on Youtube, courtesy of the radio station that sponsored the concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6CMTi8LME

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

oh man, i'm feeling nostalgic now. maybe i missed it, but no one mentioned tears for fears or flock of seagulls.

dead can dance, smiths, depeche mode. i need to break out my tape player. lol

• eclipse
    eclipse

it! Brings back fond memories of being a bad dub listening to worldly music....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit