Who Likes 80's "Modern Rock"?

by Open mind 55 Replies latest social entertainment

• monophonic
    monophonic

OMG, i did i forget Oingo Boingo, I think I saw them about 7 or 8 times. And David Bowie, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Fixx, The Alarm, Mojo Nixon, Morrissey, Depeche Mode, Midnight Oil, Robyn Hitchcock, Sugarcubes (I met Bjork then), OMD (actually I didn't like them until I saw them live and they blew me away opening for Depeche Mode.), Devo, PIL, REM, The Mighty Lemon Drops, Wire, Duran Duran, Faith No More (when chuck mosley was lead singer), The Posies, Sting, Lone Justice, Wham, Greg Kihn Band, Stray Cats and The Pretenders.

those are the bands i remember seeing in the 80's and my brain was jarred reading the list....i didn't include bands who i've seen in the 90's or 00's, even though they're on the KROQ list.

• monophonic
    monophonic

The Cure just announced a tour through the USA.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hey monophonic!

This is getting good!

How about Just Like Honey by Jesus and the Mary Chain? That's my fave of theirs.

And Bizarre Love Triangle is my fave of New Order.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There was plenty of music that I liked in teh 1980's though the 1970's music was even better, among the groups I listened to a lot were Abba, REM, Roxette, UB40, The travelling Wilburys, Spandau Ballet, Pet Shop Boys, Genesis, Eurythmics.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the suggestions leolaia!

Seawolf sounds alot like what Interpol is putting out next month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmLdBOS2aI&mode=related&search=

Interpol is just a little "darker".

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm not much of a "modern rock" fan, but here's a few others:

Bucks Fizz
    Missing Persons
    Was (Not Was)
    Adam & The Ants
    Alexa
    Aneka
    Saga

I think Roxy Music's 80s stuff also fits in here

• unique1
    unique1

WHO DOESN"T???

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Open mind....Music and language....hmm, I recall some neurolinguistic stuff on this...that there is a brain stimulus response to music that is similar to language, i.e. that music is interpreted semantically or in terms of cohesion that mimics cohesion in language. I just googled around and found this article in Nature on this subject, "Music, Language, and Meaning: Brain Signatures of Semantic Processing":

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v7/n3/abs/nn1197.html

nvrgnbk....I saw Interpol a few weeks ago and they played that song in the set....quite a memorable tune, even though it was the first time I heard it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk....I saw Interpol a few weeks ago and they played that song in the set....quite a memorable tune, even though it was the first time I heard it.

What?! You really do rock Leolaia!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Bauhaus

Dead can Dance

The Dammed

Social Distortion

The Killing Joke (living in the 80's)

Siouxie & the Banshees

Peter Murphy

Dead Kennedys

The Church