Who Likes 80's "Modern Rock"?

by Open mind 55 Replies latest social entertainment

• Open mind
  • Open mind
    Open mind

That's what happens when you hit "Enter" instead of "Tab" after the subject line.

DOH!

Too much tekeela 2nite.

OK, some of my faves:

Depressed Mode, Da Cure, The smiths/Morrissey, New Order (not the JW version),.....

I'll stop there for now.

Open Mind

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Sure. Depeche a la Mode, Siouxsie & the Banshees, and the Smiths are among my favorite bands ever. I was also a Durannie in my day. Simple Minds' New Gold Dream is a classic that still remains fresh, just as the Eurythmics' 1984 album is as well. When I think of "modern rock," however, I think also of late '80s type stuff like the Cult, the Church, the Smithereens, the Pixies, Social Distortion, R.E.M., etc. which was all great too.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Not sure what other groups are included in "Modern Rock", (first time I've ever heard this term), but I like a great deal of '80s music, including some of the groups you mentioned.

• ninja
    ninja

the smiths are one of my favourite bands too.....anyone who can come up with lyrics like..."Writing frightening verse To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg"...gets my vote

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Pretty much anything from the 4AD label was quality music.

Bauhaus

Modern English

The The

The Cocteau Twins

This Mortal Coil

Dead Can Dance

The Pixies

The Breeders( Can we sneak them in? They were 1990)

And now, please check out one of 4AD's latest offerings, Blonde Redhead, they've been around for a while.

Here's their newest work:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3853694463574932307&q=blonde+redhead&total=738&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6

Based on your preferences stated above, you guys should love it.

Enjoy!

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Do "Sisters of Mercy" count ?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Me Me Me! Used to listen to a radio station in the SF bay area called "The Quake" that played all that stuff, now it's called "Alice" and it still plays Alternative, listened to it when I went back to visit last year. We don't have anything like it here among the cornfields.

Josie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Do "Sisters of Mercy" count ?

OMG YEAH AO!

MrsJones5- I feel your pain. I gave up on radio years ago. We got radio from the University of Pennsylvania. That's good. The rest sucks. Even the so-called "alternative" stations are nothing of the sort.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Don't forget big hair. Cinderella, Poison, Warrant, Motley Crue, Winger, Bon Jovi, Europe, etc. That was rock and roll of the highest quality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit