E-watchman says Ray Franz is 'animalistic' LOL!

by yaddayadda 48 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2
    As we say here in the Deep South, that bro's bread ain't about to be done! He's definitely six eggs shy of a dozen.

Or as we say here in New Zealand: He's one sandwich short of a picnic. To be fair to the man, he probably possesses the qualities necessary to build up a "loyal" bunch of followers: Over confident in his claims, a sense of a unique mission, has special access to knowledge and interpretations that we don't have access to, and impervious to evidence (lack of evidence doesn't at all alter his beliefs).

Robert King does Grandiosity and Narcissism Big Time - and in that regard he actually would not be out of place as one of the governing body members (He would take this last comment as a compliment, I'm sure ).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Yaddayadda.."Any fool knows that a psychiartrist would hardly label him insane."....Your words from you,to myself and hillary_step.....Do you think before you Post??..LOL!!......A fool wouldn`t notice RobertKing was insane..He would only see the intellect not the insanity..A fool might even admire him.....You admit you are not a Psychiatrist..Yet,you pretend to speak for someone with that education.....Have you had countless conversations with him,as many here have had??.....There is a Moron on this Thread!!..But..It is niether myself or hillary_step..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

I too argued w youknow numerous times. I too think that he is insane, as in having mental illness. His high intelligence tends to hide obscure the illness. According to wikipedia, insanity is a general term which means mental illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity

Insanity, or madness, is a general term for a semi-permanent, severe mental disorder. The concept has been used in a number of ways historically. Today it is most commonly encountered as a generic informal term, or in the more narrow legal context of criminal insanity. In the medical profession, it is nowadays avoided in favor of specific diagnoses of mental illness.

Jump to the mental illness topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_illness

quotes

Psychoanalytic theories, focused on unresolved internal and relational conflicts, have been posited as overall explanations of mental disorder,

Patterns of belief, language use and perception can become disordered. Psychotic disorders centrally involving this domain include Schizophrenia and Delusional disorder. Schizoaffective disorder is a category used for individuals showing aspects of both schizophrenia and affective disorders. Schizotypy is a category used for individals showing some of the traits associated with schizophrenia but without meeting cut-off criteria.

The fundamental characteristics of a person that influence his or her cognitions, motivations, and behaviors across situations and time - can be seen as disordered due to being abnormally rigid and maladaptive. Categorical schemes list a number of different personality disorders, such as those classed as eccentric (e.g. Paranoid personality disorder, Schizoid personality disorder, Schizotypal personality disorder), those described as dramatic or emotional (Antisocial personality disorder, Borderline personality disorder or Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder or Impulsive Personality Disorder, Histrionic personality disorder, Narcissistic personality disorder) or those seen as fear-related (Avoidant personality disorder, Dependent personality disorder, Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder).

S

• steve2
    steve2

Satanus, you're on to something here, but be careful not to lump all the mental disorder labels into the same basket as legal labels. An individual can have a diagnosable personality disorder (for example Narcissistic personality disorder), but still not be "insane" - a term that has more legal than mental health significance.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Steve2,

Against the backdrop of this thread, everybody reading would know exactly what AlanF, Outlaw and myself meant when we described Robert King as insane. Was David Koresh insane or did he have a personality defect? How about Frederick The Loon Franz? Even psychiatrists would have differing views on this matter.

Yaddadadda seems to be the only person reading who cannot grasp what we were implying by using the term 'insane' to describe Robert Kings particular dimension of insanity!

HS

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

There is nothing like a good fence-sitter mentality - Robert King has been DF'd as an apostate, yet still proclaims his views that the WTS is God's mouthpiece. He is a bit of delusional insanity.

He has made videos and written books proclaiming his foolishness. Kinda like the mental nut-job who yells out " I am all for law and order" - as he runs firing into a hail of gunfire. This guy only hits on 5 or 6 cylinders out of 8 on a very good day.

I could only read about the first two lines of his tripe before I quit. Too bad the GB got rid of him - he would have made a good GB member someday - he has all the 'right stuff'. Geez what a fruitloop.

Jeff

• steve2
    steve2
    Against the backdrop of this thread, everybody reading would know exactly what AlanF, Outlaw and myself meant when we described Robert King as insane.

I'm the first to admit I don't know what is going on for this man from a mental-disorder perspective. However, it's worth defining the term "insane": From a legal perspective, it is used as a defense because it means the individual was assessed (usually by a psychiatrist or forensic/clinical psychologist) as so severely mentally disordered that they are incapable of taking responsibility for their actions - especially regarding any harmful behaviour to themselves or others that results in the breaking of the law.

Here is an excerpt from the sixth edition of Synopsis of Psychiatry by Kaplan and Sadock (1997):

"According to criminal law, a socially harmful act is not the sole criterion of a crime. Rather, the objectionable act must have two components: voluntary conduct (actus reus) and evil intent (mens rea). There cannot be a mens rea if the offender's mental status is so deficient, so abnormal, or so diseased as to have deprived the offender of the capacity of rational intent. The law can be invoked only when an illegal intent is implemented. Neither behavior, however harmful, nor the intent to harm is, in itself, grounds for criminal action." p. 827

Now, the tricky part is determining whether a mentally-disordered individual was also legally insane at the time the actions were committed. Extreme examples often help get the point across: Was Hitler insane or "just" evil - in other words, although probably personality disordered (e.g. psychopathic), to what extent did he display rational intent as defined by the law?

As I see it, the question is not whether Robert King has some sort of perosnality disorder (I'd guess he does). The question is, to what extent does his mental illness preclude him taking responsibility for any behaviour stemming from his beliefs?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Steve,

However, it's worth defining the term "insane".

Why?

This is just a discussion board and I suspect that most readers know exactly what we mean when we describe 'You Know' as "insane", even he would. He may disagree with us, at least, if God instructed him too, but insane he is. Interesting? Yes. Amusing? Yes. Intelligent? Likable in some ways? Yes. Perfect double for the Mad Hatter? Yes. Insane? Yes. He has lots of positives going for him.

I would be very interested in anyone providing us with a post or two made by Robert King on this Board that would suggest that he is not delusional. Any takers?

HS

• steve2
    steve2
    This is just a discussion board and I suspect that most readers know exactly what we mean when we describe 'You Know' as "insane", even he would.

Cool. I appreciate you being upfront and I do get what you mean...Mad Hatter, insanity and all . I reacted to another poster's evidently serious linking of some homicidal and suicidal behaviours carried out by delusional religious leaders to Robert King's propensity. Tossing around the label insane in that context kind of gets me started because when it is applied to these behaviours, it starts to feel unfair and slanderous... a reaction I'd feel regardless of who the person is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit