Update: So I've been going to some meetings (and other things)

by WingCommander 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Greetings All:

I've been absent from this board from some time, as I've been through alot the past few months. Firstly, my mother passed away after complications from her surgery. So I've lost my entire family since 1999. I'm an only child. I'm not even 30. I was so sad and devastated that I didn't know what to do. I will say that during my mother's decline I started praying harder than I ever had before to Jehovah, and I did feel some comfort that I had never felt before. I do look forward to the resurrection, and I know my mother did as well. She was baptized, but inactive for a few years.

I actually got support from the Body of Elders, even though I hadn't been to a meeting in probably 5 years. (except the Memorial) They offered the Kingdom Hall (politely declined, I had a nice funeral home lined up), and one Elder whom I've known since early childhood was perfectly happy to give a nice, not-so-typical JW service. He did a fantastic job, and didn't say ANYTHING about the 144,000, the GB, or anything like that. He didn't even mention Jehovah except in the prayer. Overall, it was a very nice service and celebration of life for my mother, with all my non-JW relatives, and about 10 JW friends of ours showing up. None of my relatives were offended at the talk to the Elder gave. It lasted only 20 minutes. Several of my mother’s friends and co-workers spoke highly of her after the talk.
    Anyway, during all of this I really had to examine my belief system and what I wanted in life and how to raise my now young child. Was I being too hard on the JW's? I mean, I always felt they had some truth, and that alot of how you were brought up depended on how strict your congregation and parents were to the rules, etc. Could I go back to just the Sunday meetings, be a good person and live by God's standards, raise my child very liberally (according to JW standards) and still gain God's and everyone else's acceptance? Where the JW's really that bad, or have I been sighing and moaning over the past for too long? Also, I have something my parents didn't have: Knowledge, a history of the JW past, and an inquisitive critically thinking mind. I mean, with all of that surely they can't turn me into a zombie, right?

So.......after some pondering and praying, I have decided to just go back to Sunday meetings for a while. It's been ok so far....everyone has treated me nicely without love bombing me, I've spoken openly (when asked) about whether I've been to other churches, and I've even asked questions without retribution. I haven't had anyone ask if I'd like to study with them, but again maybe that's because they are half afraid of the questions I'd ask them. They can already see I know my history, am educated, and aren't afraid to ask pin-point questions aimed at certain beliefs or doctrine. I really do want answers to some questions I have never been given satisfaction on, so we'll see how that goes.
    As for the meetings themselves.....the Sunday talk is usually good, but I have noticed for the very first time how much they flip through scriptures and only highlight what they want kind of out of context. This is somewhat troubling to me. Also, the almost constant droning about obeying the Society and also not using the internet is down right scary. I mean, it's really absurd and I nearly laughed out loud at the thought of not researching things on the internet. What decade/century do we live in again? They really do seem paranoid and like they are afraid of losing their grip. But that was only like one talk...the rest were ok. As for the people themselves, I see half and half. I'd say 65% look happy, and the other 35% are depressed or tired.
    So what do I mean about being liberal with my child? Well for one, I celebrate B-days, period. I see nothing wrong with it. I celebrated almost all holidays for 1 year (last year) just to see how it was, and I have to be honest and say that I didn't feel like more or less of a Chrstian for doing so. So to be honest, I wouldn't miss holidays or care much about them. Also, I'd let my child be in Cub Scouts, sports, karate, school activities, and hang with worldly kids in moderation. I'd also ENCOURAGE continuing education. I think that's a pretty normal life, minus not celebrating holidays. Oh yeah, I wouldn't force the field ministry and any other meetings on him. (Besides Sunday) I also use my own Bible....a Revised New American Standard.

I guess I'll let you all know how this all turns out from time to time. I've looked into other denominations, and I'm just not comfortable with the Trinity, etc. I also feel that they have left alot of the "Old" crap behind from C.T., like the Masonic symbols, Finished Mystery garbage, Rutherford/Franz droning about the end, etc. In short, I feel they've made SOME kind of progress and maybe are deserving of a second chance. Maybe I'll get burned or disillusioned again, and I guess if that happens I'm done. All I know is I need something right now in my life, some sort of spiritual path towards God and His word.

I want you all to know that I don't intend to become some uppity MS or some WT thumping aux pioneer. That has never been my thing, informal witnessing has always been more productive in my opinion. You can only become a cult member if you allow yourself to go too far, and that is true of anything. My in-laws are Lutherans, and they are so involved at their church all the time it's like a cult, seriously! Although I'd have to admit that they actually enjoy and have fun at their church, whereas most JW's I feel are just quilted into going to ALL the meetings.

Don't be mad at me. I'm in part trying to get over being bitter about my upbringing....and the more I think about it, the more I feel it is something that should be left in my past, to be forgiven and for me not to make the same mistakes.

Regards,
    - Wing Commander

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

((((Wing-C)))) orphaned now and I am so sorry to hear it. I think your post is beautiful, well considered and evenly decided. You do what is good for your soul my friend. I do understand completely and its very cool that you can be that honest. Come back and let me love bomb you whenever you need it. Joy and happiness to you and your family.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

hm, i've already made one post, i'll make one more and then I'm done for the day....

Don't be mad at me. I'm in part trying to get over being bitter about my upbringing....and the more I think about it, the more I feel it is something that should be left in my past, to be forgiven and for me not to make the same mistakes.

Dude it is not our place to be mad at you. This is the story of your life. The only thing I have EVER wanted for JW's was just to be informed and not in the dark so that they can make an informed decision. No religion is perfect, there are no perfect people.

If this is what you need to do to heal, to move on and to have peace in your life, so be it. I think the only thing I would suggest is this:

If you start doing the whole field service routine again, remember all that you were not taught and all that these people have a right to know.

good luck Cmdr

• emptywords
    emptywords

I hope that you find what you are looking for, and that things work out for you. Everyone has choices and whatever choice they make is theirs and their alone, and to be respected.

All the best, and good on you for making a dicision. Better than being in limbo.

Cheers

• TheListener
    TheListener

I wish you the best wing commander. We all must live our lives in our own way. I'm very sorry for your losses. I can't even imagine the pain you must be enduring. I will keep you in my prayers.

You have your eyes open and it seems that you do see both sides of the picture.

All I ask is that you please please please don't allow anyone, the congregation, elders, etc to cloud your view of God's grace. We don't have to earn God's grace and we don't have to earn God's love - he gives it freely and willingly. I understand that once we accept God and Jesus into our lives we will be motivated to act and that is good and acceptable. Being motivated to act, whether it be informal witnessing or living your life with Godly principles in mind, is completely different from having to obey the FD&S, attend all meetings, have the pioneer spirit and maintain a regular monthly ministry, etc etc in order to maintain a relationship with God.

Good luck, and I look forward to all your updates.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

So sorry to hear about your mom. I can respect your choice to go back if that is what you want, but how long do you think they will tolerate you being a liberal JW?

If you allow your children to join the boy/girl scouts allow them Karate, and allow them to celebrate birthdays, how long do you thing the JW's will allow you to associate with them?

I guess Im just kinda shocked. I have read some of your posts, and even though you never appeared to be a gung-ho apostate, I never figured you would actually go back either.

Is your wife a JW?

• Gayle
    Gayle

I can understand your dilemma. However, as your child grows you will have conflicts. Your child will want the holidays and other social aspects that wouldn't be allowed with other JWs kids. Your child will be ostracised by those kids (as their parents will teach them). As your child grows and is allowed to have a free mind, your child will not be drawn to something so boring and unnatural for a child. Hopefully, in time you can find a group more progressive and realistic and fun for children. Best of wishes for you and your little one!

• changeling
    changeling

I'm sorry about your mom and all the other losss you've experienced. I am bewildered by your wanting to return, though I respect your desicion to do so. I feel you are setting yourself up for future hurt and dissapointment. Remember, according to the WT, you can't have it both ways. Ultimately they will get tired of your "sratteling the fence", and you will feel compeled to make desicions. "Loosy goosy" does not work for witnesses. If that happens, we will all be here to support you. In the meantime, do what is right for you, I wish you all the best.

• juni
    juni

(((wingcommander and son)))

NEVER would I be angry w/anyone who chose to go back. That is their business and life to make that decision.

I feel you are going back with your eyes wide open and your mind also. That is the right attitude and healthy and smart!!! May you and your son have abundant peace and happiness in your life together. Please accept my sympathies. You have under gone a lot of pain in your life.

I wish you and your son every success and please "drop" in to say hi from time to time if you are able. Take care!

Hugs, Juni

• dawg
    dawg

I'm sorry about the passing of your mother..... her spirit is now with the eternal no longer burdened with the affairs of this dimension... hopefully a better deal than what we expierence everyday.

You talk about chruches and the trinity as if that is something you can't get over; while giving a pass to the JWs for what they teach, which is much more harmful than just some metaphorical kind of dogma about a tri headed God. In this world JW dogma causes harm, you've recently lost your mother, I've lost my whole family to this cult, all becasue of their dogma which states that the GB can't be questioned sans the ones doing the questioning facing the punishment of shunning. ANd you want your child to learn the ways of the witnesses but can't get over the trinity? How many churches out there destroy famlies when one of their members realizes they don't agree with church doctrines? Do what you want brother, but think about what may happen.... this is a reality that I know first hand. This is my reality and I will never take my child around the fools at the Kindom Hall... But you're a grown man, do what you think is best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit