Positive changes in your life since leaving WBTS

by Mrs Smith 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

For me it's the friendships I have made with people that would have been considered too wordly to be friends with while I was still a JW. Leaving behind the guilt of never been good enough or doing enough. Celebrating the birthday of my precious children making them feel like king and queen for the day. Giving my hubby his first ever birthday party at the age of 40! (This was a really moving experience for all our friends and family) Knowing that I have the right to ask questions and use my intelligence regarding any topic. Knowing that being a woman does not mean that I am a lesser being.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I finally feel alive. It is like I have come out of mental solitary confinement.

• monophonic
    monophonic

[I finally feel alive. It is like I have come out of mental solitary confinement.]

i couldn't have said it better.

just not having to be racist anymore with the 'us and them' attitude and actually knowing that people don't have to be jws to be spiritual and that i can trust them and be great friends with them....not like i was indoctrinated to think that anyone worldly had ulterior motives for hanging out with me and that they were all selfish....kind of turned out all my friends within the borg were the ones with ulterior motives and they were the ones not to be trusted.

• free2think
    free2think

I feel so free, and when i do things that the dubs said were wrong i feel no guilt, which is so liberating. I can go out without feeling guilty and enjoy myself, it feels so good.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

The reason I started this topic is two fold. Firstly it seems like many here have been feeling a bit blue lately and I thought this thread will cheer them up a bit. Secondly lurkers out there have to know that we are getting on with our lives and are happy about leaving the WBTS and are not living in the past with the "poor me I was a JW" syndrome. Please keep the positive posts coming.

• erandir
    erandir

I was just thinking about this on the way home from work this morning. (I work nights.) What a coincidence! Anyway, I feel like a free man...self-confidence is boosted, guilt is gone, and life is looking so positive now. My depression is almost completely gone (still have a bad day every once in a while, but who doesn't?).

I just got a promotion at work today (from grunt to management), and I was thinking on the way home that before when I was an active dub, I always felt guilty about trying for a promotion. Now I feel like life is worthwhile and that I'm good enough to succeed and move up in the company. That I can still retain my humility and have a little ambition instead of subscribing to the WT ideal of being an entry-level worker forever. I'm getting along great with people at work since I'm not trying to avoid associating with them anymore. I have true friends now whose friendship doesn't depend on what I believe or how regular I am in some "preaching" work.

I am also glad I am making my parents and brother happy again by being able to celebrate holidays with them again...like we used to years ago.

I just feel free and confident and...happy! When I was one of "the happiest people on earth," I didn't feel this way. How strange.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Lack of guilt for normal human actions

Education

Developing an emotional side to my personality lol

The knowledge that I made the correct decision

Things I miss

Naivety - seriously sometimes being in the dark can be good

Innocence - especially sexual innocence

Belief - I actually miss having a belief structure but I simply cannot reconcile my education with deities, angels and demons

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith
    I just got a promotion at work today (from grunt to management

Congratulations!! I'm really happy for you.

• erandir
    erandir

Mrs. S, thank you!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Love, self-respect, pride, time, personal growth, fun, direction, confidence, the cure for depression....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit