Ridiculous JW superstitions

by B_Deserter 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I'm not talking about the stuff you hear at the Kingdom Hall, I'm talking about the "experiences" you were told of by people you knew.

The big one for me was demons. So many people I know had experiences with them. I've never personally had any, but there have been many nights where I lay awake in a cold sweat, praying for my safety. The JW paranoia machine is quite effective on children ("don't by that KISS record or the demons will beat you in your sleep!").

Another one I always laughed at: My mother believes, honest to God, that people think with their literal, physical hearts. It's okay, read it again if you have to. According to her, emotions don't come from the brain, all of our thought processes are controlled by the heart and the brain has no function.

• free2think
    free2think

I was told a number of stories about demons, that people had got second hand books and things like that and when they woke in the morning they felt like there was a weight holdingthem down and they couldnt get up. Needless to say I prayed hard that the demons wouldn't come and get me.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    According to her, emotions don't come from the brain, all of our thought processes are controlled by the heart and the brain has no function.

Well, you don't get any more brainwashed than that.

My mom was very superstitous. Smurfs were bad. The radio was wordly. Anything modern was wordly. Never ever get anything second hand from a thrift store or garage sale. demons are everywhere, apparantly so is god

• Kudra
    Kudra

We had a friend of the family that kept getting pinpricked at night... (I can't remember if she was getting the pain form the pinpricks or actually waking up with little bloody dots)

Anyway it went on for a while and then they finally noticed that the wooden carved bed frame that they had just purchased FROM A SECOND HAND STORE has little men with spears carved all over it...

Mm hm.

-K

• White Dove
    White Dove

Some JW bought a table from a garage sale and immediately started having problems: $, health, job problems. Later, they realized it may have come from demons, so they went back to the garage sale place and asked about the table they bought there. They were told that seances were conducted right on that table. Well, they got rid of the table right away and whaddayano, NO MORE PROBLEMS! Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Because the problems were such normal ones and usually started by one's self, I thought they were the result of poor planning and flu season. I was a JW when I kinda doubted the story.

• undercover
    undercover

I've heard a bunch of demon superstitions. Like the demons can't read your mind except during certain periods of sleep.

That's why some people felt like they were being attacked by demons at night when actually it was a thing called "night terrors". I had this happen several times while I was a JW. I would awake with a heavy presence on my chest, unable to move or speak. I would muster up all my strength to try to shout "Jehovah" only to have it come out garbled and incomprehensible.

Only after becoming inactive did I learn what this phenomenom was. What was sad was that I knew other dubs that had experienced the same thing. They went through record collections, books, movies, throwing out anything that might cause a demon attack, only to have it occur again later. I knew one sister who went to the elders and the elders went through every single possesion of hers to see what could be the problem. I bet they got a chubby when they went through her undies.

Interestingly, since I've become inactive and left the superstitious world of all religion, I have not had a problem with this anymore.

• ninja
    ninja

yep happened to me too...dem damned demons....I used to have a twelve pack of beer in my fridge at night....next morning I would look and it would be gone....not only that but I would have missing time when I wouldn't remember a thing for hours....and they used to give me a sore head every morning.....I've always had a problem with spirits.....hic...burp.....muhahahaha....da ninja

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi B_Deserter,

Your mother believes that the heart is a thinking organ because that is what the Watch Tower Society taught for years. The ancient Israelites believed this too, but like everything they believed it came originally from Pagan (GASP!) cultures which greatly influenced, for most of Israel's history, the tiny, powerless, oft-conquered, and wholly unoriginal Israelites. The Egyptians had a huge influence over the region and they were the source of much of the Jewish religion/culture including the incorrect belief that the heart was the thinking organ, others include circumcision, dietary restrictions, the concept of monotheism.

The fear of demons is another idiotic belief encouraged by the Watch Tower Society. I now laugh to myself when I think that super powerful and intelligent spirit beings second only to Jehoover Himself have nothing better to do than hang out in old clothes and furniture just waiting to "demonize" and frighten JWs. Pure nonsense. I can't believe I used to fall for this stupidity.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I have a friend who's Father always told her that all MEN are missing one rib because God took a rib from Adam to make Eve.....she believed that until she was 30 years old. But then again she believed the streets of NYC were paved with gold.....she was from the Dominican Republic.

I am NOT Joking

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    yep happened to me too...dem damned demons....I used to have a twelve pack of beer in my fridge at night....next morning I would look and it would be gone....not only that but I would have missing time when I wouldn't remember a thing for hours....and they used to give me a sore head every morning.....I've always had a problem with spirits.....hic...burp.....muhahahaha....da ninja

It's worth logging onto JWD just for DA NINJA

I believe that the 'net expression is ROFL LMFAO ! I sit here with my glass of brandy and wonder if the same thing will happen to me ! Could it be that all these ideas about demons in secondhand books MIGHT have something to do with the GB not wanting people to buy old literature written by the society ????? AO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit