Ridiculous JW superstitions

by B_Deserter 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Threestars
    Threestars

My inactive (for years now) JW sister just called me all scared because her hubby bought some of those rip-off get rich quick CDs...and the lady on the CD tells everyone that an "entity" named Seth divulged this how-to-get-rich info to her.

My sister asks ME (!!!) if she should be concerned over demons. (And I'm supposed to be the big nasty evildoer in the family)

I told her she should be more concerned over losing their hard-earned money in a scam and that hubby should quit watching those late-night infomercials.

My Dad used to always tell me as I was growing up that "life" came from the man and that the woman's role in reproduction was nothing more than an incubator. I do think the WT taught this as fact at one time and some of them still believe it. Anybody ever hear of this?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think JWs actually fear demons more than jehovah. At least the ones I remember always did. Anything that went wrong was blamed on demons - how superstitious can you get? They are the biggest believers in the occult, even though they say they want nothing to do with it. I play around with the tarot cards, but I don't believe that any kind of spirit is manipulating the cards and I'm not afraid to have them in my house. There aren't any evil spirits as far as I know, or good ones either. But there really are some screwed up people!

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Not only demonic intervention, but angelic as well, has passed into the mindset of WT mythology. Several tales, spiced by embellishments, were making the rounds in WT congregations back in the 70s when I was in.

I recall this particular incident, concerning a dear old thing, who was friend of a friend, of a friend of the narrator, and who was on the door-to-door service, when the door she eventually called on had this rather grim and grizzly man who, disheveled in appearance, had hidden his right hand behind him. He had evidently just killed his wife, and was departing when he answered the door. His initial impulse was to lash out with his knife and silence any potential witness [if you pardon the pun] to his dastardly deed. But he was thwarted because he swore he saw, standing beside this dear old thing, a personage of such shining demeanor and gait, that he collapsed and confessed. The elders were quickly summoned and the grateful police acknowledged the sterling job rendered by said dear old thing. I am not sure how the story ended, but variations saw the copper either converted to the WT cause, or the murderer himself, while in incarceration, becoming one.

Cheers

• brinjen
    brinjen

I heard of Madonna posters being possesed, the crucifixes she was wearing in the picture glowing, the posters falling off the wall and going back up the next day. Never happened to me.... A sister who bought a book mark from a christian book shop and was tormented by demons until she threw it away at the KH.

I recall this particular incident, concerning a dear old thing, who was friend of a friend, of a friend of the narrator, and who was on the door-to-door service, when the door she eventually called on had this rather grim and grizzly man who, disheveled in appearance, had hidden his right hand behind him. He had evidently just killed his wife, and was departing when he answered the door. His initial impulse was to lash out with his knife and silence any potential witness [if you pardon the pun] to his dastardly deed. But he was thwarted because he swore he saw, standing beside this dear old thing, a personage of such shining demeanor and gait, that he collapsed and confessed. The elders were quickly summoned and the grateful police acknowledged the sterling job rendered by said dear old thing. I am not sure how the story ended, but variations saw the copper either converted to the WT cause, or the murderer himself, while in incarceration, becoming one.

Heard that one too. The version I heard was the killer converted while in prison.

I also remember hearing of some dubs out country witnessing, they were on they're way to a house when the car broke down on some train tracks and refused to start. Train was coming when they felt their car being lifted up off the tracks and carried to safety. They got to witness to the poor householder after all. Whether that was demons or angels I'll leave to your interpretation

• Gopher
    Gopher

If something unexpectedly good happens in your life

superstion # 1 -- Jehovah is blessing you, and you should recognize that and do more in his service

supersition # 2 - Satan is trying to fool you with this good thing, you should recognize that and ignore the good turn of events, and keep increasing your service to Jehovah

If something unexpectedly bad happens in your life

superstition # 1 - Jehovah let this happen to you for a test. You should recognize that and do more in his service

superstition # 2 - Satan brought this onto you because he recognizes that you are spiritually low. You should fix your spiritual weakness by studying more and doing more in God's service

If nothing unusually good or bad is happening in your life

superstition # 1 - Jehovah is giving you a period of peace. You should be glad for that and respond by doing more in his service

superstition # 2- Satan is trying to lull you into a spiritual sleep. You should be aware of feeling too good about it , and remember that doing more in God's service will help keep things calm in your life

• brinjen
    brinjen

Gopher....LMFAO ... You summed it up perfectly!

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Nr. 1 superstition: Jehovah would never allow anyone to call their child (or pet) his name (Jehovah). If anyone would dare do this, they would die (on the spot).

It`s true, I heard it from my grandmother...so it`s an old one. It came up when I asked her why it was ok that people named their son Jesus (f.ex. in south america), but not "Jehovah". I was 11 or 12 at the time. So I got this explanation. Now I`m thinking, that if I ever get a dog, I`ll call him "Jehovah". Or maybe Satan, I haven`t decided yet...

• barbar
    barbar

I mean this seriously. Are you saying that women and men have the same number of ribs? I really thought (because I was told that and just took it for granted) that either men or women had one less. Barbar

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

2) Superstition: The husband of one of the "sisters" in the congregation, was not a jw. And, he had been in Africa in his youth, and had brought back African masks, and he insisted on having them hanging on the wall in the livingroom. They were of course demon-posessed. In fact, they were so demon-posessed that one hot summer day, when the "sister" came back from the grocery store, an egg popped out of the egg-carton, and started frying on the kitchen table, all by itself.

Whether the demon also cooked up some bacons to go with that, the story does not say.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

3) Superstition: You can actually be attacked by demons while in bed at night. But if they attack you, yell as loud as you can; "Jehovaaaaahhh", and the demons will run away, cause they are afraid of his name, ha ha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit