Moving

by Xena 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Congrats Xena on the marriage and the move.

I have items stored in a storage building, and so does my wife. She is using the 'controlled environment' storage (which just means that it is indoors, whereas mine is accessible from outside).

I would recommend paying the extra bucks for the controlled storage (which you probably planned to do), as it will be better for long-term storage of items that you are wanting to keep nice (antiques).

Also, purchase the insurance - if you have anything that you value (antiques). There has been more than one break-in at the storage units where we have our items stored. The insurance will help out if anything is broken or stolen.

The stuff that you are thinking is 'junk'... have a weekend yard sale. Price everything reasonable - it'll sell. You'll have extra change for the trip. (What you may think is junk, someone else may think is treasure).

Of course, you probably already knew this.

Good Luck with your move.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think I would tend to just take the necessities, all my clothes, and precious mementos, things you can't live without. Buy the rest.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

How exciting!!! We sure will miss you in Texas, Mrs. Xena/Little Toe, but you are off to start the next great adventure of your life. I think you will love Scotland.

Lots of hugs,

Nina

• Carmel
    Carmel

Good on the both of you! Being half Scotch, I've always wanted to visit to see what it was like...but alas, not this year.. We're selling out and moving also but only across town to one of our rentals. Downsizing is fun huh? We've only been here for six years but it seems we have decades of junk collected. Good chance to get rid of a lot a crap!! Have a great move and wonderful future you two!!! carmel

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'm moving and downsizing now too. One of the best tips for me was to ask how long it's been since I've used an item. I had a bunch of stuff that I used once xx years ago, and haven't used since. That stuff has been donated to charity.

Beyond some of the other tips you got, one thing that helped me was to realize I didn't need to keep financial records older 7 years. I bought a heavy duty shredder at Staples (Mail Mate) which is fairly small and have been shredding 15 years worth of stuff. Just finished this morning.

I wish someone had suggestions for books, they are my weakness. Though it was easy to get rid of the WTS pubs - wonder why that is? ;-)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I see that any of my tips for moving have been mentioned! So I will just wish you well on your big move and on your wonderful marriage!

I can't even imagine how exciting it would be to move to Scotland!

MUCH Love to you both,

hugs,

Annie

• greendawn
    greendawn

Crumpet you enjoy moving houses around a lot, most people would find that too unsettling, moving a couple of times is bad enough.

Xena, Juni already gave you good tips for me labelling the boxes correctly so that their contents will be immediately obvious is the most helpful tip. Also mixing light and heavy objects in a box to keep its weight within reasonable limits and wrapping fragile things in the cloths or towels that are part of the cargo. And if the boxes are made of carton make sure they are sealed where they close with plenty of tape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit