Moving

by Xena 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Our settlement visas came thru and we have booked our flights for July 16th so it's official that we are moving to Scotland.

I've already got a few boxes of confort goods (stuffed animals, photo albums and DVD's) packed and are now fixing to tear each room apart and sort it by what I want to take, store or sell. It's a bit daunting. Crazy how much stuff you accumulate in your life.

Any suggestions regarding moving and packing are more than welcome.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Simplify! Simplify! Simplify! Now where have I heard that before? Never mind.

I'm excited for you. I would love to do something like that. Good luck!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sounds exciting. I havn't moved in 20 years, so I am not of much help. I do wish you both the best, though. Are you from Scotland? Why did you choose to move there?

If I am not getting too nosy here.

• Xena
    Xena

I'm done with my bathroom and I have an entire trash bag full of that stuff in your cabinets and under your counter you might need one of these days but don't ever actually use...

Simplify isn't such a bad thing, we used to move a lot when I was younger and I found it very cleansing. During the short spurts where I feel motivated I'm actually enjoying this.

• juni
    juni

That's great about your visas Xena!

What would I recommend about moving?

BE SURE AND LABEL ALL THE BOXES - For Example:

KITCHEN STUFF: and then list what is in that particular box. I know it's time consuming, but it really helps when you want to find something later.

Also, don't use newspaper to wrap up good dishes. The ink comes off onto them.

Ask grocery stores to save boxes for you. Or.....go dumpster diving at McDonald's or other fast foods. They have beautiful clean boxes that packages of fries have been shipped in.

Use a packaging tape to securely close boxes.

Do you know what wood pallets are? You usually can get them for free.... great for storing boxes on so they aren't sitting on concrete floors in case there's any moisture.

I wouldn't recommend storing appliances in storage. Why? Even covered they make wonderful beds for wildlife.

If you store a refridgerator, leave the doors ajar to prevent mold. Be sure and give it a good bleach wash before storing.

Storing clothes? Keep moth balls enclosed w/them to prevent insect/rodent damage.

I've learned the hard way during my many moves.

Hugs, Juni

• Xena
    Xena
    Are you from Scotland? Why did you choose to move there?

I'm from Texas and I married another poster from this board who is from Scotland. I'm moving there to be with him.

...or I would be if it weren't for ninja scaring me with the wicker man, eh ninja?

• juni
    juni

I forgot.....ninja's in Scotland, ey? You poor thing........... LOL

• Xena
    Xena

Thanks for the tips juni. I didn't know about the newspaper or the mothballs.

I'm pretty much having to strip it all down to 7 boxes to ship and one 10 x 10 storage space. I have some antiques I inherited from my parents I want to keep so they will take up the bulk of the space in the storage unit. None of my applicances will work there so I'm selling them. It's tough to condense your life down this much though.

Makes you think about what's really important to you.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good luck to the both of you Xena.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Congrulations, Xena. When I was a child I was fascinated with Scotland and its culture. Turned out Dad's people immigrated from there. I bet winters will be cold, but then you have a handsome Scotsman to see to that, keeping your safe and warm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit