'..simply for a contribution to cover the printing cost of the magazines...

by Gill 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gill
    Gill

Do you remember when we used to ask for a 'contribution that covers the printing cost' for the mags?

Was that ever the real cost of printing the mags? Afterall, we had to pay for the wretched things when we collected them, so was the WT Society already making a profit from us foolish sheep which we then tried to recoup from the unsuspecting public.

Were we conned? Were we robbed? Were we given false information? Can we ask for a refund?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Do you remember when we used to ask for a 'contribution that covers the printing cost' for the mags?

I remember it only too well

Was that ever the real cost of printing the mags? Afterall, we had to pay for the wretched things when we collected them, so was the WT Society already making a profit from us foolish sheep which we then tried to recoup from the unsuspecting public.

The real cost was and still is a fraction of what we paid for them The watchtower obviously made a huge profit, a testament to the cash value of making prophecies I suppose, even though they all failed

• Were we conned? yes
    • Were we robbed? definitely, especially after the literature became "free"
    • Were we given false information? Everything printed by the watchtower is false information
    • Can we ask for a refund? It would be interesting to try, but we all know what the answer would be lol
  • Gill
    Gill

Linda - If I were ever to win the lottery I would consider it worth a try to recoup the loses from that false piece of advertising.......printing cost only!!!

Wouldn't that be fun? I would of course aim to get a refund for everyone....so, have you kept your receipts or do you remember how many mags you had to fork out for??

• blondie
    blondie

There was a time when the "publishers" and the "pioneers" paid a lower price for the literature than the public. The idea was that they would use it to "defray" gas costs and wear and tear on the shoe leather.

But they dropped that for the publishers then the pioneers. Pioneers used to pay 5 cents for the Truth book and offered it to the public for 25 cents. What is that 400% profit? But they stopped that too.

I gave them away more than not. I figured what was everlasting life compared to 25 cents.

Blondie

(Randy Watters should know how much they cost to produce)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    have you kept your receipts or do you remember how many mags you had to fork out for??

I'm afraid not, but it was a lot. I didn't count them, but there must have been a few thousand watchtowers and awakes on the bonfire I had last year to get rid of my literature!

• blondie
    blondie

I remember the term, "pioneer rate."

*** km 4/88 p. 3 Question Box ***

Should pioneers obtain literature for family members at pioneer rates?It is good to keep in mind why the Society makes it possible for pioneers to obtain literature at a reduced cost. This is a loving provision of the Society, at its expense, to help pioneers defray some of their expenses.

Accordingly, all publishers who are members of a pioneer’s household and who are not pioneers, whether children or adults, should obtain their literature and magazines for field service at the regular publisher rates.

km9/88p.4Announcements***

The following literature price adjustments are effective September 1, 1988. Please note that for some items only the pioneer rate or only the public rate is affected. Each new price is indicated by an asterisk (*).

Cong.and

Item

Pio. then Public

American

Standard Version and King JamesVersion $ 2.50* $ 3.50*

Byington

6.00* 10.00*

Diaglott

and

Kingdom

Interlinear 2.50* 3.50

New

WorldTranslation (1984 Edition only) Regular edition 3.00* 4.00*

Deluxe and Pocket editions 4.50* 7.00

Reference Bible 6.00 10.00*

Large print

Individual volumes 5.50* 7.00*

Set 22.00* 28.00*

Aid

6.00 10.00*

"All

Scripture" 2.00* 3.00*

Bible

Stories

Regular edition 2.00* 3.00*

Small size (Spanish only) .75* 1.50*

Concordance

5.00 7.00*

Creation

and LiveForever

Small size .75* 1.50*

Index

(1930-85) 5.00* 7.00

Reasoning

1.00* 1.50*

Songbook

• Gill
    Gill

Linda! That must have been one hell of a bonfire!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Also to defray the cost of protecting pedophiles within the organization and taking down all the information that embarrasses them. See, they need all the money to keep the illusion of being a perfect organization and forcing that illusion on people. It costs money to squash anyone who puts out a book or an Internet blog--ultimately, they want everyone to put pro-JW blogs on every forum, with harsh penalties for anyone that is not 100% pro-JW. And they fought for their own freedom of speech.

I can only hope that one of their victims becomes a member of the Supreme Court and reverses all those decisions for the Tower. Then I hope they start losing every complaint even when someone blatantly posts all the copyrighted Watchtower material on the grounds of having intended it for public distribution or because the Kool-Aid edition of the Craptower is essential for people to make a proper decision about joining. And then I hope they start losing every single pedophile suit, just as Nigeria needs massive financial assistance. Besides paying that balloon, I hope they get hit with another balloon as all the news magazines publish all their attempts to squash the truth. That ought to be funny to see 100 million of them sitting in the doctors and dentists waiting areas for months and months.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

When I stopped going to the meetings I was 18, and I remember the rags being sold for I think 25cents for the two??? 24 years ago give or take a few

It's been a long time so I don't remember, I sure don't remember them being free, when did that happen?? I do remember throwing most of them in the trash so my parents would think I was placing selling them.

nj

• TopHat
    TopHat

The WTS had us all conned...it didn't concern them if the mags were thrown in the trash or layed around in a corner of your home for 20 years...The mags were paid for by you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit