Intelligence of Witness Material

by choosing life 37 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

When I started attending the meetings, I was in college. I would use any excuse I could to get out of the Watchtower study. I couldn't believe they wanted me to read the article at home and underline the answers and then I had to sit and listen to them read it aloud again and give the same exact answers they underlined in the magazine. I felt like I was in kindergarden again.

Did the meetings with all their repetitiveness annoy you?

What grade level do you think the Witnesses are operating at? It seems to me it has been declining over the years.

Did you notice the dumbing down effect of the organisation?

• R.F.
    R.F.

There has been some serious dumbing down in the WTS.

I can't believe that I use to just eat this stuff up. Now too there has been a recent letter to BOEs telling them to stick very closely to the WT article, not bringing other material in. This is yet another way that will make the WT study even more dreadful, sucking out any possible enthusiasm to add.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think I would learn more by studying Highlights for Children.

Seriously.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Yeah it was retarded to me. I would "study" my WT in my bedroom underlining and skimming for about 5 minutes. Then open my bible on the bed to a strategic scripture and read a novel. If I heard someone coming I would tuck the novel underneath the quilt on the bottom of my bed and look like I was reading the scripture. I'd wait 45 minutes to an hour and then come out and watch tv.

• 5go
    5go

I think I would learn more by studying Highlights for Children.

Seriously

I concur Doctor

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Not meaning to thread jack But, Sirnose good to see you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is called "Repetition for Emphasis" brother!!!

But yes - dumbing down is a frequent complaint in the dubby family who can remember the heavier stuff of the past. I used (when I was keen) to get beyond the article and delve into the Scriptures they cited . Of course the WT Conductors these days don't want any answers that are not text book

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

it was mind-numbingly makes me want to scream boring boring boring. So boring that to this day I cannot just sit still anywhere that reminds me of JW meetings - makes it really difficult to take classes for instance or go to the city council meetings or anywhere else where I will feel trapped and BOOOOORED.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    When I started attending the meetings, I was in college. I would use any excuse I could to get out of the Watchtower study. I couldn't believe they wanted me to read the article at home and underline the answers and then I had to sit and listen to them read it aloud again and give the same exact answers they underlined in the magazine. I felt like I was in kindergarden again.

This is one of the things I started observing in my children when they were younger. Once they learn something, they got it and so they were very bored at the WT study on Sundays if whe studied it as a family the night before. In fact it was torture for them--I could see it in their faces.

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

As far as the dumbing down effect, yes I noticed that years ago too. But this is not just happening among JWs.....there is a dumbing down of America as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit