Is throwing away scholarship $$s still...

by Trippin2962 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Trippin2962
    Trippin2962

wildly applauded at assemblies these days?

I haven't been to an assembly in years and wondered if this is still the case. I remember sitting and hearing a young person state that they declined a scholarship or university education to pursue "spiritual goals" and everyone would burst into applause. I always thought they were really stupid, so I would sit there with a smirk on my face and arms folded. Anybody here still attend assemblies that can answer this question?. I'm really curious.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

The last one I heard of was probablly 3 years ago. I'm sure throwing away scholarships is still very much in vogue for JWs.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I saw some notes from the recent district convention that one of the members here posted. It contained an experience of this guy that claimed to have earned a bachelor's degree but had to go back to school to get a certificate because his degree was useless. The moral is: college = waste of time; trade school = great career. It's one of the biggest distortions that comes out of these people's mouths. They take the exception and make it out to be the rule. Kind of like the people that say that you don't need to go to college because Bill Gates didn't go to college. The facts are that on average a person is likely to have better job prospects and earn more money with a college degree. Just because someone earns a degree in English or History and can’t find a job does not mean that college is worthless. What about the people (like me) that decided to do the 6 month to a year trade school bit because they feel they are following God's instructions by doing so and end up spending thousands of dollars for a worthless piece of paper. Where are those people giving their experiences at the convention? What about those guys that aren't cut out to work in dangerous trades?

A great part of those quick career schools are a fraud. You pay them thousands of dollars and you still can't find a job. I went in debt $9,000 to pay for my trade school and was unable to find work in that field. I got conned out of my money because I followed their advice. I wish I could get up on the stage and tell everyone that. Thankfully I wised up and went back to college to earn my bachelor's degree a few years later. Now I have a lot of career options and am able to earn good money without having to work in some dangerous trade. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think those stories are all lies anyway. Think about it: to get a scholarship offer, you have to apply. Why even apply if you're such a spiritual jw?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think those stories are all lies anyway. Think about it: to get a scholarship offer, you have to apply. Why even apply if you're such a spiritual jw? Lies and exagerations.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    I think those stories are all lies anyway. Think about it: to get a scholarship offer, you have to apply. Why even apply if you're such a spiritual jw?

Very astute observation. Here's my experience about that backs up that point:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/134957/2403396/post.ashx#2403396

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

The only good thing is this: for JWs to know that they'd turned a scholarship down, the person would have had to mention it, which means it was a big deal to them. They'll never forget that, and as the years go by it will be a decision that nags at them. If they ever experience something which makes them doubt that they're in the right place, one of their major memories will be of them being applauded for turning down a scholarship. They'll think about that every tedious morning they have to show up at their minimum-wage job, and that might eventually make them think it through.

Okay it's a long shot. I'm in a sunny-side mood today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit