Does God REALLY exist? (An Attempt at an Online Bible Study)

by theMartian 121 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• siegswife
    siegswife

I'm hoping that one day people evolve to the point where they have the clarity of mind to realize:

"Duh...for centuries now the majority of mankind have supported and allowed people who have no problem raping the planet of resources for their own material gain. People who don't give a rat's ass about the lives of "our" offspring. They who have no problem tampering with our planets resources regardless how it impacts the lives of the majority of people who live on this planet for their own selfish gain have been allowed to control what happens on this earth. This has to stop and these "unevolved" men should be pulled from the ivory towers we've allowed them to build on the sweat and blood of the repressed for generations."

When will reasonable men stand up and stop the mauraders and murderers from taking the lead among us? When will the majority of mankind "evolve" to the point of realizing we are allowing the future of our own offspring to be detrimentally affected in allowing the selfish few to control our lives and futures?

What is it in mankind that makes them so willing to sacrifice the quality of their own lives so that some others can have more than they need? Why has the common man allowed it to get to this point?

It seems to me that rather than evolving, mankind as a whole has been regressing (at least not evolving in intelligence) by allowing "the few" to grow in their ability to dominate the many and lead them on a path of self denial that puts them in a position where they are unable to ensure that their own children will live in a society where people are equally given the opportunity to feed their kids daily and live in peace.

What is it in humans that make them think other humans know what's best and deserve to control what happens on this planet even in the face of evidence that shows the results aren't good for us?

The lunatics have been in control of the asylum throughout history and the rest of us just smile and treat them like they're the doctors. When will we evolve beyond this insanity?

Lea

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

timetochange:

Evolution starts out with a premise and proceeds to find evidence that appears to prove that premise while dismissing that which does not.

False.

This would be a good place to start for anyone ignorant of the facts of evolution. http://www.talkorigins.org/

• timetochange
    timetochange

I'm not for an either/or view of things. As I said, imo, there is a missing element in the story of how life came to be on earth, not to mention matter itself. To try and hold up Evolution as the complete answer to all questions regarding the origination of things is imo too simplistic. Also, it must be remembered that the same species who brought us religion is also the one who today claims to have knowledge of how the universe itself came into existence! One claims to have secret knowlege of God the other secret knowledge of the origins of the universe! I think it's safe to say neither knows the whole truth of things. I also think a little humility on both sides wouldn't be a bad idea either.

J Harlen Bretz's life is a good example of the intransigent nature of scientific thought at times. Below is a quote from the cover of CATACLYSMS ON THE COLUMBIA by Allen and Burns:

"...J Harlen Bretz a remarkable geologist who defied the scientific orthodoxy of his day and argued that sudden floods of almost unimaginable force rather than the slow, uniform processes of erosion had created the scablands of eastern Washington. Bretz lived to the great age of 98 and in his later years he had the satisfaction of seeing his theories vindicated."

In the early 20th century geologists were convinced that the scablands were the result of slow erosion and were firmly entrenched against any idea of a mass flood since that was too close to the Biblical model something they wanted to stay as far away from as they could. It took them almost 50 years to recognize that Bretz was right. On page 54 of this same book is this:

"Think of these men of science working so hard to make sure that Bretz's concepts could not be true! Were they any different from the early Catastrophists who fought for what they literally believed was a God-given reality? Bretz's opponents saw only what they had resolved to see. They were prime examples of the geological quip, 'I wouldn't have seen it, if I hadn't believed it.' Like members of a faith whose existence is threatened when one small variant is thrown in the system, so these men seemed to feel the entire discipline of geology, and all it stood for, would be sent crashing if Bretz's reinterperetation of Catastrophism were given serious consideration."

From the cover of another book on the same subject GLACIAL LAKE MISSOULA AND ITS HUMONGOUS FLOODS by David Alt:

"This is also the story of geologists grappling with scientific controversy- 'of how personalities, pride, and prejudice sometimes supersede scientific evidence.'"

Scientists do not always have the inclination or ability to see what they prefer not to see just as many religious fundamentalists also see only what they want and dismiss what they don't want to hear or examine.

The Talk Origins site is very interesting but just like anything promoting a cause or view it should be read critically not swallowed whole without some private ruminations and research. I agree with some things there and disagree with others. The FAQ is particularly noteworthy: http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html

Another point of view which can be considered is that of Sir John Houghton:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/faithandreason/portraits_houghton.html

"As a committed evangelical Christian and the author of DOES GOD PLAY DICE?: A LOOK AT THE STORY OF THE UNIVERSE (1988) and THE SEARCH FOR GOD: CAN SCIENCE HELP? (1995), Houghton has often voiced the belief that science and religion, rather than being opposing forces, actually complement one another - an idea that has rankled many conservative and fundamentalist religious groups."

http://www.newstatesman.com/200605150065

"The Chirstian faith means a lot to me. I believe in God as creator and sustainer of the universe. He has given us the ability to understand creation and to find out about it in order to be creative within it. The first instruction in the Bible is that we are put on the earth to look after it, not to do what we please, but to take care of it on behalf of God. As scientiests we work with an open mind to see how [creation] works and describe what might be occurring. We do that without assuming any prior ideology or belief other than absolute honesty and integrity.

"As Christians we are told to love our neighbour, whether he's in the UK or the Congo. This is not only a Christian idea, of course.

"All of us in the rich world have benefited enormously from fossil-fuel burning on the cheap. This is having a terrible impact on the planet, which will fall disproportionately on the poorest nations and, within those nations, on the very poorest people. There is an enormous moral imperative to try and right that wrong as far as we can. This should be obvious not just to people of faith, but to anyone with a social conscience."

Houghton presents another view, another opinion. I don't think any honest opinion should be automatically discounted merely because it does not fit a standard model of belief whether evolutionary or religious. Isn't it foolish to say "we know!" when we are really so small so lacking in knowledge of so very much both of God and the Universe?

• AlanF
    AlanF

timetochange wrote:

:: Your comments bring up something that I think is very important to religious people -- the desire to have some sort of "higher purpose" in life. . .

: A higher purpose in life? Of course, but seeking a higher purpose is not limited to religious people. Why are you here, AlanF? Isn't it to do some good to help people see the fallacies of the Watchtower and in your opinion of religion itself? You could easily just go about your life spending all your time on yourself and your family but you sacrifice your time to help others or to expose liars. That is a noble thing and a higher purpose, imo.

I suppose one can call such activities a higher purpose, but as far as I'm concerned such things are no different from what most people do every day -- helping others in whatever way they can or want. I hold a door open for an old man; I help my kids with their homework; I stop to help a woman injured in a car crash. But 95% of people do these things all the time.

Such common things are simply part of human culture, and almost certainly human nature. But we see the same sort of concern for other members of the species in many other species. The evolution of altruism is not a solved problem, but plenty has been written on it. I'll leave it up to you to look into the subject.

: I know that's probably not exactly what you were getting at but I'll respond more directly in minute.

: I believe most people are at heart good and if given the chance would certainly live a life which brought themselves and others some joy, some good.

I agree.

: Of course mankind has a higher purpose than just to reproduce that goes without saying. We have the capacity to do great and wonderful things beyond childbearing. We create in a myriad of ways, we are for all purposes gods on this planet and we have the capacity to enrich or to destroy it.

But none of these things involve anything that I would call "higher purpose". What, exactly, do we "create"? We create useful items and items that satisfy our sense of beauty. Humans have created useful things all through their long history, and the reason for doing so is completely utilitarian -- nothing particularly "high" about that. Where a sense of beauty came from is not known, but then, that's not exactly relevant in a debate about Christian theism versus atheism unless one can explain where God's sense of beauty came from.

: As for the animals, they have been exploited and many are forced to life miserable lives. They too have a nobler purpose than to merely feed us or enrich multi-national corporations.

What is that purpose, in your opinion?

: I believe our great capacity to reason, to love, to have compassion, to produce beauty in art, music and architecture, to grow emotionally and mentally, to be what we are, the most powerful and intelligent beings on earth cannot be explained merely by the process of evolution alone. There is a missing piece, a missing element in all this and I believe that missing factor is a Creator.

The question in my mind is, Why do you believe this? Most Christians are Christians because and only because they were exposed to the teachings and culture of Christianity from the time they were small children. A few converted later in life, but experience bears out that most of these people do so for emotional, not strictly rational reasons. Which type are you? Most people who are raised in a religious environment stick with the religion they were taught as children, and do so not for rational reasons but for the same reasons that all manner of groups, including and especially political groups such as tribes and nations, do so. A person raised as a strict Muslim who in another life might have been raised as a strict Christian would most likely stick with the religion of his childhood for exactly the same reasons -- his beliefs were formed early and he is emotionally unwilling to change them.

Taking a little side jaunt, you answered LtCmd.Lore's question:

:: But what is the true reason for our existence if god DOES exist? ("Be fruitfull, become many and fill the earth" comes to mind... what's the difference.)

: To live a life which puts our mental and physical abilities (which by far surpass all animals on earth) to good use either towards the earth or towards our fellowman. To use our reasoning abilities, to acquire insight about ourselves and why we act as we do. To do good.

While your answer is consistent with your comments to me, your sentiments still don't answer why any of these things constitute some sort of "higher purpose".

: And since I believe that in order to be able to give intelligence this missing element must himself possess intelligence he must then logically also have a purpose just as intelligent human inventors and artistic creators have purpose.

While this is a logical conclusion from your basic belief in a Creator, it doesn't prove anything.

: Though at present God's purpose may not be clearly understood by many

I would call that a gross understatement.

: that does not in itself prove he has no purpose and just as human creators can form an emotional attachment to what they have created and would want it preserved, so too God can have an emotional attachment, a love, for his creation and want it preserved. If we have a higher purpose it is to reach our full potential as our Creator would have us do and wants us to do. God's purpose must logically be one which when reached will justify all the work put into it otherwise his purpose will be out of balance with the end result and illogical. A violation of the natural laws around us.

Once again, this sentimental outpouring illustrates nothing but your own belief system.

: Yes, there is a higher purpose one which reason dictates must exist IF a Creator exists. But that's a big IF for many here, I understand that.

What you've basically said is that you believe there is some higher purpose for mankind that comes from God, but you have no idea what it is.

:: I think that most Christians would answer the question, "What is the purpose of life?" with something like, "To worship, love and honor God." But then, what's the use of that? Other than showing such emotions, such people still do exactly the same thing as people who don't show them do: eat, sleep, reproduce. Can you really give a good answer to the question of why worshiping God is somehow better than just producing children? Please note that to properly answer this, you have to define what you mean by notions like "better".

: I don't think that worshipping God is "better" than producing children. My point was that producing children is the bottom line of evolution

But you're wrong. Altruism is very much a part of evolution by natural selection. There are also many human abilities that scientists are only beginning to understand, much less understand how they came to be. But again, this is no argument for God unless you can tell us how God himself acquired such abilities. I'm sure you understand very well that merely claiming that God always had them is no answer at all, it's just special pleading.

: but the reality is that people have the capacity to do so many beautiful and powerful things beyond simply having children in order to keep the species going. How does the theory of evolution explain that? A belief in a Creator is better able to explain why man is the way he is than evolution. By "better" I mean more complete, less loose ends, simpler, more in tune with logic.

Not at all. Belief in a Creator merely puts the question of the origin of man's abilities back one step. It puts it in the realm of "we don't know", because the real answer about where God got his abilities is, "we don't know". So those you call "evolutionists" and Christians are in the same boat.

: Some feel to honor God they should go to church or preach the Gospel etc., that's all fine but I believe all one needs to do to honor and worship God is to do right by his fellow and by the earth.

But simply doing those things is, I think most agree, something that any decent person ought to do. I try to do them, and I'm a strong agnostic. I certainly don't believe in the Christian God. I have no need for any god to tell me that these are good things to do.

Many Christians pose a question similar to yours: "How can you act morally without God to give you moral standards?" The idea seems to be that, without belief in God, people must be fundamentally amoral and so have no incentive not to commit all manner of atrocities. The converse question, though, is a real stumper and shows why that question is self-defeating: "Are you telling me that without God to tell you not to commit all manner of actrocities, you would?" It's a stumper because answering Yes or No gets them into hot water. "Yes" means that they know they're a scumbag; "No" means that their question is bogus.

The last several weeks saw a couple of Fundamentalists trying to argue along these lines. One poster, Perry, posed a challenge something like this: "What prevents you atheists from torturing and killing babies for fun if you thought it would be of advantage to you?" I turned it around on him and asked something like this: "If your God told you that torturing and killing babies for fun pleased him and that he wanted you to do it, would you?" Perry had the good sense not to answer, but the other poster, Vinny, eventually answered Yes. He actually explained that, even though he wouldn't like it, he would torture babies if God told him to. But he refused to deal with my complete question: "Would you torture babies for fun?" He really couldn't answer in the affirmative, since to do so would mean that he'd have to convince himself, against his nature, that such torture was "fun". This is the sort of conundrum that insisting that God must be the source of human morality creates.

: If the day should come when a man's future hopes for life depended on his knowing God then God would make himself known to him.

I suppose, then, that people like me might have some hope.

: For now it is not, for now all we are are fellow travelers trying to make sense of things. To me, the symbiosis, beauty, majesty and complexity and simplicity of life on earth leads to the conclusion that we are not alone, to me this makes sense.

That's fine, but such sentiments are no good to people who want to live their lives based on actual evidence. Really, the only things you've given as evidence in favor of belief in God are your sentiments.

Now I want to add my two cents to your reply to LtCmd.Lore:

: To live a life which puts our mental and physical abilities (which by far surpass all animals on earth) to good use either towards the earth or towards our fellowman. To use our reasoning abilities, to acquire insight about ourselves and why we act as we do. To do good. Evolution has nothing to do with these things, the doing of good is not necessary to the survival of the species on the contrary to give a young life for an old man or woman who are no longer able to reproduce or to help an infant born with a genetic defect are actions which do not serve the bottom line purpose of evolution: the survival of the species and/or the fittest. Mankind does not fit the evolutionary model, we act in ways that are contrary to the very process many claim gave rise to life on earth. Not good. ;)

This shows that you have no understanding whatsoever of evolution. Unfortunately, I think that your exposure to evolution has been almost exclusively through the writings of Christian apologists who themselves either have no understanding, or even deliberately misrepresent what they do know.

But I've been there. Having grown up as a JW, until I really looked into the subject for myself, almost everything I "knew" came from Watchtower publications. As I learned more, I found out how grossly misled I had been.

A quick primer for you: Strictly speaking, evolution has nothing to do with the origins of the universe or the origin of life. Evolution has only to do with how life, once it existed, changed over time. The fact that you lump all these things together shows that you have not studied the subject sufficiently to know what you're talking about. Given that, the evolution of life is extremely well documented in the fossil record. Contrary to what creationists of various stripes claim, there exist hundreds of examples of transitional forms. This evolution of forms of life is shown, not just in the pattern of evolution shown in the fossil record, but its timing. In the beginning, there were microscopic life forms. About 640 million years ago, there appeared macroscopic life with soft bodies. A hundred million years later there began to appear a profusion of macroscopic forms with hard bodies (the so-called "Cambrian explosion" which actually lasted about 30 million years, nearly half the time from the extinction of the dinosaurs to our time). The fossil record documents the evolution of these into various new forms, right through our day.

The above brief sketch is as well documented as anything in science can be. Arguing against it puts you into the camp of the irrational Fundamentalists. What a Christian can rationally argue is whether this evolution was caused by God. But we'll leave that for another post.

As for your comments above, once again, do some research on how altruism and evolution fit together. You'll get some surprises.

: Ironically, a scientist can one day tout the factualness of evolution and the next promote the development of a vaccine for bird flu, yet evolution would require that no vaccine be given in order that only those who have the strongest immune system go on to produce a population resistant to bird flu. When it comes to belief in evolution most scientists in the medical field have faith but no works. They in fact work against their evolutionary beliefs. Their actions are more in line with the doing of good from a moral standpoint and not their evolutionary theory. But what role does morality play in the evolution of the fittest?

In social species such as humans, monkeys, some birds and lots of others, altruism is observed. Morality doesn't play any part in the altruism of non-hominids, so far as we know, and how much our cultural notions of morality play a part in hominid morality is not very well known. So for you to make statements as if you really know is simply a product of your culture -- a Christian one.

AlanF

• Terry
    Terry

Think about this.

Go way back...far far back in history.

Go back before the Internet. Go back farther.

Go back before newspapers, TV and radio.

Go waaaaay back before there was public education.

Return to a time when there were no Universities or libraries.

Go even farther back in time and return to when it was thousands of years before any Modern era.

People got their ideas from their families and neighbors PERIOD!

Everything was rumor. Everything was imagination, guesswork and superstitious reasoning.

How far back are you now? You are back to a point when you cannot PROVE anything. The person with the outrageous story, fable, idea or concept is the communicator of the MYSTICAL SENSE of how the world works.

Your local shaman, priest, rabbi, prophet, sage or witch doctor is your ONE SOURCE of "information" about the UNseen world.

There, my friends, THERE IS WHERE YOU'LL FIND GOD!

As mankind began finding a way to PROVE assertions God began to grow smaller and smaller.

As mankind invented logic, reasoning and science God shrank and grew fainter.

By the time Aristotle tutored Alexander the Great and Greece conquered the known world it was only THE GREEK PASSION FOR KNOWLEDGE that stood against the backward religious myths of indigenous peoples.

Suddenly, the God bubble popped very loudly! POP!

By the end of the Book of Malachi there is a deafening silence from "God".

By the time stories of Jesus circulated we have a wandering Rabbi filling the shoes of a latter day SOCRATES.

Jesus is a thinly disguised Socrates in his manner of teaching.

Pagan ideas, Platonic patterns and Gnostic speculations flavored the soup of Messianic passions.

But, GOD HAD VANISHED.

POP!

God has gone where the unicorns have gone and the fairies and minotaurs and demigods of old.

GOD was the best idea men could come up with before they really KNEW anything real.

God is invisible today and silent. Only hand puppets speak for him.

Believe at your own risk. The hand inside the puppet is reaching for your mind and your servitude.

Beware!!

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

One reason why religionists stick closely to creationism theory is because it brings them power and control

on the other side of the table evolution brings them absolutely nothing

so in a psychological sense which theory would most men rather use to empower themselves and which theory then would they rather debunk and destroy, the answer is obvious

Sorry to be so truthful and honest, I was born a JW

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

Read your comment Terry very well done I must say, I liked the way you chained things back wards to the history of human ignorance, thanks again enjoyed it

• gumby
    gumby
    "Are you telling me that without God to tell you not to commit all manner of actrocities, you would?" It's a stumper because answering Yes or No gets them into hot water. "Yes" means that they know they're a scumbag; "No" means that their question is bogus.

Don't know why this hit my funnybone but I just laughed my ass off when I read that line.

Gumby....of the non-scumbag class

Btw, listening to you two on this has been a treat and quite interesting.

• AlanF
    AlanF

timetochange wrote:

: As I said, imo, there is a missing element in the story of how life came to be on earth, not to mention matter itself.

That's trivially true, because everyone but diehard religionists acknowledges it.

: To try and hold up Evolution as the complete answer to all questions regarding the origination of things is imo too simplistic.

True, but you've raised up a straw man. First, as several posters have explained, your understanding of "Evolution" is thoroughly flawed, because it does not encompass the origin of the universe or of life. Those origins are separate questions.

: Also, it must be remembered that the same species who brought us religion is also the one who today claims to have knowledge of how the universe itself came into existence!

Show me a few scientists who make this claim.

On the other hand, I can show you any number of religionists who make this claim.

: One claims to have secret knowlege of God the other secret knowledge of the origins of the universe! I think it's safe to say neither knows the whole truth of things. I also think a little humility on both sides wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Most scientists these days are well aware that no one has anywhere near all the answers. The reason that most reject supernatural origins is simply that there is no positive evidence for it, and historical experience shows that the notion of a "God of the gaps" -- i.e., that God explains all gaps in scientific knowledge -- results in a continually shrinking role for God in the origin and evolution of anything.

: J Harlen Bretz's life is a good example of the intransigent nature of scientific thought at times. . .

Bretz's work is actually a very good example of how science works. In view of the culture of the times when he began his work (the Scopes "monkey trial" was fresh in the memories of secular scientists) it's understandable that his fellows would resist any notion that smacked of "biblical catastrophism". Therefore when Bretz and others presented sufficient evidence, other scientists changed their views. One geologist simply had to take an airplane ride over the Scablands of eastern Washington to be convinced. In other words, an evident demonstration of reality caused them to change their minds.

Contrast how science works with how religion works. Religion is not based on physical evidence. It's based on religious writings, whether modern or ancient. Those writings change only slowly, and usually not because of new physical evidence but because the keepers of the writings are forced to by circumstance. The most ancient, such as the Bible, change hardly at all. So for a religion based on an ancient set of writings such as the Bible, change comes only when circumstance dictates a changed interpretation. And of course, as we see with Christian Fundamentalists, even gross contradiction between their holy book and reality doesn't normally phase them -- they simply reject reality.

But even strong religionists sometimes change their views, as the Christian world did during several hundred years after Copernicus, Galileo and others put the kabosh on certain strict biblical interpretations. I suspect that, in the long run, most Christian sects will accept evolution in the same way they long ago accepted that the earth is not the center of the universe.

: Scientists do not always have the inclination or ability to see what they prefer not to see just as many religious fundamentalists also see only what they want and dismiss what they don't want to hear or examine.

True, but once again, history demonstrates that in the long run, science is self-correcting, and that scientists are far more likely to accept change due to new evidence than are religionists.

: The Talk Origins site is very interesting but just like anything promoting a cause or view it should be read critically not swallowed whole without some private ruminations and research.

That's exactly what the FAQ you said is noteworthy says, isn't it?

AlanF

• davegod
    davegod

Think about this.

Go way back...far far back in history.

Go back before the Internet. Go back farther.

Go back before newspapers, TV and radio.

Go waaaaay back before there was public education.

Return to a time when there were no Universities or libraries.

Go even farther back in time and return to when it was thousands of years before any Modern era.

People got their ideas from their families and neighbors PERIOD!

Everything was rumor. Everything was imagination, guesswork and superstitious reasoning.

How far back are you now? You are back to a point when you cannot PROVE anything. The person with the outrageous story, fable, idea or concept is the communicator of the MYSTICAL SENSE of how the world works.

Your local shaman, priest, rabbi, prophet, sage or witch doctor is your ONE SOURCE of "information" about the UNseen world.

There, my friends, THERE IS WHERE YOU'LL FIND GOD!

As mankind began finding a way to PROVE assertions God began to grow smaller and smaller.

As mankind invented logic, reasoning and science God shrank and grew fainter.

By the time Aristotle tutored Alexander the Great and Greece conquered the known world it was only THE GREEK PASSION FOR KNOWLEDGE that stood against the backward religious myths of indigenous peoples.

Suddenly, the God bubble popped very loudly! POP!

By the end of the Book of Malachi there is a deafening silence from "God".

By the time stories of Jesus circulated we have a wandering Rabbi filling the shoes of a latter day SOCRATES.

Jesus is a thinly disguised Socrates in his manner of teaching.

Pagan ideas, Platonic patterns and Gnostic speculations flavored the soup of Messianic passions.

But, GOD HAD VANISHED.

POP!

God has gone where the unicorns have gone and the fairies and minotaurs and demigods of old.

GOD was the best idea men could come up with before they really KNEW anything real.

God is invisible today and silent. Only hand puppets speak for him.

Believe at your own risk. The hand inside the puppet is reaching for your mind and your servitude.

Perfection in an real world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit