Does God REALLY exist? (An Attempt at an Online Bible Study)

by theMartian 121 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• theMartian
    theMartian

5go:"the evolution of ideas. First was the discovery that certain metals leave a residue on wood. Then we learned how to incase it in wood then some made the discovery that a substance from certian trees rubed it away. ( where we get the word rubber from ) then someone put one of those on one end. Now we have the modern pencil."

MFM: Yes! You GOT it! The very CORE of Evolution; atoms just happening by chance to form useful molecules, molecules just happening to form complex living cells, the cells figuring: "Hey, man, I better develop some eyse real quick to see where I'm goin'! And also some fins to help me GET there! And while I'm at it I gotta tell some other cells to make a Babe- it's too boring around here!" And it continued. I'm sure glad the cells had their act together!

alt

• timetochange
    timetochange

AlanF,

Many Christians pose a question similar to yours: "How can you act morally without God to give you moral standards?" The idea seems to be that, without belief in God, people must be fundamentally amoral and so have no incentive not to commit all manner of atrocities. The converse question, though, is a real stumper and shows why that question is self-defeating: "Are you telling me that without God to tell you not to commit all manner of actrocities, you would?" It's a stumper because answering Yes or No gets them into hot water. "Yes" means that they know they're a scumbag; "No" means that their question is bogus.

Where have a I written anything like that? On the contrary I've said that I believe most people are at heart good people! You are making false assumptions. I believe in God but I am not a Bible literalist nor do I believe the Bible is completely without error. Nothing on earth is without flaw the Bible included. It's a mistake to clump all Christians into one lump we are not all cut from the same cloth. Houghton is an example of that as are many other Christians including myself. You're not reading you're reacting.

You said you're an agnostic. What prevents you from embracing atheism completely?

• AlanF
    AlanF

timetochange wrote:

:: Many Christians pose a question similar to yours: "How can you act morally without God to give you moral standards?" The idea seems to be that, without belief in God, people must be fundamentally amoral and so have no incentive not to commit all manner of atrocities. . .

: Where have a I written anything like that?

Probably I should have said: "Many Christians pose a question similar to one implicit in your expressed beliefs: . . ." You had written:

::: I believe our great capacity to reason, to love, to have compassion, to produce beauty in art, music and architecture, to grow emotionally and mentally, to be what we are, the most powerful and intelligent beings on earth cannot be explained merely by the process of evolution alone. There is a missing piece, a missing element in all this and I believe that missing factor is a Creator.

Obviously, you believe that this "missing piece" must be filled in by the Christian God. The obvious flip side of the coin is that without such a God, people cannot have a "great capacity to reason, to love, to have compassion" and so forth. These are primary characteristics of humans, or so we like to believe. So is the capacity for morality. Hence, my comments about "many Christians post a question . . ."

Note that my comments in no way imply that you think people are bad at heart -- quite in contrast with what many Fundamentalists have expressed on this forum.

: On the contrary I've said that I believe most people are at heart good people! You are making false assumptions.

I don't think so. Do you disagree with my comments above?

: I believe in God but I am not a Bible literalist nor do I believe the Bible is completely without error. Nothing on earth is without flaw the Bible included. It's a mistake to clump all Christians into one lump we are not all cut from the same cloth. Houghton is an example of that as are many other Christians including myself.

I'm glad to hear it!

: You said you're an agnostic. What prevents you from embracing atheism completely?

The fact that I cannot absolutely disprove that some kind of creative intelligence exists. No more than I can disprove that The Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. However, I'm absolutely certain that the Christian God -- at least, the one described in the Bible -- does not exist. His antics are at once too infantile, too quixotic, too contradictory, to believe that what the Bible describes applies to a Creator capable of making our physical universe.

If I'm wrong, and some creative intelligence wants to reveal itself to me, I'm all ears.

AlanF

• timetochange
    timetochange

AlanF,

Obviously, you believe that this "missing piece" must be filled in by the Christian God. The obvious flip side of the coin is that without such a God, people cannot have a "great capacity to reason, to love, to have compassion" and so forth.

When one believes an intelligent creator exists and that he is responsible for life on earth the "flip side of the coin" is that without him there would be no life.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

timetochange

I asked the question not to learn, but rather to make a point. I know that evolution cannot provide the answer to the origins of matter- that's why I asked it!

Look, evolution is a theory about the development of biological life. It can no more explain the origin of matter than Boyle's Law can explain time dilation at relativistic velocities

In your 'ah ah aren't evolutionists silly' assumptions, you show you've not even studied what evolution is.

Evolution has many holes in it just as many as the fundy view of the Bible.

What separates YOUR view from the fundy view?

Evolution starts out with a premise

Does it? I know YOU do. Your premise is godidit

and proceeds to find evidence that appears to prove that premise while dismissing that which does not.

Wrong, again illustrating as you really don't know anything about evolution the fact you don't think it fits the evidence means little.

The fact is by the beginning of the 19th Century geology and archaeology had shown the Bible was seriously in error. All these fossils were being found, and there was no theory to explain how.

Darwin's theory was not a presumption fitted to evidence - it was a theory developed to explain how (biological) things were because there was no explanation for how things were. It filled a gap by that point the Bible no longer filled. It explained the evidence.

And this argument is soooo futile. No creation myth is provable; evolution fits the available evidence better than anything else.

Seeing as it has been around 150 years and religion 10,000, the fact it, Abiogenesis and Cosmology sill have some unanswered question is far more understandable than religions continued failure to prove it's answers are anything other than placebos; ways of understanding existence, but not reality.

The only thing that precludes religious texts creation accounts being seen as non-literal allegories is the insistence of certain believers. If they are non-literal allegories then what is wrong in believing that's how god did it?

Because accepting the Bible wasn't literally true passes up the opportunity of them declaring themselves right about every opinion they have because of an unprovable claim it is based on the Bible?

Maybe that's not your angle, but it's an obvious subtext in many.

theMartian

Everything you say about evolution shows that your disbelief is very likely due to you never having studied it properly. It is like you talking about the grammatical structure of Finnish, knowing nothing of it, and this being obvious to anyone who knew Finnish.

You misrepresent the theory and saying you don't believe in what you misrepresent. It's like me saying scientists believe gravity is caused by the Earth sucking and saying I don't believe it.

Now, you could try asking "Well, I always thought it was random. Why do people say that about evolution?" There are loads of people who'd love to give you an answer.

If you actually think knowing about a subject before passing judgement is a good idea...

• timetochange
    timetochange

I'm closing my part in this discussion for now with this quote from a Talk Origins Archive Post of the Month-August 2006 titled: An Atheist'sDefense of Religion

The writer is an atheist his post however is somewhat godly in its bold and balanced attempt to bridge a divide between people. The whole article is found here: http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/aug06.html#part2

"For the same reasons that scientists of faith are not beset by cognitive dissonance I am able to maintain that religion can be a viable and valuable human endeavor. The epistemic limitations of both "ways of knowing" lock out fundamental contradiction. Science is method. It is an operational tool for discovering natural reality. As such it is limited in scope. Science can comment only upon that which can be observed and measured. There is no operational capacity within the methodology of science for evaluation, much less dismissal, of extra-natural ideas. And as science can never be complete, it can never rule out extra-natural possibilities.

Theology, to the degree it relies upon the extra-natural, deals substantially with morality and message. It addresses understandable human concerns about the nature of their existence and, regardless of whether the message is evidentially or logically supported, is capable of offering contentment and direction to those in need. On the other hand, when theology proposes to make statements about nature, which only science is configured to address effectively, it must be prepared to cede ground. Belief in a thing can never be enough to demonstrate its factuality.

Science and religion operate in different spheres of influence. When they come together, as they do now and then, in collision or confluence, it is because of the conceits and misconceptions of humans, not any inherent compatibility or contradiction.

In making the case for religion from a less philosophical perspective, it seems clear to me that one thing none of us, atheist or theist, wants is for a massive population of flawed and fallible humans (as are we all) that believes it cannot act ethically without religion, to try to do so. The last thing we need is a bunch of people who believe they have no internal moral compass running around without their external one.

As atheists or agnostics we may feel that a believer is misguided in his acceptance of things unseen, but we have to acknowledge that science, by definition, leaves the set of things unseen unaddressed, and consequently in no way disproved.

If one accepts the methods of science one accepts that knowledge is provisional - that one can be wrong. If it's possible to be wrong, even about something so apparently fanciful as a deity, then the belief in a deity exists as an intellectually live alternative to an atheist's provisional philosophy. An acceptance, even a spirited defense of that live alternative shows both the intellectual confidence to take in and consider ideas antithetical to one's own, and an openness to a universe that will never be completely known."

• 5go
    5go
    As atheists or agnostics we may feel that a believer is misguided in his acceptance of things unseen, but we have to acknowledge that science, by definition, leaves the set of things unseen unaddressed, and consequently in no way disproved

Thats why us athiest created worship IPU and the FSM to show you heathens that they and only they exist and are the true gods.

• theMartian
  • AlanF
    AlanF

timetochange wrote:

: I'm closing my part in this discussion for now with this quote from a Talk Origins Archive Post of the Month-August 2006 titled: An Atheist'sDefense of Religion

The article you quoted is really a rehash of Stephen Jay Gould's notion of "Non-Overlapping Magisteria", which he explained in his 1999 book Rocks of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life. Gould also wrote about this in the July/August 1999 edition of Skeptical Inquirer magazine. Says a wikipedia article ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Jay_Gould ):

Gould used the term "Non-Overlapping Magisteria" (NOMA) to describe how, in his view, science and religion could not comment on each other's realm.

A good commentary on Gould's idea can be found here: http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html

Science philosopher Michael Ruse reviewed Gould's book and commented ( http://www.metanexus.net/magazine/ArticleDetail/tabid/68/id/3044/Default.aspx ):

Gould has tied things together in a short book - Rocks of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life - in which he expounds the principle by which he tries to preserve harmony and dignity between science and religion. Essentially his principle is one of separation: good fences make good neighbours. He thinks that science and religion speak to different dimensions and properly understood do not and cannot overlap and conflict. He speaks of science and religion as separate "Magisteria" - domains of understanding -- and Gould advocates the principle of "NOMA" - Non-Overlapping Magisteria. Science has its dimension and religion has its dimension and ne'er the twain shall meet.

A serious problem for religious believers exists in Gould's notion, however: religion cannot be taken as a serious explanation for phenomena that exist outside the human mind. Skeptical author Martin Gardner states in a review of Gould's book, "The religious views of Stephen Gould and Charles Darwin - Special Issue: Science and Religion: Conflict or Conciliation?" ( http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_4_23/ai_55208043/print ):

Although Gould calls himself an agnostic inclined toward atheism, his book is a passionate plea for tolerance between the two realms. Science and religion, he contends, are examples of a principle he calls NOMA, or Non-Overlapping Magisteria. There is indeed a conflict between the two if religion is taken in the narrow sense of a creed that requires God's miraculous interventions in history, and refuses to accept the overwhelming evidence for evolution. Such superstitions, by entangling the two magisteria, generate mutual enmity. If, however, religion is taken in a broader sense, either as a philosophical theism free of superstitions, or as a secular humanism grounded on ethical norms, then Gould sees no conflict between the two magisteria. Not that they can be unified in a single conceptual scheme, but that they can flourish side by side like two independent nations at peace with one another.

A poster on talk.origins comments more strongly ( http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/feedback/oct00.html ):

Re: Gould's "Rock of Ages" and the NOMA concept
    Gould really misnames the concept. As he describes it is a one-sided NOMA. Science proscribes not only its own boundaries but also the boundaries of religion. This eviscerates religion which, in Gould's scheme of things, is not allowed to discuss origins in any meaningful sense. Gould's vision is of a naturalistic science which necessarily discounts any possibility of the supernatural determining or affecting the natural. It's NOMA as far as religion is concerned, but not as far as science is concerned.

Many people disagree with Gould's NOMA notion, and have even said that Gould probably didn't believe it himself but formulated it as a way to appease religious believers. Lately, some authors have argued against Gould's idea. A wikipedia article comments ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Jay_Gould ):

Richard Dawkins in his book The God Delusion argues against the effectiveness of the NOMA principle in shielding religions from scientific scrutiny. According to Dawkins, "the God Hypothesis," that "there exists a super-human, supernatural intelligence who deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it, including us," is a scientific hypothesis, and is therefore not exempt from scientific examination. Dawkins suggests both that NOMA is wrong and that Gould did not believe in it, but simply wanted to pay lip service to certain aspects of political correctness. With the exception of this last explanation, Sam Harris has suggested the same. (Harris has not openly stated what explanation, if any, he finds tenable.)

A number of reviews of Gould's Rocks of Ages can be found in this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocks_of_Ages_(book)

I agree with Dawkins and Harris that there really is no good way to reconcile supernaturalish views of real phenomena with scientific views. History has shown time again that whenever religion and science conflict, religion tends to lose in the long run.

While the author of the article that timetochange quoted goes out of his way to be accomodating, his arguments ring hollow. A good way to see this is to replace references to "religion" and such with references to "the Tooth Fairy" and such. I've done that below. It should be evident that the quoted article can be valid only if religious belief can be demonstrated not to be on the same level of reality as belief in the Tooth Fairy.

For the same reasons that scientists of faith are not beset by cognitive dissonance I am able to maintain that belief in the Tooth Fairy can be a viable and valuable human endeavor. The epistemic limitations of both "ways of knowing" lock out fundamental contradiction. Science is method. It is an operational tool for discovering natural reality. As such it is limited in scope. Science can comment only upon that which can be observed and measured. There is no operational capacity within the methodology of science for evaluation, much less dismissal, of extra-natural ideas. And as science can never be complete, it can never rule out extra-natural possibilities.

Tooth Fairy theology, to the degree it relies upon the extra-natural, deals substantially with morality and message. It addresses understandable human concerns about the nature of their existence and, regardless of whether the message is evidentially or logically supported, is capable of offering contentment and direction to those in need. On the other hand, when this theology proposes to make statements about nature, which only science is configured to address effectively, it must be prepared to cede ground. Belief in a thing can never be enough to demonstrate its factuality.

Science and Tooth Fairy religion operate in different spheres of influence. When they come together, as they do now and then, in collision or confluence, it is because of the conceits and misconceptions of humans, not any inherent compatibility or contradiction.

In making the case for Tooth Fairy religion from a less philosophical perspective, it seems clear to me that one thing none of us, a-Tooth-Fairy-theist or Tooth-Fairy-theist, wants is for a massive population of flawed and fallible humans (as are we all) that believes it cannot act ethically without the Tooth Fairy, to try to do so. The last thing we need is a bunch of people who believe they have no internal moral compass running around without their external one.

As a-Tooth-Fairy-theists or a-Tooth-Fairy-gnostics we may feel that a believer is misguided in his acceptance of things unseen, but we have to acknowledge that science, by definition, leaves the set of things unseen unaddressed, and consequently in no way disproved.

If one accepts the methods of science one accepts that knowledge is provisional - that one can be wrong. If it's possible to be wrong, even about something so apparently fanciful as a Tooth Fairy, then the belief in a Tooth Fairy exists as an intellectually live alternative to an a-Tooth-Fairy-theist's provisional philosophy. An acceptance, even a spirited defense of that live alternative shows both the intellectual confidence to take in and consider ideas antithetical to one's own, and an openness to a universe that will never be completely known.

I want to comment on what I think is the fundamental problem with the philosophy given by timetochange's quoted author. He said:

In making the case for religion from a less philosophical perspective, it seems clear to me that one thing none of us, atheist or theist, wants is for a massive population of flawed and fallible humans (as are we all) that believes it cannot act ethically without religion, to try to do so. The last thing we need is a bunch of people who believe they have no internal moral compass running around without their external one.

This leaves out another possibility: that this "massive population of flawed and fallible humans that believes it cannot act ethically without religion" really can be educated in ethics without Tooth Fairy religion. The only reason that a great many religious people believe that ethics cannot exist without Tooth Fairy religion is that their religious teachers tell them so, and they gulliby believe it. It doesn't have to be this way.

AlanF

• jgnat
    jgnat

5go, whatever are you going on about? Did you read too fast? I'm a Christian, and logical. I trashed the original premise of this thread, which is fundamentally flawed.

It's always the faithful's lack of faith or incompetance to blame, not GOD's inaction or lack of existance.

Hey, I wouldn't mind a decently presented, logical argument. But this thread ain't it. It's not about the supposed header, the existence of God, but rather a defence for Creationism over Evolution, ergo, is the bible inerrant in it's depiction of God and creation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit