What's a JW's main motivator?

by PopeOfEruke 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

What's the main motivating force behind the average JW?

I'd say it's a fear of their own death. Fear of dying. I think the promise of everlasting life is not so much the issue, rather the average JW is terrified of death and the Watchtower Society gives them the promise of not dying.

In other words, the average JW serves God for a purely selfish reason - so they themselves can cheat death. I don't believe any or many of them have any real interest in saving the lives of the householders.

What do you think primarily motivates the average rank-and-file JW to stay in the "truth" and keep on in the mindless and boring house-to-house work?

Pope

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think it's pride. They themselves think that they alone are going to be saved and have the truth. They are proud of how much they have sacrificed.

• flipper
    flipper

Pope, I've thought the same. Everything's on hold for the paradise.I told my friend that the JW's don't think they're going to die, seriously....she got the giggles and got me going too. flipper

• Scully
    Scully

The JW belief system is one that relies heavily on guilt and shame. If you don't perform according to the WTS's expectations, the others in the group have been taught to view your poor performance (and thus "you") with contempt - in an attempt to make you feel guilt and shame and effect a desired change in your performance. In order to fit in, you have to be compliant with their minimum expectations. In order to make progress, you have to perform at a higher level. In order to achieve even more, your performance has to increase even further. If you can't maintain the status quo, it is due to a personal or character flaw, it isn't that the expectations are unreasonable and ridiculous. That's the whole message behind the "do more" mantra that permeates every Service Meeting™, Circuit Overseer's Visit™, Circuit Assembly™, District Convention™ and Special Assembly Day™.

There's also the ability to feel superior to those around you - the JW believes that what s/he is doing will allow him/her to be spared annihilation at Armageddon™, and permit him/her to Live Forever In Paradise On Earth™. The flip side of that is the fear that not doing enough will get you turned into birdfood at Armageddon™ - the sleeping in on Saturday instead of going Door-to-Door™ can be a real source of dread - there's no excuses allowed. You aren't supposed to "go on vacation" from being a JW.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Scully

are you saying the fear of destruction at Armageddon is a different motivation to the fear of just dying of old age sometime in the future?

I think it is too......

Pope

• Scully
    Scully
    are you saying the fear of destruction at Armageddon is a different motivation to the fear of just dying of old age sometime in the future?

For a JW, it is. Destruction at Armageddon™ = eternal annihilation. Dying of any cause before Armageddon™ = hope of Resurrection™.

Once a person loses that fear of eternal annihilation at Armageddon™, and start living their life with the understanding that life is finite, there is soooooooo much less anxiety and fear-related stress in a person's life. It is a very liberating experience. At least it was for me.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w88 6/15 p. 20 par. 17 Detest Utterly the World’s Disgraceful Course ***Now that we are well along into the end of this system of things, those of the "other sheep" even have the special hope of living through "the great tribulation" and not dying at all.

*** w52 2/1 p. 89 Harvest Time in Northern Europe ***In other words, creatures would be divided or separated, and those who do not honor Jehovah are scheduled for eternal destruction as by fire at Armageddon’s battle.

• Brain Dead
    Brain Dead

Good old fashion fear I think, jws. really think they are on to something that no one else in the world has got, little do they know that have hurt themselves with this intent

and have posted themselves against humanity in supporting such a corrupt organization

• R.F.
    R.F.

Speaking for myself, I say it was obedience, and being a part of something big that is supposed to be "backed by God". I felt that everything spoken at meetings and assemblies from the org was to be applied without question in order to gain God's approval. That's what led to my moving up the corporate ladder. That was until.......................................................I found the real Jesus Christ and realized what grace is all about.

• integ
    integ

I'd say the above WAS true, but I still maintain a good percentage of the Jw's still "in", are in because they are afraid of losing their friends and family.

I don't know what % exactly, but I know more than a few who are strictly going thru the motions, and really don't believe in it.

Juts my 2 cents worth.

-Integ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit