How long did it take for the elders to "give up" on you ?

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I became inactive years ago, the elders tried to visit me and talk to me, but I was able to nutralize their efforts and never answered the door or their phone calls. I just didn't want to talk to them.

Then it didn't take long for them to give up. Aftrer that, maybe once a year, they invited me to the memorial. I didn't see them more than that.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I haven't been to a meeting for 3-4 weeks. My book study conductor has left me 2 messages.I haven't heard from one other person except my best friend who is in another congregation. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. One day at a time seems to be my mantra.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

It took my mother a little bit longer to appear to give up on me than it took my father and the other elders. I guess my mom was more of a control freak than my dad. Maybe between 2 and 5 years?

Hard to say, as I can't get inside their heads, but I'm guessing that by the way they shunned pretty consistently within the first 2 years that they had indeed given up . . . who knows? If they were praying for me and maybe still are, how would I really know if they ever gave up, really?

It took me a hell of a lot longer to give up on them ever leaving the cult - maybe 25 some years? Oh well.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..How long??..About a minute and a half..I told them not to bother me again!..Ever!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• restrangled
    restrangled

The minute they came in to power after some assembly in the 70's!

r.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Welcome to the forum AWAKE&WATCHING! Good luck with your fade, you're in good company

The elders never really had much time for me to begin with, when I faded that didn't change. Had a couple of visits but they were more to clarify that I was smoking than anything else.

• poppers
    poppers

Welcome to JWD, AWAKE&WATCHING. Great name.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The first time they contacted me after I quit associating . . . 9 years.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When I quit going to meetings in 83, my wife continued. I told my wife that I didnt want to see or talk to any witnoids. That seemed to work till this day. My wife left the borg about 93.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Well, I've been inactive a year but they are still after me.

One of these days my patience is just going to run out! www.web-smilie.de

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit