WHAT "WERE" YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL? AND DID YOU GO ON TO HIGHER EDUCATION?

by juni 74 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Post your comment and VOTE us up and dub trolls down Jehovah's Witness gathering celebrates baptisms
    Billings Gazette , MT - 19 minutes ago
    He was solidifying a commitment to God that had been a long time in coming, as thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses looked on. Ball, from Whitehall, was one of ... [email protected] reporter .....College student Danielle Delzer of Helena also took the plunge Saturday. Delzer, 19, who attends Rocky Mountain College in Billings , was baptized as her parents, a brother and many people from her congregation looked on.

Delzer grew up a Jehovah's Witness.But she said she waited to be baptized until she was on her own at college for a couple of years. Going to meetings and doing service convinced her that she was ready to make the commitment.

For now, she said, that will mostly take the form of sharing her faith with her fellow college students.

"I have a great opportunity in college where kids are looking for their own religion," she said. "A lot of them haven't heard of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I find a great opportunity there." Contact Susan Olp at [email protected] or 657-1281.

• gljh
    gljh

Hmm i think due to the fact that i was good at sport,made my life a lot easier than other jdubs that went to the same school.Plus having parents that pretty much constantly fought,made me quite the angry young man.

Anyone that wanted to step to me and hassle me about my mom being a witness would get hurt.I had to beat on a couple of "worldlys"early on just so the others got the message. I was in the same as 4 other witness girls thru out high school and they were cool to me,turned a blind eye to my waywardness.I was in a few classes with another son of a jdub and he was mercilessly hassled on a daily basis.Couldnt defend himself at all.I felt sorry for him but at the same time thought"well ,better you than me buddy".I never leapt to his defense ,just let him deal with it.Which he did by burying his head and saying nothing.

Never went further with my education as i was shuttled back and forth between parents when they finally broke up,and was living with my friends at 16 .Loved partying ,i had a lot of catching up to do.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Similar story to many... Didn't belong as I was a member of that strange faith, didn't take education seriously because of the borg (now wish I had) didn't go onto higher education, just pioneered and waited for armaegeddon (when I was certain I would be destroyed)

• greendawn
    greendawn

I was nerdy and liked studying and reading too much and had few friends. Things weren't good before the final two years because there were a lot of bullies around. Then they left because they weren't interested in learning and once they completed their 16th year they could legally leave school.

Just as things would get better with many sexual opportunities appearing I got involved with the dubs and had to put a stop to all that. But I didn't heed the talks against going to university as they sounded very manipulative to me, why all the rage against further education? The local congo didn't mind it and several youngsters were attending university.

I like the way people in the USA keep in touch with fellow school pupils even after 40 years.

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

I was a part of the freak club. Lonley and rejected by most of the normal kids for being different. YaaY mee! I did go on to do a semester in community college, couldn't handle alot of the pressure of working a full time job, being a good little dub, and going to school at the same time so I dropped out. Now my life is sh*t cuz of it! I think back about it and realize I could have had my masters by now. :'( oh well foolish things.

• juni
    juni

Hi smellsgood!

Stay on track! You won't regret it later. I married at 18 (in 1967) and had my first baby at 19. Three more kiddies followed. Now I'm a grandma of 6 grandkids. Having that further education is never a bad decision!!! There's plenty of time to have a family if that is your desire. But a woman needs to have further education to get a decent paying job if something happens to her marriage or even to help support the family during these times of high prices.

Juni

Hi L Wells!

You have a very unique situation. I'm happy that your family thinks outside of the box so to speak and values further education. A Phd! Wow...... what is it in if you care to say? I wish you the best and welcome to the forum.

Juni

Thanks Danny for the interesting article! Now that is theocratic strategy!! LOL Go to college BEFORE baptism. Very interesting article. Thanks.

Juni

Thank you all for posting a little more about yourselves. I'm sure the discussion of further education will help those who are making that decision.

My grandmother who has since died was raised on an Iowa farm. She was only able to go as far as 8th grade in a one-room school house as she was needed to help w/the farm chores. She always emphasized the importance of education and that it would be needed to make a living in the future. She was a lady ahead of her times.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

In high school, I was shy, withdrawn, and sensitive. I was also a drama geek and a Spanish geek. I did not belong to any extracurricular clubs or groups. In fact, I could not wait to leave the school each day. It only got worse after grade school.

I was becoming a capable actress and was on the way to becoming bilingual. One of my teachers offered to put me in touch with a school called the Centro de Artes y Lenguas -- an immersion school in Mexico. I chickened out because it was too far away. My mother also offer to put me through theater school, but I chickened out on that too, because it would be too expensive.

Instead of going on to any kind of higher education, I became a jaydub.

Dammit.

gently feral

• juni
    juni

Good evening gently feral.

Your alias is an oxymoron isn't it? Cool idea.

Don't punish yourself. I was extremely shy in school, but then I loosened up and got into some trouble - fortunately not too serious. LOL My son is extremely outgoing and very smart. Has an excellent paying job and position for Kraft Foods. BUT he procrastinates and weighs everything out to an extreme that it paralyzes him from making a lot of decisions. He's forfeited a lot of opportunities because of it. So.......just cause you're shy doesn't mean anything...... you just have to bite the bullet and try harder. It's hard, but it really pays off and you feel so good about yourself. I know you have a lot of untapped abilities. I found that out about myself.

Knowing Spanish is a HUGE advantage in today's workforce. I wish I would've chosen that over French as I've never used it really and you forget things when you don't practice it.

I wish you the best and thanks for posting.

Juni

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

hi juni, you still look good today :-). I was fortunate enough to graduate high school during that brief period in the 90's (94-98) when college was okay, so I got to go. I'm finishing my doctorate this summer. But, I hear all the stories here, and realize how lucky I am. Anyhow, I still feel that I am awkward socially because of my JW upbringing.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

oh, and I was high school validictorian and a National Merit Scholarship Finalist (1580 on my SATs). I still remember how hard the guidance counselor laughed when my mom told them that "we weren't sure if silent is going to college or not". She thought my mom was joking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit