WHAT "WERE" YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL? AND DID YOU GO ON TO HIGHER EDUCATION?

by juni 74 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

Just a fluffy question ~~~

Were you a freak? jock? nerd?................ Post a pic if you'd like.

I was friends with everyone. Didn't consider myself a part of any group. Graduated with a 3.0, but never went on for higher education. Graduated in 1967. Got married. Worked as a secretary and then started a family and then became a floral designer.

How about you?

Lady Juni in 1967 ~~~

Lady Juni 40 years later. This is my official "coming out" guys/gals. I laugh in the face of danger!!! Piss up a rope WTB$TS ! You no longer have a hold on me......

Edited to say: This came to mind because my high school in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin is having our 40th reunion this month.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Well Juni - weren't you the Bee's Knees! Awesome pix.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i was a motorhead- still am and a doper, even though i was a good little witness boy. i smoked more weed and drank more alcohol than any of my "worldly" friends. the worst part was when my mom found my stash, like 200 dollars worth, down the toilet. i wanted to play football, i was 6'7" 300lbs. in school. and not really fat, just massive. the coaches begged me to play, but, the dubs. wouldn't let me. i could be a freaking millionair by now.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was a rebellious nerd - always in detention but great grades

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

You're beautiful Juni.

I was home schooled for high school. But not in your typical JW way and not for your typical JW reason. I actually did have a certified teacher that I went to 3 times a week. But I was always a motivated student, so I really only needed help with my worst subject MATH. I still suck at it today. I like to say I was NUMBER ONE IN MY CLASS! A little joke on my part. I did go on to higher education. And even higher education.

I guess the only thing I could say as to what I was in school would have to go back to my grade and jr. high school daze. I was the kid that crossed borders and had friends from all groups. I was the holder of secrets ... and I think that is why I started into higher education because I was going to be a psychologist and then changed my mind. Even though I was a good JW, I was never a freak and had great friends that I still have to this day.

p.s. and clearly by this posting, spelling was a sore subject as well, which I still seem to suck at ...

• Carmel
    Carmel

Jock! Got into college on basketball scholarship, had offer to try out with Seattle Rainiers baseball team but decided college held more potential... glad I made that choice... carmel

• Mum
    Mum

Withdrawn and painfully shy, self-conscious. My former classmates would describe me as "quiet." I never attended a prom or other school dance. I had a physical disability which is somewhat disfiguring, but sometimes a boy would think I was cute anyway and chat me up a bit; I never knew what to say, so I rarely said anything, just turned away and walked in the other direction. I became a full-fledged JW (the only one in my family) sophomore year (unbaptized publisher), so my quietness served me well. My sister was the pretty one without physical impairments or disfiguration, but even she didn't date or go to school social events.

My father sexually molested me on a fairly regular basis. My mother buried her head in the sand. My sister, brother and I were constantly verbally abused and beaten up badly by both parents. We had the bruises, welts and other evidence which my mother helped us hide by carefully selecting the clothing we were to wear. The JW's gave me acceptance and positive reinforcement, so I liked being with them and believed whatever they told me. I was baptized my senior year, at age 17.

It was not all bad. I did have a friend who lived on my street. Her grandmother was a JW and attended meetings at my KH. I did have some academic triumphs. I was consistently on the honor roll my senior year. I was the top student in the school in two subjects, French and Shorthand. I learned office skills so I would be able to support myself and live on my own.

I went to college because my parents wanted me to and because it was the quickest route out of their house. I felt unworthy of college, so I did not do as well as I should have. I did go back and get a degree when I was in my 30's. I left the JW's in my early 30's after I had been married an elder for 10 years and got an insider's perspective on the org -- very different from an outsider (no family in the org with you, hence not a popular favorite with JW families socially speaking).

Now I am so different. I can talk to almost anyone about almost anything. I have been married twice, once to a JW and once to a phi beta kappa. Better yet, I have been divorced twice. I feel as competent as the next person. No one beats me up. I am still mostly introverted and enjoy living alone. However, I have a wonderful group of friends who provide an awesome support system, so I am not alone unless it is my choice. My parents are deceased. My siblings live thousands of miles away. I have a good relationship with my daughter and her family who live in the same state as I.

Life does begin at 50!

Regards,

SandraC

• DJK
    DJK

I was a loner. Hated school. Never in detention and skipped one day of school in senior year. I was such a loner, no one told me it was senior skip day. I was dissappointed I didn't get in trouble for it. I smoked weed and drank beer or whiskey during study hall(outdoors in the woods). I didn't get into college until I was 40. I like school now, more than when I was young.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My father sexually molested me on a fairly regular basis. My mother buried her head in the sand. My sister, brother and I were constantly verbally abused and beaten up badly by both parents. We had the bruises, welts and other evidence which my mother helped us hide by carefully selecting the clothing we were to wear. The JW's gave me acceptance and positive reinforcement, so I liked being with them and believed whatever they told me. I was baptized my senior year, at age 17.

I am so sorry to hear your story and am pleased you are a survivor

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I went on to higher education - but I was not raised a JW so there was no issue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit