Paisley Ties Are Satanic, Sandals Are Immodest. What is Worldly????

by mtsgrad 43 Replies latest jw friends

• mtsgrad
    mtsgrad

20 years ago (in my teens!) there was a well established rumour that the Paisley pattern had demonic origins. No brothers in my hall wore ties with that pattern, until a watchtower had a brother wearing a tie with this pattern.

A CO said that sisters feet should not seen at the meetings for the sake of decency. He was ignored.

At a Circuit Assembly brothers were told not to have short back and sides as it was worldly.

What things have you been told were worldly in your cong?

mtsgrad

• blondie
    blondie

What's the origin of the paisley design?

04-Nov-1988

Dear Cecil:

What is the origin of the design known as "paisley"? Most patterns have some basis in nature, such as flower patterns, leaves, etc. A paisley looks like some sort of amoeba. What is a paisley supposed to be and how did it get that way? --Rob Marchant, Carrollton, Texas

Dear Rob:

You probably think paisley originated at the same time as the Beatles, Peter Max, and the Summer of Love. Not so. Paisley is actually an ornate pattern that was commonly used for 19th-century shawls manufactured in the town of Paisley, a textile center in Scotland. The Scots stole the idea from similarly patterned cashmere shawls made in Kashmir from goat fleece (cashmere-Kashmir, get it?), which began to be imported from India around 1800. The traditional explanation for the commalike paisley motif is that it's a pine cone, but if so it's the damnedest pine cone I ever saw. Textile historian Martin Hardingham has a better idea; he says it's "more directly identifiable with the cashew fruit and seed pod which has been a symbol of fertility for thousands of years." Ergo, sex is at the bottom of it. My mother always suspected as much.

--CECIL ADAMS

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Jesus wore sandels..???..Was Jesus a slave of fashion?.....Paisley ties represent the cashew nut and cashew nuts represents fertility..And..Fertility=sex..I could understand if it was Gumbys Nuts on a tie..But Cashews???..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

In our kneck of the woods, paisley's represented sperm, and therefore taboo.

I remember one incident standing out as an odd rule, even at the time. I was at a get-together with a whole bunch of JW families and a group decided to play basketball. I asked to play also, but was quickly told no and told that it was inappropriate for "brothers" and "sisters" to play basketball together. It was hinted that their bodies might accidentally touch eachother in naughty ways. Just thinking about the heads bobbing up and down in agreement with that one makes me laugh!

• TheKings
    TheKings

i always wondered if dubs could wear thong panties ...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I wore a Paisley tie at a talk I gave on a Circuit Assembly platform. Nothing was said

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

tampons were taboo at our lil'kingdom hall...one can only imagine why...oh,the sheer joy,the sublime erotica of using a tampon!!!again,i say it,what a buncha weirdos...

• blondie
    blondie

I have to ask, were there tampon inspections?

Would that be the sixth permanent elder designation after, PO, Secretary, Field Overseer, WT Conductor Overseer, TMS Overseer:

Tampon Inspector Overseer or would it have to be Tampon Inspector Eldress

Maybe they should add: Condom Inspector Overseer along with a list of WTS approved brands

Blondie

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was criticised for short hems, nude underwear, make up. Also criticised for listening to the Beatles, was amused by the adamant belief that puff the magic dragon was about marijuana. Paranoia runs rampant in that little insane asylum. I remember once at the wild animal park in San Diego I was watching a huge flock of flamingoes peacefully eating. Suddenly one of them squawked and they all took off running in frantic circles for a couple of minutes, then they settled down to eat again until the next one squawked for no known reason and they would all panic and run in circles again. Kinda reminds be of the old congregation.

• Mum
    Mum

If tampons were taboo, what about douching and gynecological exams? Bidets? Mon dieu!

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit