How did bible story pictures affect you?

by unique1 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mary
    Mary
    I am deathly, I MEAN DEATHLY afraid of snakes. Most people don't understand or grasp the exent I am afraid of them until they see the ultimate reaction.

I hear ya.....I'm absolutely terrified of snakes. Doesn't matter if they're 6 inches long or a python. To this day, I see a snake and I see 'Satan'. Gosh, where could I have gotten that idea from? Lemme see......I recall seeing a picture of a man's foot stepping down on the head of a large, rather pissed-off looking snake in the old Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained book when I was no more than 4 or 5 years old. That and the scripture "I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed." I always thought "gee, I guess that's why humans and snakes don't like each other----snakes are from Satan!"

• unique1
    unique1

WELCOME B_DESERTER!!

LOL Crumpet. I too wish I could seduce a man wearing a crappy peasant dress.

Scully: excellent point. I never thought of it that way. I also hate how they ask leading questions like We don't want to be like Satan Do we???

Mary: Good to know I am not alone.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

There is a pic in the Paradise Lost book of a man sitting amongst a bunch of dried-up skeletons... Elijah or one of the prophets. What took the edge off of its scariness was that my older sister drew roller skates on his feet, LOL!

Roller skates were her last Christmas present in 1971, when mom got dunked at Yankee Stadium. What the hell was was mom thinking, exposing us to such nightmarish trash?

We're big girls now but a part of me still mourns for the innocent babes we were before that sinister "children's" book entered our lives. Our little bro, thankfully, does not remember it.

~Sue

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Wasn't the story of Jesus and the demon pigs in there too? I seem to remember a picture of a bunch of pigs running off a cliff. Also the one about Jezebel being thrown off a building.

I think the one that creeped me out the most was the one of the ark and the last few people on the top of the mountian sticking out of the water with the angels departing looking down on the people they were leaving behind. That picture is the one that I remember most vividly.

• unique1
    unique1

Everyone keeps mentioning the ark. Weird how that one never bothered me. Well until that assembly where the drama was about that. Anyone remember the voices shouting outside (over the speaker system after they closed the door to the ark that wasn't on stage) "Noah, let us in" along with knocking and screaming!! That freaked me out.

The pigs, I remember that one, but it was from something else we studied a lot. I want to say the Revelation book or the Live Forever book.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

The ark picture always puzzled me because there were dinosaurs pictured as drowning, (and other most unnatural animals). My mom said that was because they were Nephilim pets. The Daniel picture made no sense, because lions crush the skulls of their prey first thing and Daniel was surrounded by nice whole skulls with the lions. And, yes, I am deadly afraid of snakes.

• Scully
    Scully
    there were dinosaurs pictured as drowning.... My mom said that was because they were Nephilim pets.

Sorry... but I'm ROFLMAO about that. That is about the silliest thing I've ever heard.

• Gordy
    Gordy

It all seem part of the Watchtowers way of scaring people to stay in the organisation.

Get them while their young, frighten them with, this is what happens to those who don't obey Jehovah and stay with His organisation.

And they go on amount "christendom" frightening people with a fiery Hell??

I know my wife was influenced by the old WT book "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained" (or was that John Milton?)

When she was about 8, JW's placed this book with her parents. The pictures of people being destroyed at Armageddon frightened her so much, that from that age onwards she wanted to be a JW.

I think its still that fear that keeps her in the organisation.

• Scully
    Scully

Here's another take on exposing children to the disturbing images and rhetoric in My Book of Bible Stories and Learn from the Great Teacher. I'm pretty certain that the WTS's publications contain similar rhetoric to what was contained in the Nazi comic books. I'll need to search the CD ROM, but I'm sure we can find something to support this similarity.

From The Lucifer Effectby Philip Zimbardo (most well-known for his Stanford Prison Experiment from 1971)

Nazi Comic Books

Hitler’s “final solution” of genocide of all European Jews began by shaping the beliefs of school children through the reading of assigned texts in which Jews are portrayed in a series of increasingly negative scenarios. At the end of these lessons in civics or geography, we see the “reasonable” discriminatory actions that Germans should take toward Jews.

This educational propaganda was intentionally designed to create a dehumanized conception of Jews among students by means of providing them with required texts that were colorful and visually told provocative narratives. Students from primary school through High School read these books.

The originator of this idea was Julius Streicher, the editor of a weekly newspaper, Das Sturmer, “The Storm Troope,” that spread anti-Semitic propaganda to the general public in Germany. The “facts” presented in his newspaper (for adults, parents, and soon-to-be recruited Nazi SS perpetrators of destruction) were carried over into these school books. Streicher sought to create a perception of Jews as a sub-human race that was a threat to the national state of Germany. The idea was for this total indoctrination of these beliefs in the minds of the young and the old to such an extent that they came to have a conviction about the inferiority of Jews and the need to eliminate the threat they posed to the purity and superiority of the Aryan race.
    The use of stereotyped conceptions of Jews as lecherous old men seducing young Aryan women, of dirty Jewish butchers, unscrupulous Jewish lawyers, hard-hearted Jewish landlords, rich Jewish business men and their wives ignoring the poverty around them, all combined to create a hate-filled image of Jews. In one of these comic books, after providing such “evidence” of the despicable nature of Jews, three conclusions are provided: kicking their children out of German schools, prohibiting them from using public facilities, like parks, and then expelling them from the country. Those “reasonable” consequences that Nazis should create for Jews foreshadows the more sinister ones of putting them all in ghettoes, then transporting them to concentration camps, and finally enacting the “final solution” of attempting mass genocide of the entire Jewish population.

Other comic books were in the guise of Geography lessons portraying different races of the world in the traditional stereotyped poses, and illustrating the dramatic comparison between handsome, strong Aryan men and weak, ugly fat Jewish men. Other images show Jews as vermin, as insects carried on the back of the devil.
    Another aspect of the process of creating dehumanized images of Jews in the minds of the German populace was later in the process of their destruction to show pictures of their naked bodies, gaunt from starvation, sickness, and overwork in such ways that it was easy to dissociate them from the rest of humanity, to make them look sub human in ways that no other peoples have been.

My access to these Nazi comic books was provided by my colleague and friend, Professor John Steiner, who after having survived 3 years in Nazi concentration camps, started a long-term project of interviewing hundreds of his former tormentors.

In addition to simply viewing the images and probably listening to their teachers discussing and explaining them, the children were required to copy the text as practice in penmanship. It was yet another form of indoctrination.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    And they go on amount "christendom" frightening people with a fiery Hell??

Weird you mention that Gordy. After I posted the other day on this thread, I actually thought about how we were constantly taught that if we sinned we'd go to hell forever. Man, even if we didn't sin that much, we were still going to spend ages in purgatory, which was as bad as hell!

In fact I don't think I had a 'heavenly hope' for as long as I was in the RC church Heaven was somewhere beyond the flames, no wonder I was so scared of dying.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit