How did bible story pictures affect you?

by unique1 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unique1
    unique1

Edited because someone came through with the picture and I think this deserves it's own topic.

I am deathly, I MEAN DEATHLY afraid of snakes. Most people don't understand or grasp the exent I am afraid of them until they see the ultimate reaction. My husband witnessed the worst one since we have been together the other week. He and others often ask Why are you so scared of the non poisonous ones? I don't know. Never have. Mom said they showed me one in the garden when I was 2 and said it was a good snake but that I shouldn't touch it. She said I seemed fine.

The earliest point of fear I can remeber is the picture in the MBoBS (I suddenly realize that is MY Book of BS. Funny) where there is a Snake on a pole and all the people are lying on the ground with tons of little snakes around them biting them and they were told to look at the snake on the pole if they wanted to live. I remember this picture more vividly than any of the other pictures. Mom said after she read that one I looked at her at all of 3 years old and said "Mommy, I don't ever want to read that story again." Apparently I won the arguement over the obedience lesson I was learning and I never read it again. Yet I can still remember the photo.

In looking up this picture I ran across the blog of a person that was afraid of dogs because of the picture of Jezabel being thrown out a window to the waiting dogs below. The dogs that were waiting just to tear her flesh apart.

So which ones scared you?

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I destroyed all my books. Does anyone have that picture and can post it so my hubby can see why I was so terrified and still am?

You can get one of your own at the Hall, you know.

Warlock

• unique1
    unique1

I Disassociated. So no, I cant' really get one. Plus no one but my friend who lives 2 hours away still talks to me.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

That's a horrible book.

Some of my great memories from my childhood.

1) Seeing the ark float by the last humans on top of that rock. Animals are either dead or dying in the flood.
    2) The wall of Jericho falling down, the soldiers seem happy and shouting and in the back ground bodies are falling from the crumpling walls.
    3) That female judge that seduced the enemy commander then drove a tentpin through his skull. She's leaving and he's lying there with blood trickling down his face
    4) Sampson ripping the lion in two. It just looked painful, both for Sampson and the lion.
    5) Little King David getting intimate with a sheep while a bear is lying bleeding behind him with a hole in his skull
    6) The ten plagues all in little pictures around the page. The last one showed the Egyptian cradling the lifeless body of his dead son.
    7) Sodom and Gamorah being destroyed by fire, I had no idea what a homosexual was, my dad had to explain it to me. I learned about homosexuals before the birds and the bees.
    8) The scouts returning with fruit from the promised land. Those grapes were huge! Okay, so it's not traumatizing, but still... like genetically mutated grapes!

I know which one you're talking about, I always used to day dream about sneaking into camp and stealing it.

• unique1
    unique1

Yeah the tent pen always got me too.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

They undoubtedly played a role in the systematic washing of my young impressionable brain.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Just reading Paralipomenon's descriptions is freaking me out even though I've never seen the book.

Hope I don't have nightmares again tonight

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The picture of Jonah and the sea monster. Mind you, Jaws was still a big deal when that book first came out.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I loved Dinah in her peasant grey dress beckoning the lecherous looking beardy Shechem...she was and is my role model!

• free2think
    free2think

The picture of Abel, dead woth blood all around was pretty graphic. And the flood picture used to freak me out, I used to imagine the people knocking on the door when the rain started, begging for their lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit