The Village - Similar to the JW's?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I saw this movie in the theater, and was expecting it to be a horror movie. It seemed boring at first. I didnt think they were a cult first, because I thought they were actually in the 1800's. But something seemed fishy as no one had a gun.

Do you all remember the very last scene where there is a group shot of these people standing outside a building? Man!! doesnt that remind you of a kingdom hall scene?

• bavman
    bavman

Never saw it. I believe that movie is rated "R" isn't it?

• undercover
    undercover

Non-JW friends of mine who saw the movie didn't like it as well as Signs, Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. But to me, it was great. The symbolism was incredible.

I think the movie appealed to people who could relate to the situation more than others, and that may be why it wasn't such a big hit.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

In the movie, a bunch of sincere people with the best of intentions go about trying to create some sort of better world for themselves (spiritual paradise). At the end, through the use of lies and manipulation, which they feel they are entitled to use for the overall good of the group, they realize that they have done more harm than good.

Russell started out with a good idea about studying the scriptures more deeply and led groups of people seeking to understand Bible truths. In the end, through the use of manipulation, a human organization and lies, this idealistic concept outgrew its origins and led to what we now know today as the Jehovah's Witnesses. They had it right at first: religion is a snare and a racket.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah I believe it was rated "R", but there wasnt any cuss words, no sex, and very little gore, so why it's rated "R" is beyond me?

• loosie
    loosie

I'd say it is very JW like. I've had people who were never JW's say the movie reminded them of JW's

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm certain that it was PG-13.

• loosie
    loosie

The Village (2004)

MPAA:

Rated PG-13 for a scene of violence and frightening situations.

• PEC
    PEC

And just like their boogeyman, Satan, does not exist.

Philip

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Yeah I believe it was rated "R", but there wasnt any cuss words, no sex, and very little gore, so why it's rated "R" is beyond me?

Nope, definately PG13. Otherwise I never would have been able to watch it. However I would LOVE to be able to watch the Matrix, since it evidently has a lot of JW parallels... but it is unfortunately rated R.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit