The Village - Similar to the JW's?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

I just watched M. Night Shyamalan's The Village, http://imdb.com/title/tt0368447/. I've seen it mentioned here before that this movie reminds people of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

What things are similar?

I'll start: The elders were the number one authority, even above the law. They were very secretive and micromanaged the lives of their people.

The leaders built lies designed to cause fear-based inaction (namely, they hid and never attempted to leave the village) in their followers.

They also led them to believe that all people outside of the village were evil and demonic horrible people.

What other things can you compare or contrast to the Witnesses? Do you think this is a good movie for people to watch to understand Jehovah's Witnesses and the secret side of them that the public eye often cannot see?

Thanks, gg/bg

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The Village - great movie! Loved it!

They had a boogeyman - just like Satan - that folks were to be afraid of.

They were to be 'no part of the world' - lies were made up to support the 'reason'.

Regards,

Jim TX

• eclipse
    eclipse

I would not be surprised if the movie was inspired based on the JW relifion, or any cult really...

All the parallels are there...if you watch it closely....

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

The parallels are indeed strikingly similar. In fact, I didn't get very far in to it before I blew the storyline for the folks I was watching it with

• Confession
    Confession

It was not long before my full awakening regarding the WTS that I saw this movie with my daughter. The similarities to the organization struck me right between the eyes.

One other parallel (I believe.) The "elders" were convinced they were doing what was right for the people of the Village. These things can start out with the best of intentions. But if, in the end, these good intentions create a world of lies, deception and manipulation, it is an evil thing. And those intentions do not redeem the evil.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    One other parallel (I believe.) The "elders" were convinced they were doing what was right for the people of the Village. These things can start out with the best of intentions. But if, in the end, these good intentions create a world of lies, deception and manipulation, it is an evil thing. And those intentions do not redeem the evil.

Yes! That is a parallel!

Also they were bloodguilty (in my opinion) for letting people get sick and die rather than "break their oath" by going out to get modern medicines.

That was another one. With her future son-in-law dying in a bed from knife wounds, the woman says to her husband in an extremely panicked and desperate manner, "But you took the oath, YOU! TOOK! THE! OATH!" She was choosing an oath over the welfare of a person.

Sound familiar to anyone?

And then when the "accident" occurred, the elders were the final say. Never mind that they now had a murderer in their midst. Why would the police need to know something like that? In other words, the elders were the law in this movie, just as they are in the minds of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Man, all this stuff went way over my head! I didn't put two and two together until I read the threads about the movie on here!! D'oh!!

BB

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Oh and what about how red was "the bad color?" And how people buried anything red they had or saw. It drew the "ones of whom we do not speak."

Isn't that just like the JW's in that people are not to have anything to do with whatever the WTS dictates, and the reason given is because it makes us more susceptible to Satan the Devil?

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Man, all this stuff went way over my head! I didn't put two and two together until I read the threads about the movie on here!! D'oh!!

BB

Man, I know what you mean, BB! The first time I saw this I believed everything that ever came "from the platform." I was a believing and active Jehovah's Witness. I hadn't seen it since then and have been meaning to watch it with my new eyes. Believe me, if you watched it again, so many things would pop out at you.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

In the end, it was all an illusion.

Just like the spiritual paradise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit