The Village - Similar to the JW's?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"And how people buried anything red they had or saw. It drew the "ones of whom we do not speak.""

This was an obvious metaphor for masturbation, and the resulting demons-who-like-to-watch.

And people wonder why I'm an exhibitionist*.

*Euphemistic term for "pervy flasher".

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

The elders created a bunch of useless rules, like avoiding the color red, or yellow is good, that served no purpose except to keep the villagers in fear.

The JW elders create a bunch of useless rules, like don't watch harry potter/smurfs, or buying a magic 8 ball will get you possessed.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Could the forbidden shed = anti-JW material?

No one was permitted to look inside...

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

While I was watching the movie I wondered if the Governing Body is like the town elders. Did they at some point discover that the whole belief system is a myth but decided to keep up appearances because they somehow feel they are advancing the greater good by "protecting" their followers from the evils of the "world?"

• horrible life
    horrible life

Man, all this stuff went way over my head! I didn't put two and two together until I read the threads about the movie on here!! D'oh!!

BB

I loved this movie, and saw it at the theater, and have told many, many people to watch it. Never once, did it dawn on me that it had similarities. I am like Bumble Bee. I have to go buy this movie now. I have been wanting to see it again anyway.

• Frank75
    Frank75

As they say in the movies...."spot on Chris!"

(actually from Monty Python)

Frank75

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I saw this movie at the theatre with my daughter, early in the movie I leaned over and whispered "it's some kind of cult". Later in the movie when she saw I was right, my teen-age daughter was actually impressed!

I felt pretty proud of myself too, I realized my cultdar was working very well.

Loved the movie.

• Confession
    Confession

Could the forbidden shed = anti-JW material?

No one was permitted to look inside...

I'd say that, since the shed could be accessed by the elders--but no one else, it was more like the library filing cabinet and/or private "Shepherding the Flock" elders' manual.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

These are all very good!

Why do you think they spoke in such an affected way? Like old English? Just so they would be THAT much different? I guess I understand they were meant to be living in the late 1800's, but some of it is just so strange...

But that part of it reminded me of the JW's not celebrating birthdays. Sure, I understand that it is because two godly men were murdered at birthday celebrations in the Bible, and sure, I understand that it's celebrating the "creation" instead of the "creator," but one could also argue that Jesus' birth was celebrated in the Bible (there's a verse to back it up, even) and that celebrating the "creation" is also giving respect to the "creator." But that's neither here nor there, I PERSONALLY believe that birthday celebrations and holidays as well are all not allowed to make JW's *that* much different than everyone else. So that if they leave, they absolutely will not fit in with "normal society." Along with the neutrality/no voting/no getting involved in politics. Just another way to make it harder to leave the flock.

What do you think?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I need to revisit that movie - but I do recall that it seemed like the bOrg to me in many ways upon reflection.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit