DO THE MEMBERS OF THE GB BELIEVE THEIR OWN PROPAGANDA?

by nvrgnbk 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nvrgnbk
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

That is a fantastic question, nvr. I haven’t been able to make up my mind about this yet. Here are the reasons why I think they might and the reasons why I think they might not.

Reasons why they might believe their own propaganda

The organization requires strict loyalty and obedience in order to move up the ranks. One would think that these men have to buy into what they’re teaching in order to demonstrate the required traits to move up the chain. After all, when we became convinced that the JWs were not the one true religion, most of us could no longer hold up appearances. Any hint of doubts would be sniffed out and would spell the end of their theocratic career. These men do not receive considerable financial compensation for their services (yes, I know all about green handshakes, gifts, etc.). Their primary motivators are power, position, and pride. As I understand it, many of these guys underwent considerable hardships in their lives (some of the dead GB were imprisoned and such). Why go through all that just for the sake of power, position and pride. Why not seek those things out, plus financial rewards, in some “worldly” organization?

Reasons why they might NOT believe their own propaganda

There has been a whole host of adjustments on doctrinal positions based on the threat of lawsuits (blood fractions, pedophiles in position of responsibility, restructuring of the Watchtower corporations, etc.). If these men truly believed that this is the “truth” and that they enjoy the protection of the Almighty, why change their positions? Shouldn’t Jehovah step in to protect them from harm? In my opinion, this is the biggest sign that they do not believe what they preach. If I had been on the GB back when I was a sincere JW, there’s no way I would have accepted changes in doctrine based on the threat of lawsuits. I would have been certain that Jehovah would let no damage come to his people. Also, why is the Society so concerned about apostates and opposers (apostaposers, if you will)? If they have the truth, why not defend it against criticisms? Let you your line shine, etc.

The question is much more complicated than I have outlined, but I don’t want to write a dissertation on the subject. In short, I think the evidence that they do NOT believe their propaganda is stronger than the evidence that they do believe it. However, it’s hard to say since I don’t know these men personally and I have no real inside of knowledge of their inner workings. I’m interested in hearing other poster’s reasoned opinions on this subject.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nice summation never!

I too am undecided on this subject, hence the posting of the topic.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do you believe it?

What makes you think they do?

• R.F.
    R.F.

Interesting question. It's also one that crossed my mind a bit today by the way. I have to say that I pretty much agree with neverendingjourney. To briefly put it, I think they do and I think they don't, but I think neverendingjourney pretty much covered my thoughts in a more detailed way.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Do you believe it?

What makes you think they do?

Did you ever believe it at one point? The question is more complicated than that. There are a lot of JWs that truly believe this crap. I was among them at one point. The question is whether the leadership at the very top believes their own teachings.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Do the members of the GB believe thier own Propaganda???..Of coarse they do!!..Untill it`s inconvenient!..Then they don`t!.....If you still believe it,you will be causing division in the congragation.You will be "Dis-FellowShipped" for that!.....Welcome to the WBT$ Insane Asylum!!.. ..LOL!!...OUTLAWCrazy Eyes

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Are they afflicted by delusions of grandeur?

Or do they cynically laugh at the rank and file?

Or a little of both?

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

They are on top of the food chain and are responsible for the gathering of the flock/slaves and the running of the corporation. They have the important task of sustainability

to make a living not only for themselves but for all the workers/slaves that work at headquarters. This has to be acknowledged when you realize that this small group of men have mediate

power and control over 7 million people so perhaps maybe the question may be do they have a choice ?

The original effort after all was to empower these men, they BS..ed a whole lot to get that power but never the less they succeeded.

I guess you can say the bible really is a good book

• JK666
    JK666

I think that the Governing Body believes they are right in anything they do for three reasons:

1. They are the Faithful and Discreet Slave, therefore are ordained by God so will not err.
    2. They are a bunch of yes men, otherwise they would not have moved up the ranks to this position.
    3. Groupthink.

Groupthink: a pattern of thought characterized by self-deception, forced manufacture of consent, and conformity to group values and ethics (Merriam Webster)

Irving Janis devised eight symptoms that are indicative of groupthink (1977)

1. A feeling of invulnerability creates excessive optimism and encourages risk taking.
    2. Discounting warnings that might challenge assumptions.
    3. An unquestioned belief in the group’s morality, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.
    4. Stereotyped views of enemy leaders.
    5. Pressure to conform against members of the group who disagree.
    6. Shutting down of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.
    7. An illusion of unanimity with regards to going along with the group.
    8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting opinions.
    (Janis, Irving L. Victims of Groupthink. Boston. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1972, page 9)

How many of these eight symptoms apply to the GB??????????????

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit