Discussion with Elder....a must read story

by drew sagan 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I do expect a judicial committee at some point in time but, how soon? My prediction is that this elder is going to dilly-dally and try to put off reporting back to the rest of the elders for as long as possible. He will tell the other elders not to worry about Drew and Amber because he's taken care of it. The other elders will start getting impatient, wondering why we aren't coming back to the KH, and send in reinforcements, then will come the judicial committee. Some of you mentioned borg loyatly, ab little background on this elder, he was baptized in the 90's - they don't build them like they used to.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Amber Rose, for the first 3 years we were out, we expected a J.C. "any day now." Both of us are from well-known families, mine is rather high-profile in WT, and routinely entertain their "best friends" - one of the GB members and his wife, and I was then quite well known to both of them, though considered quite weak before we left the organization. The J.C. never happened, I suspect because any encounters we had with the JWs (which were rare,) we were selective with our topics, and followed through until there was no defense left. At one point I told an elder's wife (in the elder's presence) that I would NEVER raise a child of mine as a JW, due to the ridiculous education policies, two-witness rule, social pressures, etc. We expected that surely THEN we would be J.C'd, since admitting that you would not want your child to be raised JW is tantamount to announcing you are no longer a believer. But nothing. We attended our last meeting in November of '02, and consider our fade successful. Hopefully this will be the case for the two of you also.

• jdough
    jdough

You might find this interesting re 607 http://www.jonathan.freehyperspace.com/

• uninformed
    uninformed

Real good job Drew. I admire your effort.

In my case I discussed issues with an elder who told me that "you have serious questions that deserve serious answers", but different from you situation, he did not seem the least bit sincere to me.

Eventually he led the charge against me and my wife and I were df'd...THANK GOD.

The real point is, you tried to help a person at great personal cost to you. I hope he benefits.

Proud to know you.

Brant

• Deleted
    Deleted

That was extremely well done, Drew. I doubt that I could have made it through without losing it. I am inclined to agree with Minimus that "Loyalty to the Org" will be the focus from the elder you spoke to, otherwise the natural course for him is to be one of us! When you do start being honest about da troof, you will eventually have to leave. Glen

• eclipse
    eclipse

Drew,

What a great read! I am an optimist, and I believe that the elder will not turn you in, I think you gave him the little push that he needed to confirm the doubts already in his mind.....all he needed was confirmation that he wasn't the only one with doubts! I'm hopeful that your conversation hit home. If you do ever get told to attend a JC, I doubt that it be because of this elder ratting you out...maybe I am naive, but I believe in the goodness of individuals....

• brinjen
    brinjen

I understand the pessimism expressed by many.

But I think this elder will be forever changed by this conversation.

Once we verbally admit to what the mind has been trying to tell us for so long, there's really no turning back, IMHO.

My sentiment exactly. He's said it now, he can't deny it and it is my feeling you've managed to sow some seeds of doubt with this elder.

Congratulations, done well.

• bebu
    bebu

I appreciate your posting this story. Like you said, everyone is different. You went thru the open door before you. You would have regretted it forever if you hadn't. Whatever the final results (and I think there is hope), you did a great job. Sounds like a guy you'll be glad to have as a friend, too!

Maybe you guys can do a little more demolition work before the three of you get booted!

bebu

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Maybe this elder might show some honesty and integrity and leave this organization of lies and false pretense

nice going Drew .................

• Mikeus
    Mikeus

Wow, excellent job Drew. Every encounter I've had with an elder either ended with them enraged or repeatedly inviting me back to the Hall. If it's not too much trouble, would you post the outline you went over, or even just some resources that you used? That would be greatly appreciated!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit