...what was your 1st expirence like inside of a church?

by A-Team 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

funny enough, i went to another church for the first time yesterday. my aunt was in town from atlanta, staying with other relatives i didn't really know. they invited us to their church. it was a non-denomonational church. it was weird, all the people were saying PRAISE JESUS and PREACH IT alot during the service. i really wasn't impressed with the message, or the speaking in tongues, i was, however, impressed that they had a sense of humor about themselves, and the pastor didn't seem to care what people thought of him. he was straight up. when we went back to my relatives house for lunch, my cousins husband and i discussed the bible. i was impressed how much he knew about the bible and his outlook on it. i still don't believe the bible is god's word, but, he agreed we can get together and chat about it. i respected the fact that though i was straight up with him, and told him about how i felt about the bible, he wasn't the least bit rude to me. his personality to me didn't change. in fact, we got pretty close, and are gonna start hanging out. i don't think i will attend the church again, and told him this, and he just said he respected that. it was a breath of fresh air to hear someone with such faith to be so passive. i felt really comfortable.

• Monkeyironfoot
    Monkeyironfoot

I'm a Photographer and I do a lot of weddings inside other churches so it is no big deal to me, just a building.

• Satanus
    Satanus

My first time, i was still a jw. I was scared and nervous. The visiting preacher at the pentle church seemed very kind. Pentacostal churches seemed to be the place to be from the parts of the bible that i was reading at the time.

S

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Gawd, the first time I went to a service in a church - I thought lighting would strike me down at the doors!! lol Just kidding (well kinda, maybe, sorta).

I went to a friends church (Pentacostal). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone was very nice, the service was quite different than what I was used to (had only ever been at the KH).

Went to a few "Community" churches as well.

I never really felt like I fitted in though.

BB

• byz
    byz

its strange so many of you focussed on the building. Im part of a Church that meets in a local commun ity hall and in homes across the area. Its 'evangelical and charismatic' not sure if you guys know what those terms mean, and I'm from the Uk.

Been to Jw meetings and conventions in the past..... the singing is soooooo awful, the songs are bland beyond description!! pretty books though!!

sorry to sound so shallow.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

byz - I think why people comment on the buildings is because of only going to the KH. It's a totally different experience! One of the "community" churches I attended was in a rented room at a community centre. Nothing special or fancy about it, but that congregation had spirit and heart!!

I remember the first time I went inside a Catholic Church. It was a little country church, was built in the 1800's. It was beautiful!! I was speechless, awe struck, and this was just alittle country church. I couldn't imagine what some of the larger "Cathedrals" looked like, this was so beautiful. I've been in a few Catholic Churches that were more modern as well (reminded me of a KH).

BB

P.S. - I agree with you on the singing part. What a difference!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I almost forgot - Welcome byz!!

BB

• NanaR
    NanaR

As a JW, I was "inside a church" several times -- for weddings, music recitals, nursing school pinnings, etc. These were all Protestant churches and the events were not actual church services. Walking into a church building for such events never bothered me (and apparently did not worry my raised-in-the-religion JW mother either).

By contrast, I remember being told that even walking in the door of a Catholic Church would make one subject to congregation discipline (not sure if that is actually true, but that's what I was told). So I never even thought about entering a Catholic Church and thereby missed the weddings of several of my husband's close family members and funerals of others.

As to my status now, I consider myself "not a JW" from the fall of 2003, although I haven't submitted an official letter.

Last fall, at about the same time I joined this board, I attended a Catholic church service. It was a life-changing experience for me. My brief account of that experience is here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/123813/1.ashx

In January, I started attending Mass every Sunday and continue to do so. I plan to start RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) in August with a view to being baptized next Spring.

Ruth

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I went to a Baptist church last September, about a year after my last jw meeting. I was apprehensive about going, but went to support an ex jw friend of mine who wanted to go. It was fine, very friendly and a lot more joyful than attending the kh. I've been once more since, again having been asked by my friend, who was being baptised as a christian that day.

I wouldn't go regularly, but I'd go again if she asked me.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I've never felt too bad about going into a church (such a rebellious JW, I know) maybe it ahd something to do with the fact that when I was growing up our Kingdumb hell was in a church, can you believe it????!!!!!! I always make a point of visiting Cathedrals when I'm near them as the architecture always amazes me and makes me think about how the people building them must've had great faith and dedication (that, or they were paid an obscene amount of £££). I've been to a couple of Catholic weddings which always seem a bit bizarre with all the customs/ritual. However, this weekend we went to a wedding blessing in an Anglican church and it was wonderful, the Pastor gave a great talk and the singing was amazing (more to do with the band's singer) and if I lived nearer it would be the church of my choice so far. Haven't been to any local to me. If any of my JW friends knew I was contemplating it, they'd pass out. :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit